09/23/17 - Rio de Janeiro, BR - Rock In Rio Festival

gunsguy

48 minutes ago, andy_rose said:

Ok, my friends are drunk, they love u could be mine right now. actually i might be drunk, bc this is awesome! slash yeahhhh

Must have been drunk.. Even It's So Easy sucked wasn't so great.. I couldn't get past a few songs.. When Jungle even blows, you know it is bad... 

5 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

If Axl is not made aware of how his vocal performance was received on this, Team Brazil can go suck a big one. Yes men are a big part of this problem. Maybe no one has the heart to tell him. Just watched GNR and Aerosmith and it was very underwhelming instead of a triumphant return. Performances like Yesterdays and YCBM are not just not good but unlistenable. I would never show something like that to anyone who's not a GNR fan in fear of getting laughed at. 

I'm not angry about this, but just very sad that my favourite band delivered something on that level. Aerosmith started 1973 and put on a much better show making this all the more sad. But I get the feeling Axl walked off that stage with no one telling him anything was wrong. So it never ends.

seriously, it is IMPOSSIBLE that axl doesnt know, he can hear himself right?

Axl is a jerk for doing AC/DC right before the reunion shows. To announce that the band is reuniting and then going to another band is as disrespectful as it gets. You would never see another lead singer pull some shit like that. Not only did he give that band his best vocals, but it took the thunder out of the GNR reunion. 

I hope this thing ends soon so I can see these musicians join up with a singer that actually gives a fuck.

On ‎26‎-‎09‎-‎2017 at 11:08 AM, SWINGTRADER said:

A bad lead singer will make any band look bad.   

The "slash and Duff are back!" factor is gone and it can no longer hide Axl embarrassing vocals. 

You watch any old performance from this band, and it is like watching a totally different band. This band aged so badly.

Just look at Aerosmith, that is how it is done. And they are dinosaurs compared to GNR. 

The Who's set put GNR's to shame. It is sad.

Well this was not the best show for sure, sad so sad. But Houston last year, and many other shows they played even better than Areosmith and The WHO does these days. damn they were on fire in Houston, i don't think than was dinosaurs.                                                                                                                                                   A

14 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Axl is a jerk for doing AC/DC right before the reunion shows. To announce that the band is reuniting and then going to another band is as disrespectful as it gets. You would never see another lead singer pull some shit like that. Not only did he give that band his best vocals, but it took the thunder out of the GNR reunion. 

I hope this thing ends soon so I can see these musicians join up with a singer that actually gives a fuck.

Sorry, but you're way off from reality here, on so many counts. For starters, AC/DC are one of the biggest bands on the planet, most people would probably even say bigger than GN'R. And the guys in GN'R grew up loving AC/DC - any of them would give their left nut to tour with AC/DC if presented with the opportunity, and the same could probably be said for nearly any other member of any other band. There's nothing disrespectful about stepping in to help out a band of their stature who had just been delivered blow after blow for the last two years when and entire tour is in danger of being cancelled. 

And lets be honest - the shows last year are as good as you we're gonna get from Axl anyways. The fact that he could turn it on for AC/DC in Europe, turn it off (relatively speaking) and turn it back on for AC/DC in the US is evidence enough for that. He didn't blow his voice out doing AC/DC, every show was stronger than the last vocally. And this year there's no excuse for him to "hold back" on his vocals for GN'R - every show since the reunion started, he's given exactly the vocals he intended to give. 

• Like 1

I was actually very happy for Axl because he finally had a project other than GN'R for the first time since the mid-'80s. He also got huge support from his band mates (current and former) in GN'R, especially Slash, Duff and Tommy.

Edited by Sosso

14 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Holy over-reaction Batman!  

I can't believe some people think this, if the band you loved since you were young wanted to give you the opportunity to sing for them on tour dates booked where they don't have a singer and you would be a big help - you would have to be the biggest idiot in the entire world to pass up that opportunity

2 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Sorry, but you're way off from reality here, on so many counts. For starters, AC/DC are one of the biggest bands on the planet, most people would probably even say bigger than GN'R. And the guys in GN'R grew up loving AC/DC - any of them would give their left nut to tour with AC/DC if presented with the opportunity, and the same could probably be said for nearly any other member of any other band. There's nothing disrespectful about stepping in to help out a band of their stature who had just been delivered blow after blow for the last two years when and entire tour is in danger of being cancelled. 

And lets be honest - the shows last year are as good as you we're gonna get from Axl anyways. The fact that he could turn it on for AC/DC in Europe, turn it off (relatively speaking) and turn it back on for AC/DC in the US is evidence enough for that. He didn't blow his voice out doing AC/DC, every show was stronger than the last vocally. And this year there's no excuse for him to "hold back" on his vocals for GN'R - every show since the reunion started, he's given exactly the vocals he intended to give. 

