Slash to record in Axl's Malibu studio on Saturday 04/27/2019

44 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

So it's Saturday...anyone camping around Axl's house, videos, photos, audio files...anything??

Would be so cool if Axl and Slash came out after recording just chatting with fans for a bit, confirming they work on a new album together, that thing would probably go viral on the net. :lol:

All things that normal bands do :P

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

So it's Saturday...anyone camping around Axl's house, videos, photos, audio files...anything??

Would be so cool if Axl and Slash came out after recording just chatting with fans for a bit, confirming they work on a new album together, that thing would probably go viral on the net. :lol:

Wouldn't surprise me if they changed Slash's schedule due to the information being made public.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

You're a small town whiteboy just tryin' to wank your meat. Don't need religion or watch that much TV(unless someone's having a wank) just making your livin' baby(wanking people off and/or selling amateur wank videos) well that's enough for you.

You know me too well, Goat!

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Makes me laugh when GNR fans try to diminish Slash’s songwriting abilities

I'm not diminishing his songwriting, I think he's great. I learned to play that riff in Driving Rain immediately when it came out last year because I love it. I'm just not too convinced about his lyrical/vocal melody skills. But I would love to be proven wrong.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I think Axl is very good alone, much more complex than any other member GnR had

Thing is, Axl was never alone, he had to hire a gazillion people to writte for him. Thats what we're saying. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I agree except Appetite 2.0 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world and most people would love it.  They could never do it though. 

I would love it if they had the guts to make it sound good which I doubt. Slashs been trying to recreate the AFD sound since he left Guns and although he has some cool stuff, it just sounds bland and generic most of the time. 

Ok, half of the band is writting together now, but I believe AFD was a product of the life they had back then and cannot really be recreated these days, no matter how hard they try... It can end up being just a bland hard rock album and that would be bad.

I believe this album has to be somewhere between UYI and VR/CD to be any interesting.

Edited by default_

1 hour ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I think Axl is very good alone, much more complex than any other member GnR had.

Slash is much simple but good as well.

Working together makes both better, reaching greatness.

I’d prefer some Illusion style music, that the GnR I loooove.

I know they’ll make something great.

Also makes me laugh when fans talk about how “complex” CD is, as if Axl is Mozart creating symphonies. From a musical standpoint, the chord progressions on songs like TWAT, Catcher, Madagascar etc are actually quite generic. Even the chorus to Shacklers is a chord progression used in like a gazillion modern pop songs. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, default_ said:

I would love it if they had the guts to make it sound good which I doubt. Slashs been trying to recreate the AFD sound since he left Guns and although he has some cool stuff, it just sounds bland and generic most of the time. 

He fails because he doesn't have Izzy.. Izzy's dirty rhythm was huge.. Slash's rhythm is usually thin sounding.. 

• GNFNR 1

One day of recording. I get that Slash has a schedule to keep but its like a session player, isnt it? I hope someones been warming up those tubes for him!

I actually wonder if Slash is hesitant to commit to weeks of recording before he sees proof that Axl is now capable of pulling the trigger? Would be more than fair. Whereas Slash has described SFTD as "an effort wasted" with regards to getting Guns back into studio mode. A Terminator soundtrack slot could see "an effort succeeded." I hope!!!

39 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

He fails because he doesn't have Izzy.. Izzy's dirty rhythm was huge.. Slash's rhythm is usually thin sounding.. 

Gilby's rhythm also gave the songs some dirty heaviness as displayed on IFOS and the tracks they did together on Pawnshop Guitars.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, soon said:

One day of recording. I get that Slash has a schedule to keep but its like a session player, isnt it? I hope someones been warming up those tubes for him!

I actually wonder if Slash is hesitant to commit to weeks of recording before he sees proof that Axl is now capable of pulling the trigger? Would be more than fair. Whereas Slash has described SFTD as "an effort wasted" with regards to getting Guns back into studio mode. A Terminator soundtrack slot could see "an effort succeeded." I hope!!!

We don't know if there have been other recording sessions recently though, do we? Isn't it possible that he used other amps but needed this one to get a particular sound in this session?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

How to recreate the AFD sound in 2 simple steps

Step 1: Fire Frank
Step 2: Hire any new drummer

The goal shouldn't be to recreate the AFD sound. 

