Slash to record in Axl's Malibu studio on Saturday 04/27/2019

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Do you think Fortus will re-record any of the shreddy technical Buckethead stuff, or will Axl keep Buckethead on the songs and Fortus will just play it live?

Robin/Ron/Paul/DJ will be gone though.

Narr will definately be re-recorded which I'm sure has already been done as supposedly they were prepping a release prior to the threeunion. 

Reckon all the stuff has been rerecorded by all of their lineups through the years. That bucket stuff is nearly 20 years old now and probably long gone.

Edited by vloors

10 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't really get why people wouldn't want CD-era songs with Slash... Slash is at his best when Axl pushes him out of his comfort zone. November Rain and Estranged are his best songs. The outro to Locomotive is piano-based. CD-era songs are so much more appealing than new riffs from Slash, honestly I'm sure he's got some aces up his sleeve (or in his top-hat) but CD was more interesting than any of Slash's albums, and the "Axl songs" are the best songs on UYI.

I hope they keep the odd Buckethead lick here and there, though.

I think Axl is a better songwriter overall, he can write a song on his own and make it a classic, I don't see Slash doing that. Be The Ball was fun, but not exactly a classic. He can write great riffs and music but he needs someone to write lyrics and/or melodies and without the right person you get mediocrity, which most of his records have been. (except for the Snakepit stuff) But then again, Axl needs someone like Slash who can come up with great riffs. So I wouldn't mind hearing CD-era songs with some Slash (and Duff) input.

7 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I think Axl is a better songwriter overall, he can write a song on his own and make it a classic, I don't see Slash doing that. Be The Ball was fun, but not exactly a classic. He can write great riffs and music but he needs someone to write lyrics and/or melodies and without the right person you get mediocrity, which most of his records have been. (except for the Snakepit stuff) But then again, Axl needs someone like Slash who can come up with great riffs. So I wouldn't mind hearing CD-era songs with some Slash (and Duff) input.

Why do you think Axl can writte great things and make em "classics"?

IMO Axl had two great ideas 30 years ago that turned into November Rain and Estranged, with the help of other band members. 

To have a solo career, he had to rely on hired guns and shadow campanies to writte for him. 

I have a huuuge question mark on whether Axl is capable of really creating stuff or the two huge hits he had was just him getting lucky. To me he is like a movie director. 

Edited by default_
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, default_ said:

Axl had two great ideas 30 years ago that turned into November Rain and Estranged, with the help of other band members. 

To have a solo career, he had to rely on hired guns and shadow campanies to writte for him. 

I have a huuuge question mark on whether Axl is capable of really creating stuff or the two huge hits he had was just him getting lucky. To me he is like a movie director. 

Well, it's subjective of course, but there are a bunch of Axl songs that he has written (apparently) on his own, that I really like. Not just Estranged or November Rain. I don't know how many songs Slash has written on his own, I'm not too familiar with his solo records after Snakepit, the only song that comes to mind is Be The Ball

So I do think Axl can write songs on his own and make them great, but like I said, he needs someone like Slash as well.

Edited by EvanG

12 hours ago, Draguns said:

This was a really cool and down to earth post. It's like what the other poster stated that this shows humility, which is rare nowadays. 

Thank you :) I just don't ever want anyone here to have the impression that I think I'm "above" anyone else. All I do is help keep the lights on here lol.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, default_ said:

Its possible Axl paid X amount of money to all what was produced being solely credited to him as if he wants it to be that way.

Id say all the songs are going to be credited to "Guns N' Roses" and with all the gag orders going on, we'll probably never know who wrotte what. 

Hmmm....that first part is interesting and could very well be the case.

Personally, I do think the individual names will be on anything else that get released. 

5 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

That's always been Slash's preferred method of recording, so I think there's a good chance it'll happen like that.

Slash also prefers to record in Analog but I am guessing that is out the window.. Unless he can record somehow can only record his parts that way.

