Appetite for Distortion Ep. 74 - "Leaker's Revenge"

6 minutes ago, downzy said:

Yeah @RussTCB!!!

I always look forward to episodes of Appetite for Distortion podcast, but this one I'm looking a little more forward to it.  Can't wait until tonight after the family have gone to bed to have a listen.

Right on. Some of @axlrosefan4life's story is damn near shocking. While he was going into all of the details, I was sitting there getting more and more upset about the whole situation. Then I just went off haha. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

I'm a little confused about the legitimacy of The General here, which they all discuss here on the podcast. A very, very enjoyable one, by the way.... Umm.... So apparently, over the course of 3 years, a fan/pro tools mastermind "re-created" the song?? As in, it's "fan-made"?

Also, when he goes into detail of the songs meaning, lyrically.... I just can't imagine Axl singing or writing something from the perspective of a victim of abuse (i.e. Clean vocals) to that of a sexual Predator (Heavy raspy vocals).... That just sounds.... Odd. Not to mention incredibly controversial. Not that Axl hasn't had his share of controversy or the fact he's s victim of abuse himself.... It just seems very unlikely of what The General has been rumoured to be... A sequel of sorts to Estranged. 

I dunno. I just don't buy that part of this story, about The General. Thoughts??

Edited by Estrangedfx
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, Estrangedfx said:

I'm a little confused about the legitimacy of The General here, which they all discuss here on the podcast. A very, very enjoyable one, by the way.... Umm.... So apparently, over the course of 3 years, a fan/pro tools mastermind "re-created" the song??

This isn't fact by any means, but what I was told was that the vocals come from the isolated Chinese Democracy vocals. 

The person who made it spent years editing and manipulating syllables to make it sound the way it does.

Again, that's just what I was told by someone who heard that from someone else lol. 

Of course as I said during this episode, if GNR would just release new music ever, we wouldn't even have to wonder about these things lol. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

This isn't fact by any means, but what I was told was that the vocals come from the isolated Chinese Democracy vocals. 

The person who made it spent years editing and manipulating syllables to make it sound the way it does.

Again, that's just what I was told by someone who heard that from someone else lol. 

Of course as I said during this episode, if GNR would just release new music ever, we wouldn't even have to wonder about these things lol. 

Yeah, I hear ya. Not to dismiss whatever this guy did to manipulate the Chinese Democracy vocals or his ability to do so, but, to be clear... Whatever he did is NOT The General, as in the song as it appears to nobody else, gathering dust in Axls aforementioned "Vault". 

So still, nobody has actually heard what The General REALLY sounds like... Just a basic instrumental and vocal guess, so to speak? I mean, the real version of the song could (and probably certainly doesn't) sound absolutely Anything like this pro tools mash up, which is a shame. I can deal with not hearing it, but I at least was hoping for an accurate description of what it actually sounded like. Unfortunately, we still don't really know. Ugh. 

Edited by Estrangedfx
  • Like 3

Great job, by the way, Russ. You are very informative, knowledgeable and kinda hilarious about how absurd this all is.

Also, as I mentioned to you before (not too long ago, via pm), I've been a fan of your Chinese Democracy remixes from live performances for years. You did those fan polished versions of The Blues, etc ...long before Chinese Democracy was released, didn't you? 

Edited by Estrangedfx

1 minute ago, Estrangedfx said:

Great job, by the way, Russ. You are very informative, knowledgeable and kinda hilarious about how absurd this all is.

Also, as I mentioned to you before (not too long ago, via pm), I've been a fan of your Chinese Democracy remixes from live performances for years. You did those versions of The Blues, long before Chinese Democracy was released, didn't you? 

Thank you for the compliment on the podcast appearance :)

I didn't do any mixes of anything until after the Rock Band CD tracks came out though. I think some people made really good mixes before the album came out but mine were all done later. 

6 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

Russ sounds like Seth Rogen

I've been told that many times :/ lol

19 minutes ago, Estrangedfx said:

Oh, ok. Sorry, I must have been mistaken. I don't know who the hell I'm thinking of. Isn't there a member on here who did some remixes of some of the 2002 shows, prior to 2008? 

I'm certain there was, yeah. I can't keep track of that stuff anymore haha. I know a lot of people did some GREAT work before the record was finally released, that's for sure. 

1 hour ago, Estrangedfx said:

Oh, ok. Sorry, I must have been mistaken. I don't know who the hell I'm thinking of. Isn't there a member on here who did some remixes of some of the 2002 shows, prior to 2008? 

I think I have those saved as the 'Bloody Roses Remasters', was that the username? Those were the most popular ones before 2008 I think.

I'll try to listen to the whole podcast tonight or tomorrow.