With the "big three" all in their 50's, I would expect new music that for starters, isn't as challenging for Axl to sing. I think the days of shrieking are over. For Axl to prolong his voice as he approaches 60 and beyond, he's going to have to make songs that he'll be able to sing live on future tours, while songs like "You Could Be Mine" are phased out.

The same would apply for Slash and Duff, to create songs that are not as frenetic to play, because let's face it, their fingers are going to slow down as they continue to age. They're going to need a catalog of GN'R material that is easier for them to physically play. I can't picture Slash playing the close of "Paradise City" in 10-15 years. Aging sucks, but it's a reality.

I can understand now why Metallica had to change up their sound, though they started too early.

• Like 2

My take is they’re putting final touches on a single. The new James Cameron Terminator is in post-production for a November release, so it would fit a song would be delivered now. The mini tour in October is entirely festivals, so I think they’re going to use shows to capture video for this single as was done for Paradise and YCBM.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

We don't know if there have been other recording sessions recently though, do we? Isn't it possible that he used other amps but needed this one to get a particular sound in this session?

That particular amp leans more towards the AFD signature sound. Given how Slash shouldn't have no problem to bring/find any amp and Axl probably has some pretty decent gear around the house too, I take it as he either wants to continue something that's been worked on before or he wants to bring the signature guitar sound of vintage GNR. Good luck laying that down without Izzy and Steven though. Intresting choice of gear nonetheless.

Slash when on tour is gonna be bombarded with questions about that session anyway, so they might as well open up for a bit and admit they are working on a new album. :lol:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Depends who one believes, I guess? There was the Niven, Arlette, Zutaut claims that sessions began prior to NITL. And theres Slashs claim that nothing has really gotten under way in terms of writing or recording. And then theres all the hints in-between those two claims. I was just going by what Slash has said along with what the Kruse post said, in this instance.

About the amp itself, no 2 tube amps are the same, and it seems that it was modded in Slashs techs absence. No one will know what it sounds like until they started today.

The point I was intending to convey was, if we take Slash and Kruse at face value, this may be a one and done day at the studio. And I think that would be wise of Slash to limit his GNR studio time to make sure that Axl will follow through. After that they can go full time, maybe.

2 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

We don't know. We found this because somebody outside their circle spoke.

True. I guess thats why we are all trying to fit the pieces together.

26 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

That particular amp leans more towards the AFD signature sound. Given how Slash shouldn't have no problem to bring/find any amp and Axl probably has some pretty decent gear around the house too, I take it as he either wants to continue something that's been worked on before or he wants to bring the signature guitar sound of vintage GNR. Good luck laying that down without Izzy and Steven though. Intresting choice of gear nonetheless.

Slash when on tour is gonna be bombarded with questions about that session anyway, so they might as well open up for a bit and admit they are working on a new album. :lol:

I agree, but Guns and transparency go together like Dr. Pepper and caviar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

14 minutes ago, soon said:

Depends who one believes, I guess? There was the Niven, Arlette, Zutaut claims that sessions began prior to NITL. And theres Slashs claim that nothing has really gotten under way in terms of writing or recording. And then theres all the hints in-between those two claims. I was just going by what Slash has said along with what the Kruse post said, in this instance.

It ain't entirely impossible for them to have had some sessions done already. If they are thinking of a surprise release for the album/single (which still seams a popular strategy among mainstream acts), Slash's claims could be interpreted as a way to throw everyone off. Being the first original material by them in a quarter of a century, it would sell swiftly enough without the build up. Just a theory.

• Like 2

best news since the reunion shit dropped. this isnt a rumor. slash recording at axls studio can only mean one thing.  and the fact that some random dude just dropped this outta nowhere kinda reminds me of when slash just dropped the reunion bomb in some obscure swedish interview. the reunion happened not very long after. my guess is new songs debut at those festivals and an album in november... with a super deluxe edition including more temporary tattoos ready to hit the shelves for xmas

Edited by Hollywood Gunner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, default_ said:

Ok, half of the band is writting together now, but I believe AFD was a product of the life they had back then and cannot really be recreated these days, no matter how hard they try... It can end up being just a bland hard rock album and that would be bad.

I believe this album has to be somewhere between UYI and VR/CD to be any interesting.

Would love to hear Axl have at the Album "The Project " wrote before Scott joined the fold and Izzy co-wrote. Every one involved said it was the best Guns album since Appetite.