1 hour ago, default_ said:

I really hope they will take any "shreddy technical stuff" off if they are really working on these songs. 

Keeping things simple is the key. 

Although I like half of CD as it is, it is really not what GNR fans want to hear, including myself. I dont want AFD 2.0, but I sure dont want CD 2.0 either. 

I agree except Appetite 2.0 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world and most people would love it.  They could never do it though. 

42 minutes ago, EvanG said:

You can flip that and say Axl can't come up with many great rocks songs on his own.. The piano ballad stuff sure but there was only a couple of those.  The need each other for this one.. I have never really thought of Slash as a great Riff or Rhythm guy.. He is my second favorite all time guitarist but that really isn't his thing.. He is a great lead guitarist, with some great licks and occasional good riffs.  He take a basic rock song to the next level.  But I do agree that Slash isn't a great song writer.. He is a guitarist and that is about it.. A fucking beast of one though. Well "half beast" anyway ;) 

43 minutes ago, default_ said:

IMO Axl had two great ideas 30 years ago that turned into November Rain and Estranged, with the help of other band members. 

I used to idolize Axl's talent.. I never thought it was possible for him to release a bad song... Then CD happened.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

You can flip that and say Axl can't come up with many great rocks songs on his own.. The piano ballad stuff sure but there was only a couple of those.  The need each other for this one.. I have never really thought of Slash as a great Riff or Rhythm guy.. He is my second favorite all time guitarist but that really isn't his thing.. He is a great lead guitarist, with some great licks and occasional good riffs.  He take a basic rock song to the next level.  But I do agree that Slash isn't a great song writer.. He is a guitarist and that is about it.. A fucking beast of one though. Well "half beast" anyway ;) 

I guess it depends on what you consider a great rock song. Breakdown and Dead Horse are great in my opinion, but yes, there isn't a great guitar riff in there. But I grew up with punk... I can enjoy a rock song without a wicked guitar riff! But yes, they do need each other.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, default_ said:

I really hope they will take any "shreddy technical stuff" off if they are really working on these songs.

I wouldn't call any solos off of ChiDem shreddy or technical; compared to what guitarists like Bucket and Bumble are actually capable of, Chinese is very very tame.  Axl just has that David Lee Roth mentality where he needs virtuoso shredders to fill in his artistic vision of a guitar part in his songs.

That being said, I'd much rather see the Chinese leftovers be left alone to see if the new line-up can write something brand new together.  I'd expect Axl to continue scratching the AC/DC itch with rock songs in that style.

35 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I guess it depends on what you consider a great rock song. Breakdown and Dead Horse are great in my opinion, but yes, there isn't a great guitar riff in there. But I grew up with punk... I can enjoy a rock song without a wicked guitar riff! But yes, they do need each other.

Dead Horse is sooooooo gooood! I’ve got it on my head today, singing it to the customers at my work 😂🤪

• Like 2

I think Axl is very good alone, much more complex than any other member GnR had.

Slash is much simple but good as well.

Working together makes both better, reaching greatness.

I’d prefer some Illusion style music, that the GnR I loooove.

I know they’ll make something great.

27 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Makes me laugh when GNR fans try to diminish Slash’s songwriting abilities when, since leaving the band he’s come up with Serial Killer, Neither Can I, Beggars & Hangers On, Been There Lately, Back To The Moment, Fall To Pieces, Slither, Loving The Alien, Messages, Gotten, Starlight, By The Sword, Anastasia, Beneath The Savage Sun, The Unholy, The Great Pretender.

His post Classic-Guns catalogue combined is a lot more substantial than Axl’s one solitary  album.

Wasn’t Messages a cover?

So it's Saturday...anyone camping around Axl's house, videos, photos, audio files...anything??

Would be so cool if Axl and Slash came out after recording just chatting with fans for a bit, confirming they work on a new album together, that thing would probably go viral on the net. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1