• Like 2

Very interesting. It's nice to know how all this happened. When I saw all that stuff magically surfacing, I really wanted to know how would this happen, there is always some mystic around all of these leaks, and the real story behind it, doesn't disappoint, it's totally unreal to see this happening.
I have loved Russ rant about this situation, because it's clear that some fans would do unbelievable things to listening to new music. They fucking want to give money to Axl, and Slash and whoever is in the Gn'R camp, because this is a band, and we love their music.

But what I wonder is... what if Axl and the GN'R camp actually want to release new music, or they have been trying for years, but Universal is just not interested?
I would understand the neverending touring and all these clothes Fernando seems to love

Thank you guys!

Edited by Uncle Bob
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

The General does indeed seem to be about child abuse. In an old Rolling Stone article they mentioned a song about child abuse on the album. In the cell phone recording it does indeed sound like a lyric directly pertains to the subject. I didnt decode it, so I wont take credit regarding alleged lyrics. I do believe they are close, though. Especially taking the Rolling Stone article into account 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great podcast! Thank you all for sharing these stories and insights.

The number of die-hard fans on the forums who would gladly buy any CD era music, even above face value, doesn't seem to be enough motivation for Axl to release music from the vault. Maybe he thinks that a larger number of fans will hate it, and that weighs for him more and has kept him from releasing it. Or maybe it has to do with the record label. Or maybe it's both. :unsure:

I don't know if it has to do with not wanting to release unfinished product anymore. I was surprised that he agreed for the AFD demos and stuff like The Plague to be officially released, although he was adamantly against releasing demos or unfinished songs in the past. Unless he doesn't mind the old stuff and is sensitive only about the CD stuff. But then again, just a few years ago, he tried to block the release of Hollywood Rose and Rapidfire demos.

The live concerts are another story. Nothing makes sense about it. It doesn't make sense that only one classic era show (from the many that were filmed professionally) has been officially released and that no live material, audio at least, is included in the box set; or that of all the NuGnR concerts Axl chose to release Appetite For Democracy.

I wonder if there are any legalities in regards to the UYI footage, possibly because of a falling out with people involved who have rights to it. The other day I watched the GNR Central podcast with Andy Morahan. Very good interview overall with a lot of cool stories, but the most interesting part for me was that August Jakobsson, the director of the UYI documentary, has the material (I didn't get if Andy meant all of it or part of it) and Andy has prompted him to release it but he doesn't want to. Btw he had done a video for I Don't Care About You consisting of live footage (he had also directed the videos for Duff's Believe In Me and Slash's Good To Be Alive) which apparently was never officially released:

https://vimeo.com/154408923

(embedding is not allowed)

17 hours ago, Estrangedfx said:

Also, when he goes into detail of the songs meaning, lyrically.... I just can't imagine Axl singing or writing something from the perspective of a victim of abuse (i.e. Clean vocals) to that of a sexual Predator (Heavy raspy vocals).... That just sounds.... Odd. Not to mention incredibly controversial. Not that Axl hasn't had his share of controversy or the fact he's s victim of abuse himself.... It just seems very unlikely of what The General has been rumoured to be... A sequel of sorts to Estranged. 

I dunno. I just don't buy that part of this story, about The General. Thoughts??

I'm skeptical too, since it's not the actual studio recording but a "recreation"  (iirc, the fan who made it confirmed it on this forum himself).

But I think it wouldn't be beyond Axl to write something like that. The "perspective of the abuser" could be what the victim "hears". Also the abuse theme is not totally unrelated to Estranged. Axl had said that Estranged was about alienation and broken relationships; with Erin (later it was projected to Stephanie Seymour too), but also with his family and with the band. Abuse was a major factor in both his relationship with his family and his romantic relationships, so maybe he took it on that level and dealt with that side of those relationships.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

good and eye opening listen that was. the lengths people go to for this unreleased stuff is unreal. with those sums of money changing hands how long until someone gets killed over it ? 

Russ had a good idea, pay a monthly/yearly subscription like nightrain and get some old pro shot in return. i would pay for that but not for a water bottle and passport.

people still discussing if the General is about child abuse ? Axl said in a 2001 interview that it was. and no one has mentioned a name yet but i take it the fan made version spoken about in the podcast is the Evader version ? 

as for new music. across the road on another forum this week it was pointed out that Merck would profit from any new music released and after the fallout Axl wouldn't want to release anything for that reason. there is also the story about the new album being rejected in 2010, any truth in that ? if so then Axl might want to release new music as much as we want to hear it but its out of his hands. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Btw he had done a video for I Don't Care About You consisting of live footage (he had also directed the videos for Duff's Believe In Me and Slash's Good To Be Alive) which apparently was never officially released:

https://vimeo.com/154408923

THIS IS PURE GOLD !!!

I had no idea this even existed, thanks for sharing ! 

This is just another reminder of how much CRAZY footage that they have of that era :facepalm:  which we'll never see ...

• Like 1