Speculation: Skin N' Bones 2018?

Most of us are tired of the NITL setlist. I am hoping that the 2018 tour will be based on the 1993 Skin N Bones set.

As most of us old timers recall, 1993 SnB show was radically different from the 1992 circus era tour.

I caught the opening night of the Skin N' Bones tour in Austin, Texas on February 23, 1993.

25 years later, it is still one of the top 5 shows I have ever seen.

It put the Houston September 4, 1992 and 2016 GNR shows I caught, to shame!

I have a feeling that a second round of North American dates set for Spring of 2018 will go on sale in December. 

I think the easy money of touring North American arenas will be too hard from the big three to resist.

A 2018 Skin N' Bones (electric/acoustic/electric) style show could entice casual fans to spend big bucks to see GN'R again.

Thoughts?

Agreed. the Skin N' Bones show I saw was the best show I have ever seen in my life and I have seen a shitload of bands.. Incredible...  Apparently they are too focused on Chinese Democracy to do anything cool like that.  Not sure how those songs would translate to acoustic.. A good rock song that can't be played on acoustic.. Isn't a good rock song..  I wasn't tired of the set list.. It worked for most of the tour but now it just sucks for people that don't like Chinese Democracy.. Glanced at the set list from last night.. Nothing to even keep me interested watching YouTube performances anymore.. I had been watching videos from almost every show up until the last few months.. Never mind going to see them again..

But yeah Skin N' Bones.. Hands down the best show I have ever attended

It's So Easy
Brownstone
Nice Boys
(Near Riot)
The Garden
Live and Let Die
Jungle
Attitude
Double Talkin Jive
You Ain't The First
You're Crazy
Used To Love Her
Patience
KOHD
November Rain
Dead Horse
You Could Be Mine
Sweet Child
Reckless Life
Don't Cry
Paradise City

There were snippets of Since I Don't Have You and Cornshucker in there too \m/

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Its Tino said:

More so than NITL, a skin n bones tour would REQUIRE Izzy. 

Gilby shined during the 1993 SnB tour. At the Austin show, I recall Axl claiming Gilby was going to do his best Izzy impersonation before kicking into "You Ain't The First".

Ideally, Gilby and Matt would return for a SnB revival. However, the odds of all of us winning the lottery are better at this point.

Edited by rockphantom
  • GNFNR 1

The UYI Skin and Bones really shed some of the excess. There isn't a whole lot to shed this time around.

There's no pyro. There's no dancers. There's no horns. There is an additional keyboard player, but good luck getting rid of her.

If you want to call putting three acoustic songs into the setlist Skin N' Bones, I guess you could do that. But it doesn't seem quite the same to me.

30 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

The UYI Skin and Bones really shed some of the excess. There isn't a whole lot to shed this time around.

There's no pyro. There's no dancers. There's no horns. There is an additional keyboard player, but good luck getting rid of her.

If you want to call putting three acoustic songs into the setlist Skin N' Bones, I guess you could do that. But it doesn't seem quite the same to me.

Dropping the cover songs that weren't formally recorded by GNR would be a step in the right direction when it comes to stripping down the show.

Dusting off the lost UYI deep cuts and LLAS tracks in addition to a 30 minute acoustic set would draw me to another GNR arena show.

Edited by rockphantom
  • Like 1

I've been wishing for like a year that this tour would evolve into a Skin N Bones pt II.

A setlist like this would be easy enough for the singer band to adapt to and would be different enough to justify the price for some of the casuals:

It's So Easy
Mr Brownstone
Chinese Democracy
Welcome To The Jungle
Better IRS
Live And Let Die
Civil War
Rocket Queen
Double Talkin' Jive (w/ extended solo)
---acoustic set---
Wichita Lineman
You're Crazy
You Ain't The First

Patience
*optional: Catcher In The Rye*
Knockin' On Heavens Door
November Rain *hybrid version- starts stripped down like 93 and builds to the current version*
---electric set---
Solo/Sweet Child O' Mine
Prostitute
You Could Be Mine
My Michelle
Coma Locomotive
This I Love
Yesterdays
Nightrain

Don't Cry
Estranged
There Was A Time
Paradise City

• Like 1

I've seen them once. Some of the people I'm going with haven't seen them. We're not tired of the setlist.

People who've seen them multiple times on this tour, and streamed every concert in between, are obviously gonna find it boring and repetitive in the end. Luckily that isn't the norm for most people.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rockphantom said:

Most of us are tired of the NITL setlist. I am hoping that the 2018 tour will be based on the 1993 Skin N Bones set.

As most of us old timers recall, 1993 SnB show was radically different from the 1992 circus era tour.

I caught the opening night of the Skin N' Bones tour in Austin, Texas on February 23, 1993.

25 years later, it is still one of the top 5 shows I have ever seen.

It put the Houston September 4, 1992 and 2016 GNR shows I caught, to shame!

I have a feeling that a second round of North American dates set for Spring of 2018 will go on sale in December. 

I think the easy money of touring North American arenas will be too hard from the big three to resist.

A 2018 Skin N' Bones (electric/acoustic/electric) style show could entice casual fans to spend big bucks to see GN'R again.

Thoughts?

i am waiting for a GNR reunion

on the side note...

I said it before and I will say it again, ži am afraid the song list issue has something to do with both Axl's abbility to sing others, BUT also playing style of the other 3.

I just can't imagine the other 3 playing Dead Horse, Pretty tied up, Breakdown...Perfect Crime maybe.  They need Iz/Gilby for that, Matt...