Appetite-Era/ Vintage Un-circulated Audio/Video List

With all the recent discussion and focus around the new Chinese Democracy-era leaks, I thought it would be useful (and fun) to compile a list of known uncirculated Appetite-era audio/video that is either confirmed or speculated to exist- but never heard/seen.  I think most of us would agree that the true "gems" of audio collecting are the unheard, early sessions/demos/rehearsals, etc. from Guns N' Roses from the 1985-1990 era, as well as the "early" Illusions stuff.

So, we all speculate that there may be unreleased and uncirculated demos around, but what actually exists?  Is it all lost, or do uncirculated, buried gems still exist?

Here's a bit of what I know, and I hope others can share:

1 Audio and video footage of concerts from Marc Canter remain unreleased, including a few audio soundboard recordings such as Roxy 86 and Whisky 8/23/86.  These concerts were confirmed by Marc Canter to have been recorded "off the board", ie, soundboard A/A+ audio, but they have not surfaced (note also that the 8/23/86 concert was the FIRST live performance of Sweet Child, not the Music Machine footage that has already surfaced).  The Whisky show audio has never been released or circulated.

2. Mates Rehearsal "extended" tapes, rehearsal with original 5 minus Axl (instrumental) from 1989: a portion is available online but Bad Apples, Coma, Ain't Goin Down, and a number of "new working songs" are confirmed to have been recorded but never circulated, ie, never heard.

3. GNR rehearsal tapes.  In over 30 years of collecting GNR audio, I have never heard of any ACTUAL REHEARSALS being recorded and circulated in any capacity.  We have demos, outtakes, mixes, etc, but NO ACTUAL REHEARSAL SESSIONS...  Imagine having a GNR rehearsal tape from 1985 or 86, anybody care to speculate?

4. Hollywood Rose/Rose live audio.  We know that Holllywood Rose/Rose played between 15-25 shows between 1983 and the end of 1984, but were any of these live concerts recorded?  Marc Canter did not record these shows.  There were songs played live by Hollywood Rose that were NOT recorded on the demo released by Chris Weber.  These Hollywood Rose songs that have never been heard include Beat on my Head, Rock N' Roll Rose, International Boys, Hollywood Girls, That Something, Cold Hard Cash (some audio of the last 2 songs have surfaced but not the others).  Anybody care to speculate as to whether Hollywood Rose live concert audio from 83/84 actually exists?

5. Video footage of GNR in 1989 at the Cathouse and Rip Anniversary Party all recorded but never released... only portions online leaked.

What else do you guys know about or speculate may exist from Vintage GNR and the Appetite lineup that hasn't yet leaked to the public?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for this. I was getting tired of everyone getting excited about CD leaks. I like the album but, I love AFD and it deserves the title of “one of the best R&R albums of all time” (IMO it’s the best album). Learning about stuff from their best time period is extremely interesting.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NeonKinight said:

The only thing i'd love to hear is YCBM 1985/86. wonder how it sounds

'YCBM' and 'Perfect Crime' were confirmed to have been written during AFD pre-production in mid to late '86.  'YCBM' probably late '86 early '87.

9 minutes ago, NeonKinight said:

BTW, Wich songs are older than the band itself?

November Rain - 1983
Perfect Crime - 1984
Back Off Bitch - 1984
Shadow Of Your Love - 1983
Anything Goes - 1983/84
Reckless Life - 1984

Anything left?

'Perfect Crime' was debuted live on oct 31st 1986.

37 minutes ago, NeonKinight said:

November Rain - 1983
Perfect Crime - 1984
Back Off Bitch - 1984
Anything Goes - 1983/84
Reckless Life - 1984

Anything left?

it's also worth noting that Holllywood Rose already played Nice Boys or Hair of the Dog live in 1984.

I don't get why these guys are making an Appetite Boxset, and don't include the complete demos.

Where's Sweet Child, You could be mine, ain't going down with vocals??... seriously don't get it. Were they afraid of putting a fifth cd on the box?!?

They look like amateurs...

Edited by Propaganda

7 hours ago, NeonKinight said:

November Rain - 1983
Perfect Crime - 1984
Back Off Bitch - 1984
Anything Goes - 1983/84
Reckless Life - 1984

Anything left?

The oldest ones have to be Back Off Bitch and Shadow Of Your Love, both 1982.

NR yes, likely 1983-84, Anything Goes and Reckless probably 1984, Perfect Crime (already pointed out) was written later.

I also think Hollywood Rose (and subsequently L.A. Guns with Axl) played Heartbreak Hotel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

NR yes, likely 1983-84, Anything Goes and Reckless probably 1984, Perfect Crime (already pointed out) was written later.

I also think Hollywood Rose (and subsequently L.A. Guns with Axl) played Heartbreak Hotel.

I seem to remember Slash saying that Dead Horse was an old Axl song aswell that predated his time in the band

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

That's true. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunner927 said:

All I ask is they release a CD boxset called Chinese Leftovers that comes in a Chinese food container, as has been suggested many times on here.

Id kill for that. If NuGNR was still a thing Id say itd make sense for the 10 year anniversary (since diehards only buy box sets anyways)

7 minutes ago, NeonKinight said:

back off bitch 1982? i wanna know more about.

BTW, Heartbreak hotel isn't a cover of elvis presley?

Yes, that's right. That song was written by the King of Rock 'N' Roll