Chinese Democracy 2- Did anyone ever hear what the tracklist was?

8 minutes ago, donny said:

he basically had a mid life crises ? 

Could be. I dont know if I understand the breadth and scope of what a mid life crisis is, tbh. Something Ive never wrapped my head around, Im told Ill know it when I get there, lol. Im theorizing that he outgrew the extended youth of big budget rock stardom at some point in the journey and if that meets the criteria, I suppose i am suggesting a mid-life crisis.

• Like 2

If there is another couples of albums kicking about somewhere, you can bet your life that the versions that are currently on it will be tinkered with to the ultimate degree and sometimes not in a good way. 

Street of Dreams 2002 being the example. It should have been left alone as it wasa pure masterpiece. 

Edited by JimmyMick3

Well, there was some cunt that went on the Appetite for Distortion podcast once who said that the rejected seft-titled album included:

Atlas Shrugged

The General

Berlin 

Cuban Skies

Seven

Going Down

Thyme

Silkworms

However, judging by the mental stability of the source, I'm not too sure how reliable that is.

8 hours ago, The Macaroni Incident? said:

There wasn't any word on the tracklist for CD2 because there is no such thing as CD2.

Don't delude yourself, folks.

Erroneous opinion stated as fact. 

Axl said he considers the next album "the second half of Chinese."

The songs on the 2008 album were the "A List."

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that is the case and a whole shit ton of quotes from many people that strongly indicate otherwise. Maybe spend an afternoon reading through Chinese Whispers to get caught up.

If Axl Rose was sitting on a collection of great songs, do you think the label would refuse to release them?

What could make you think it's that simple when we have so much information available about Axl's struggles with the label over the past 16 years? Even someone not familiar with the situation could come up with several good reasons why they wouldn't want to release whatever Axl has, even if he wanted to. 

• Like 1

I think CD 2 would have been released in 2014 or 2015 if nuguns members did not leave/ Slash and Duff rejoining.

If Slash and Duff can't get Axl to release a new album, then it'll truly be the end of GnR in terms of new materials.

I'm gonna be optimistic and say we'll see a new album before 2020.

No AC/DC for Axl and Slash finished touring his new album, there's gonna be a good chance for them to go into the studio. 

• Like 1

Axl not doing Axl/DC is a good thing. He can take a break for a bit while Slash does a fairly small run with SMKC until next summer. Then they can make a Guns album and go out touring again in 2020/21, depending on how long the album takes. 

Nobody from labels etc will try to stop a Guns album with Slash there. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rapidfire said:

I think CD 2 would have been released in 2014 or 2015 if nuguns members did not leave/ Slash and Duff rejoining.

If Slash and Duff can't get Axl to release a new album, then it'll truly be the end of GnR in terms of new materials.

I'm gonna be optimistic and say we'll see a new album before 2020.

No AC/DC for Axl and Slash finished touring his new album, there's gonna be a good chance for them to go into the studio. 

With all the rumoured pressure for reunion and CD getting weaker reception then they probably expected I can see them rejecting it to try persuade him into a reunion, pure speculation though

A few things I have always wondered about CD/CDII or whatever we want to call them/it.  May not be our business, and we will likely never know but,

Why after all of these years has nobody else talked about songs that werent on CD within more interviews.  That many band members come and gone and nothing, but vague answers, or "I forgots."  I am also surprised that there has not been more leaked in that regard if there truly are so many songs.  Right or wrong, it just happens.  Im sure all 300+(sarcasm) members of GNR over the last 25 years post Illusions has copies of this stuff in one form or another.  Im not dropping hints it should be shared or anything, just kind of surprised given the summit of the borderline over the last 20 years with the internet.

This brings up a second point.  I am fascinated with the business aspect of the music business as ridiculous as it can be.  I know some about it being a semi-professional musician myself over 18 years.  My question would be in regards to rights, and royalties of new songs recorded post GNR.  I am curious if everyone post-illusions signed rights and waivers that they dont get legal rights to music sold if they leave.  Like, does Axl truly own it all because he owns rights under the name?  Did they sign things that they cannot show people the music, and or talk about it if they leave the band? 