Let me ask you a question. If Axl/D.C played Rock In Rio, would Axl embarrass himself the way he did with GNR? Of course not, he would make sure he is at his possible best for AC/DC.That is where the disrespects come in.

The man did more promotion and TV with AC/DC than he did for GNR. 

Had he kicked ass for GNR this Would not be an issue, but if is clear that he holds AC/DC  at a higher regard than he does GNR and his band mates. 

The man sounds better doing guest appearances for Billy Joel, for goodness sake. It is obvious that he hates performing for GNR, and the money is the only reason why he hasn't retired the band, 

I think it would be great if Izzy and Steven got back together with Slash and Duff and released music with a new singer. That would be interesting to see.

Edited by SWINGTRADER

2 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Let me ask you a question. If Axl/D.C played Rock In Rio, would Axl embarrass himself the way he did with GNR? Of course not, he would make sure he is at his possible best for AC/DC.That is where the disrespects come in.

The man did more promotion and TV with AC/DC than he did for GNR. 

Had he kicked ass for GNR this Would not be an issue, but if is clear that he holds AC/DC  at a higher regard than he does GNR and his band mates. 

The man sounds better doing guest appearances for Billy Joel, for goodness sake. It is obvious that he hates performing for GNR, and the money is the only reason why he hasn't retired the band, 

I think it would be great if Izzy and Steven got back together with Slash and Duff and released music with a new singer. That would be interesting to see.

So you think it's disrespectful that he sounds better with AC/DC than with GN'R? Because that's not at all what your first post said; you said, and this is a direct quote "To announce that the band is reuniting and then going to another band is as disrespectful as it gets".

Listen - I'm not disagreeing that Axl sounded better with AC/DC than with GN'R, particularly this year, but I think there's more to it than he cares more about AC/DC than GN'R. I think there's two components at play here. First of all, Axl seems to put in more effort on material that's new to the set - this has been true all through the NuGN'R era. Going back to 2001-2002, the CD songs being played were by far the strongest vocally. 2006 and 2010 are outliers, since Axl was in excellent shape vocally during both these eras. In 2011, Estranged, Civil War, and Riff Raff were some of the stronger songs vocally - all new to the set that year. On the UCAP tour he put in the most effort on the unusual songs like You're Crazy, Mama Kin, Dead Flowers, etc. 2013/2014 didn't really have many strong vocals at all - there were no new songs in the set until the very end of the 2014 residency, when Axl was on fire all of a sudden again. Even last year, Coma was one of the stronger moments vocally, despite the fact that it's one of the most difficult GN'R songs to sing. Yesterdays sounded great, but this year now that it's a regular it's been weaker. TWAT has always been incredible anytime it's been played, even during weak vocal eras - look how infrequently it's been played. So I think Axl seems to give more effort when he's singing material he's not used to singing night in and night out - and look at AC/DC; it's all songs he's not used to singing. Now, I'm not saying he isn't to blame for this one, since he's most likely the reason GN'R setlists don't see more variety. 

The other thing I think is at play is Axl has an easier time singing the AC/DC songs than GN'R songs these days. They're generally in a very comfortable range for him to bring the rasp on. Also, generally speaking, vocal finesse isn't as important as it is in GN'R - in AC/DC it's more about attitude and power. Keep in mind there are a few songs where Axl sounded weak with AC/DC; namely TNT, Dirty Deeds, Dog Eat Dog, and Touch Too Much. These songs are a lot closer in range to most GN'R songs where Axl sounds weaker too - his strongest songs vocally with AC/DC were the early Brian songs, which are way up in the stratosphere. 

As for the promotion thing, in AC/DC he doesn't have a choice - it's not his band, he's got to follow Angus' rules. GN'R has always been pretty quiet when it comes to promotion, so this is a non-issue in my mind, it's just two different ways of functioning. 

Finally, here's something to think about. If he truly does hate GN'R, and is only doing it for the money, are you surprised, and can you blame him? GN'R has caused him years, decades of personal hell. Lawsuits, animosity, record label blockages - GN'R has never been an easy ride for him. The current lineup is becoming increasingly clear to be a working relationship - they function fine onstage as a tight live band, but there's not a lot of interaction, and what they're like offhand is a mystery. So the AC/DC opportunity presents itself and it's a band where he can go out and just enjoy himself. There's no pressure from a business perspective, he doesn't have to run the show, and he gets to sing for a band he's always idolized - can you really blame him if AC/DC is more fun than GN'R is for him? 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

If Axl sounded like this in GNR last year and tore it up with ACDC, I would have been furious.

Instead, he killed it with both. I think he had a fire in him knowing he had to kill it with both bands. Now the microscope is off of him, it explains why this year hasnt compared to any 2016 show

6 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

If Axl sounded like this in GNR last year and tore it up with ACDC, I would have been furious.

