STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

On 7/31/2018 at 10:49 PM, DieselDaisy said:

The Disney trilogy has certainly been like Massacre of the Innocents if you were in the originals. R2D2 is shitting oil as we speak, wondering what demise Disney have planned for him. 

At least Disney didn't kill Chewie by having a moon crash into him. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

TFA was the crappiest start for this trilogy that you could imagine. How are you going to make a trilogy with some originality in it, if the first chapter is a complete rip off of the first movie. None of the new characters were interesting at all. Except maybe Kylo Ren. He's the best new character but even he is just okay. All the other new characters were boring as fuck. The only thing that made me interested about TLJ was cause I wanted to see what happened to Luke. He didn't disappoint. He was the best thing about TLJ. TLJ had some flaws, but overall it was a much better film compared to TFA. At least TLJ had some originality in it. I'm glad that they killed Snoke, cause now JJ Abrams can't copy everything from ROTJ. He can't recreate the conflict between Luke, Vader and The Emperor using Rey, Ren and Snoke, now that Snoke is gone. Good riddence! So now they're forced to come up with some new ideas for the next movie. That is a good thing.

At the same time it's hard to be excited about the next movie, cause Kylo Ren just isn't a good enough bad guy. He's not threatening at all, because they made Rey WAY too overpowered in TFA. She won the battle against Kylo without any jedi training, so it feels like the good guys have already won. There's nothing to be excited about in the next movie. We already know that Rey is the stronger one so obviously the good guys will win. So yeah, this trilogy was beyond saving after TFA.

Just now, Dazey said:

Nothing Disney has done is anywhere near as bad as the prequels. 

If anything Disney has made me appreciate the prequels far more. The prequels had characters I actually cared about. I can get behind watching Anakin become Vader and watching his relationship with Obi-Wan sour much more than I can get behind a bunch of faceless, 2D characters battling an overlong version of a title scroll or a Solo backstory that nobody wanted.

The prequels also didn’t attempt to rehash the exact plot points of the original trilogy. Phantom is shit, yes, but honestly I was more bored watching TLJ or Rogue One than I ever was watching Phantom.

0/4 on Disney for me so far. Well, maybe 1/4. I at least find TFA to be an enjoyable watch. Fun, popcorn entertainment but not exactly the next great Star Wars film.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, James Bond said:

If anything Disney has made me appreciate the prequels far more. The prequels had characters I actually cared about. I can get behind watching Anakin become Vader and watching his relationship with Obi-Wan sour much more than I can get behind a bunch of faceless, 2D characters battling an overlong version of a title scroll or a Solo backstory that nobody wanted.

The prequels also didn’t attempt to rehash the exact plot points of the original trilogy. Phantom is shit, yes, but honestly I was more bored watching TLJ or Rogue One than I ever was watching Phantom.

0/4 on Disney for me so far. Well, maybe 1/4. I at least find TFA to be an enjoyable watch. Fun, popcorn entertainment but not exactly the next great Star Wars film.

I really enjoyed TFA, Rogue One and Solo. TLJ was shite but 3/4 isn't bad. It has put me off caring about Episode 9 however.

The prequels were just cinematic excrement of the highest order from start to halfway through Revenge of the Sith. That's only because I could only sit through that much of it before turning it off.

• Like 1

Many things about the prequels were better compared to these Disney films. Especially the music which was superb and on par with the original trilogy. The music in these new SW movies honestly sucks compared to the older movies. I'm not sure if it's necessarily Disney's fault though. It's the same guy John Williams doing the music as in the previous movies. He's just gotten old. Or maybe George Lucas was a better director in getting the best out of John Williams? I don't know.

But also the basic idea (the premise) of the prequels was like a billion times better compared to this new trilogy. The idea behind the prequels was good. Everyone was interested in seeing how a jedi turns to the dark side. This new trilogy doesn't seem to have any point. When they started to film TFA their only idea seemed to be to rip off the original trilogy. 

The prequel trilogy had many cool and original ideas, but the biggest problem in those movies was the dialogue.

• Like 1

The Last Jedi is one of the worst movies I saw last year, to the point it disgusted me. I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan and I left the theater disappointed.

All of Luke's scenes were torn from the pages of an abandoned Saturday Night Live parody, and Rey was infinitely less interesting and badass than she was in the previous film. Kylo had a shot at redemption about halfway through but turned into a baby at the end again.

Were there even any other characters?

I have yet to watch Solo, but it's been sitting on my hard drive, mocking me.

4 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

The Last Jedi is one of the worst movies I saw last year, to the point it disgusted me. I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan and I left the theater disappointed.

All of Luke's scenes were torn from the pages of an abandoned Saturday Night Live parody, and Rey was infinitely less interesting and badass than she was in the previous film. Kylo had a shot at redemption about halfway through but turned into a baby at the end again.

Were there even any other characters?

I have yet to watch Solo, but it's been sitting on my hard drive, mocking me.

Solo is a lot of fun. It benefits from not having to bother with all the Skywalker saga mythology and the force and wotnot. Don't go in expecting Citizen Kane and you'll enjoy it for what it is. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

I hope that IX has considerably less 'ForceTime' conversations. Zero would be perfect. Whereas force ghosts and voices from the heavens like Obi-Wans "Use the force Luke" are more in line with the mythological elements imo. ForceTimeing is pandering to the realities of our real world.

Buried somewhere in the prequels are some cool films. My main issue is that they were heavily based on trade talks, yawn. And another main setting and theme was Jedis sitting in a circle talking slowly. So the parallel story lines were basically "adult conversations" and that is so weird for a Star Wars movie!!

On the other hand the Disney films dont really have much story going. TFA got some going and then they were ditched. Theres pieces of story for sure, but it reminds me of kids playing Star Wars. They know the main story arches and get all dressed up and then its time to decide what to actually do. And nothing compelling or sustaining happens. Cool characters are sent on C story adventures with no purpose.

I am still hopefully for IX though. Im fixing to watch Poe and Finn kick some ass as a team! Rose has found her stride as a hero and Rey is positioned to actually have training in the force for the first time, lol. They still have a chance to make the Kylo story cool. I think they have learned their lesson and we get plenty of Luke!! And the best part is that there will definitely not be any Holdo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance:

I really hope that they kill off Broom Boy signalling the end of Johnsons involvement with Star Wars. Help us Broom Boy, you're our only hope.

• 3 months later...