This is what worries me of we may never see this music.  I was super stoked seeing duff and slash come back.  I would be all for them revamping chinese era stuff and using some of it or all of it.  It seems like Axl would be open to starting from scratch too.  I am only speculating that as it seems they are all getting along so well.  Granted, seems like trying to make any sort of albums is what ripped this band apart a few times going back into the 80s.  Super fascinating to me.  It seems like everyone would be a lot more open to "stylistic" changes at this point.  Everything has done.  There has been everything from emo/numetal/core/postcore and i could go on since illusions era ended.  All members have added hiphop and a variety of things in their solo work.  Seems like the growth there could create something incredible.  Id love to hear any or all of the songs listed and new ones from scratch.  I think if CD was truly finished in late 99 early 2k, if it had been released it could have been revolutionary.  Sad that the label and managers at the time had to screw the band around like that.  Ive never felt like blaming solely axl for it.  I know he has the largest stake in the heart of it all, but it takes a lot to move a machine or business in general.  Especially when trying to maintain success and not tarnishing what people favor as so great and or beautiful.

Im just curious as to why more reporters havent brought this up with Axl or others over the years and more in depth.  I may just be a nerd for that side of it though.  They may have and were told they couldnt answer for the usual "legal" issues or not to upset people.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The Macaroni Incident? said:

There wasn't any word on the tracklist for CD2 because there is no such thing as CD2.

The songs on the 2008 album were the "A List."

If Axl Rose was sitting on a collection of great songs, do you think the label would refuse to release them?

Don't delude yourself, folks.

It had nothing to do with the quality of the songs, it was all about line up bias or what fans wanted being interpreted a certain way.

If CD sold 10 million copies we’d have a follow up. 

Those looked like statements of fact but were truly open ended conjecture. 

In a way your right about A list songs though. You get the impression Better, If the World, Sorry, Shacklers, Scraped, This I Love weren’t going to be on 2000 Intentions. So CD was actually CD II, and anything done with Costanzo was CD III. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, UYI4 said:

Ive always wondered the legitimacy of this photo.  I assume someone was having fun with photoshop based upon the songs axl confirmed were true working titles?

yes, reportedly that one is fake, altough I've never been able to gather more information on that...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zombux said:

yes, reportedly that one is fake, altough I've never been able to gather more information on that...

It came out way before the chats though. But maybe not before those titles or the artwork leaked. Axl was asked to confirm rumored track titles. 

13 hours ago, h2sublime said:

At one point I read that CD was a stepping stone of sorts from the old Guns sound to a new sound that would be more fully explored on CD 2 after people had gotten used to their new style. Just don't ask for my source, at this point I have no clue.

You are right. A few days ago I was reading old Chinese interviews and posts. Axl did say that old GnR fans probably weren't ready for a full blown musical change. He said the first album will be a way of pleasing the old fans while changing their sound a bit. The 2nd album is a full on change with tons and tons of electronic sound.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wasted said:

It came out way before the chats though. But maybe not before those titles or the artwork leaked. Axl was asked to confirm rumored track titles. 

Could have sworn I saw it was a fan creation and the post gave a name but I can't be 100% sure.

29 minutes ago, Stoymatic said:

Could have sworn I saw it was a fan creation and the post gave a name but I can't be 100% sure.

Yes but maybe before the chats or release of the album. Like things like Thyme and Seven came from a Beltrami quote. But even after it was interesting. Why call If the World: If. 

The cd was rejected a few times in 99 and 2001 and the cover photo and tracks were around from that time so it’s a recreation of something that could have been. 

12 hours ago, jamillos said:

Well... it is something, although not too convincing. I wonder which song could be the replacement one. Scraped? Maybe. Riad, not played live since 2002 and the only one skipped in 2009? Maybe. Etc.

It helps to look at what might have been 2000 Intentions

this is just a guess

Oh my god

Silkworms

Chinese D

The Blues

Thyme

There was a Time

Catcher in the Rye

The General

Riad 

Leave Me Alone

IRS

Seven

Atlas Shrugged

Ides of March

So Better, Shacklers, If the World, Scraped, Sorry, This I Love, Prostitute were all finished later around 2004. And they replaced those songs on above list. 

So in reverse put in new rumored titles to gaps in 2000 Intentions

Oh My God

Silkworms

Zodiac

Berlin

Thyme

Quick Song

Going Down

The General

Jackie Chan

Soul Monster

Down by the Ocean

Seven 

Atlas Shrugged

Ides of March

18 hours ago, Wabby said:

Sorry if this is old or discussed, I know a lot of people have their inside sources and maybe even a rumor tracklist did pop up, I just wondered if anyone had heard what songs were going to be on the submitted album that got rejected however many years ago?

At the point when CD was released, there was no CD2 track list.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mysteron said:

At the point when CD was released, there was no CD2 track list.

There were only left over track titles which didn’t go on CD. Which were then thought to be possible tracks of the follow up, Axl claimed in 09 would be next year (10). Guess rec comp decided no because CD was a “flop”. And that is when in 2011 GNR started playing more Best of sets, they did rally a few times set list wise. But 2010 was make or break.