Lots of old Recordings

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

What are the odds of that tape having Axl singing on it?

I reckon they would either have axl vocals or maybe just gilby/slash/matt/duff jam instrumentals with some of the zakk wylde jams as well. In other words the 94 to 96 rehearsals.

5 hours ago, ludurigan said:

this is the quote that showed me everything i need to know about dizzy reed

Probably got him into a little of trouble with Alice Cooper too.  :lol:  Not worthy Diz.

Reminds me, Dizzy said when bootlegs began to appear on the net, he would check them out.  Gave him the opportunity to hear how he played at certain shows.  Wouldn't surprise me if this is still the main way band members check out their performances today.  They are watching the same youtubes we are.

4 minutes ago, 77Jesters said:

So..  Who do you really think you give them to?   Team Brazil or Universal?  

He said the manager of the band member who owned the recordings picked them up. If that is Axl, that would be TB.

I don't know Izzy's solo work at all, but if some of the recordings at least seem to point in Izzy's direction, with Duff, Izzy and Izzy's drummer working on them, wouldn't it be odd for Axl to be the owner of those? Or were they all working for GNR at that point?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 77Jesters said:

So..  Who do you really think you give them to?   Team Brazil or Universal?  

hopefully a conman that was just pretending to work for the band with full intentions of putting all of it on the net.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, The Real McCoy said:

The Duff and Izzy stuff could be for one of Izzy's solo albums - Duff played bass on most of Izzy's stuff.

The '99 demos with Taz Bentley are CERTAINLY for an Izzy solo album. Taz was/is Izzy's drummer.

i dont think so

some of the guys, probably izzy or duff (can't remember who), said in some interview (can't remember which) that izzy and duff recorded stuff for axl in the 90s

its most certainly that stuff in those tapes

if that was izzy solo stuff, it would be in izzy's basement, not lying around along with GNR stuff

specially since it is dated from 99 which is from a time izzy was doing everything on his own and completely free from record companies etc

3 hours ago, Lio said:

He said the manager of the band member who owned the recordings picked them up. If that is Axl, that would be TB.

I don't know Izzy's solo work at all, but if some of the recordings at least seem to point in Izzy's direction, with Duff, Izzy and Izzy's drummer working on them, wouldn't it be odd for Axl to be the owner of those? Or were they all working for GNR at that point?

you are correct, axl would never own izzy solo stuff. if that was izzy solo stuff, it would be in izzy's basement, not lying around along with GNR stuff

specially since it is dated from 99 which is from a time izzy was doing everything on his own and completely free from record companies etc

also i remember that one of the guys, probably izzy or duff (can't remember who), maybe both, said in some interview (can't remember which) that izzy and duff recorded stuff for axl in the 90s

apparently axl received their songs and never did shit with them

its most certainly that stuff in those tapes

maybe @SoulMonster or @RONIN or @Blackstar can help find the original quotes where these "izzy and duff recordings for axl" are mentioned?

14 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

The people in this thread being upset with OP because he didn't illegally share what's on these tapes is pathetic... Why would @Slapshot61 risk his career and multiple lawsuits to please a bunch of GN'R fans? It's both stupid and unrealistic!

I don't think anybody is really upset against the guy, of course he did the only legally possible thing.

the general upset is towards different "entities".

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'm still unclear why anyone is upset with the OP. 

Storage is his business. He stores items for people which comes with a legal agreement. There's absolutely no way he could've done anything with these tapes except either continue to store them give them back to the owner if/when they were asked for. 

As I understand it, he didn't even know the tapes might be special until some fans told him. When he found out, he found a way to get them back to the owner. 

What am I missing? What did he do that's so wrong in the eyes of many people who've posted in the thread?

If your answer is "he should have just released them" then you don't understand how copyright laws and storage agreements work. 

It's not his place to know what GNR, their management or the label or whomever might or might not do with the recordings some day. What is his place is to store them until the owner wants them back. He stored them, now the owner wanted them back, so he gave them back. 

He didn't do anything wrong. Nor I'm upset with the OP. But I'm not going to believe that a new album will come up in a few months just because TB has all those tapes in their hands. The guy himself said that band members also looked at those tapes and they didn't give a shit. TB seems to care only because they found out that a couple of fans were insterested. You said it yourself. Management and the label might or might not do something. I don't see what has changed. Where is the before and after moment here?

7 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

I don’t see why just because those demos were bootlegged beforehand it had anything to do with what was on the AFD reissue. That’s what was available.

Just because the stuff that got around (because the band prob shared it with everyone while getting started) also correlates with whatever they could find on tape at UMG, it doesn’t mean there was some conscious decision to withhold material. Plus there were some things we hadn’t heard before.

no, there is SO MUCH MORE STUFF NEVER AVAILABLE to people that GNR possesses and that  could have been released and wasn't.

YES there was a conscious decision to withhold material.

if you take 5 minutes to read one of the threads "what could be in the box but it is not" you will see how much of a joke that box is and how much material was consciously left out of it

6 hours ago, The Real McCoy said:

The Duff and Izzy stuff could be for one of Izzy's solo albums - Duff played bass on most of Izzy's stuff.

The '99 demos with Taz Bentley are CERTAINLY for an Izzy solo album. Taz was/is Izzy's drummer.

Duff seems to be the common link here in all these tapes.

Considering that the OP has in his possession, and is authorized to sell, the massive VR sign...

maybe Duff owns these tapes and his people picked them up.

Thanks to @Slapshot61 for providing an exciting new saga here!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KURT19 said:

Duff seems to be the common link here in all these tapes.

Considering that the OP has in his possession, and is authorized to sell, the massive VR sign...

maybe Duff owns these tapes and his people picked them up.

Thanks to @Slapshot61 for providing an exciting new saga here!

Hm, yes. And band members knew it was there but didn't care. They've seen the tapes before. So would that mean Duff? And then later the crew and management got wind of it because Slapshot told them after MYGNR posters said it was something special, and management deemed it safer to pick everything up and throw it in the vault?