Instead, he killed it with both. I think he had a fire in him knowing he had to kill it with both bands. Now the microscope is off of him, it explains why this year hasnt compared to any 2016 show

Axl did not sound as bad as he does now last year but it was not that great either.  Not even close to the quality of AC/DC.  There were even threads on the topic. Let's not attempt to rewrite history. There were many angry posters during the U.S shows complaining about this. The only time Axl sounded somewhat decent was when he was sitting in Grohl's chair. His voice never reached 2010 levels. 

7 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

So you think it's disrespectful that he sounds better with AC/DC than with GN'R? Because that's not at all what your first post said; you said, and this is a direct quote "To announce that the band is reuniting and then going to another band is as disrespectful as it gets".

Listen - I'm not disagreeing that Axl sounded better with AC/DC than with GN'R, particularly this year, but I think there's more to it than he cares more about AC/DC than GN'R. I think there's two components at play here. First of all, Axl seems to put in more effort on material that's new to the set - this has been true all through the NuGN'R era. Going back to 2001-2002, the CD songs being played were by far the strongest vocally. 2006 and 2010 are outliers, since Axl was in excellent shape vocally during both these eras. In 2011, Estranged, Civil War, and Riff Raff were some of the stronger songs vocally - all new to the set that year. On the UCAP tour he put in the most effort on the unusual songs like You're Crazy, Mama Kin, Dead Flowers, etc. 2013/2014 didn't really have many strong vocals at all - there were no new songs in the set until the very end of the 2014 residency, when Axl was on fire all of a sudden again. Even last year, Coma was one of the stronger moments vocally, despite the fact that it's one of the most difficult GN'R songs to sing. Yesterdays sounded great, but this year now that it's a regular it's been weaker. TWAT has always been incredible anytime it's been played, even during weak vocal eras - look how infrequently it's been played. So I think Axl seems to give more effort when he's singing material he's not used to singing night in and night out - and look at AC/DC; it's all songs he's not used to singing. Now, I'm not saying he isn't to blame for this one, since he's most likely the reason GN'R setlists don't see more variety. 

The other thing I think is at play is Axl has an easier time singing the AC/DC songs than GN'R songs these days. They're generally in a very comfortable range for him to bring the rasp on. Also, generally speaking, vocal finesse isn't as important as it is in GN'R - in AC/DC it's more about attitude and power. Keep in mind there are a few songs where Axl sounded weak with AC/DC; namely TNT, Dirty Deeds, Dog Eat Dog, and Touch Too Much. These songs are a lot closer in range to most GN'R songs where Axl sounds weaker too - his strongest songs vocally with AC/DC were the early Brian songs, which are way up in the stratosphere. 

As for the promotion thing, in AC/DC he doesn't have a choice - it's not his band, he's got to follow Angus' rules. GN'R has always been pretty quiet when it comes to promotion, so this is a non-issue in my mind, it's just two different ways of functioning. 

Finally, here's something to think about. If he truly does hate GN'R, and is only doing it for the money, are you surprised, and can you blame him? GN'R has caused him years, decades of personal hell. Lawsuits, animosity, record label blockages - GN'R has never been an easy ride for him. The current lineup is becoming increasingly clear to be a working relationship - they function fine onstage as a tight live band, but there's not a lot of interaction, and what they're like offhand is a mystery. So the AC/DC opportunity presents itself and it's a band where he can go out and just enjoy himself. There's no pressure from a business perspective, he doesn't have to run the show, and he gets to sing for a band he's always idolized - can you really blame him if AC/DC is more fun than GN'R is for him? 

There is no excuse to intentionally sing like shit when people are paying to see you perform. You are making excuses for him. As for 2011 and Estranged, I disagree with you, he sounded awful. He sings the first part ok, but the 2nd part is a weak mess. It has been like that ever since he reintroduced the song. He hasn't sung that song properly since the 90's. 

I think you made the point in your post for Axl's unprofessionalism and disregard for his GNR fanbase. 

Axl didn't sing well in 2010 because he was in great shape vocally, he sang well because he gave a fuck. For whatever reason he felt he had something to prove that year. Just like he had something to prove for ACDC. You don't go from sounding like you do in 2010 to then sounding atrocious just a few months later. Those drop offs don't happen in that short of time. That is Axl just refusing to sing properly. Axl turns it off and on whenever he wants. That is why people get angry.  

Edited by SWINGTRADER

38 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Shouldn't they do anniversary show for Lies first ?  One in a million .... at the Apollo ? :facepalm:

Anniversary shows? Where's that coming from? We didn't have an Appetite anniversary show as far as I am concerned. Wouldn't make sense to do that for another album. But whatever.. :shrugs:

15 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Haven't read rest of thread, but this caught my attention.  Great post.  I hadn't really thought about it quite like that, so thanks for the insight.  It's certainly something to think about.