Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

Here my little review:

1. World on Fire: I was one of the people who weren't too impressed when it was first released, but I actually really like the song now. 9/10

2. Shadow Life: immediatly loved it. 10/10

3. Automatic Overdrive: didn't really catch my attention at first, but not bad. 8/10

4. Wicked Stone: good song, not as good as some people are saying, but it's still good. 8.725/10

5. 30 Years To Life: One of my favorites. 10/10

6. Bent To Fly: Decent... 8.5/10

7. Stone Blind: pretty catchy. 8.5/10

8. Too Far Gone: it's good, not much else. 8.7/10

9. Beneath The Savage Sun: best song on the album. In fact, best Slash song ever. 11/10

10. Withered Delilah: Cowbell!! 10/10

11. Battleground: Yes, Myles sounds great in this song, but the song itself never really clicked with me. 9/10

12. Dirty Girl: catchy. 8.5/10

13. Iris of the Storm: not really memorable, but good. 8.5/10

14. Avalon: not much to say about it, it's catchy... Like all the other songs.... 8.5/10

15. The Dissident: where the fucks my tractor? 100000/10 (without the amazing intro: 8.5/10... Don't really like the chorus)

16. Safari Inn: thank god a song on a Slash record that focuses on Slash. 9.5/10

17. The Unholy: it took me a few tries to listen to the entire song, but I'm glad I did. 9/10

Overall: 9/10

Best solo album Slash has put out.

Do you work for IGN by any chance?

lol

"This game is repetitive, has awful graphics, is too short, and shuts off every 4 minutes" 9/10- IGN

• Like 1

World on Fire is probably better than YCBM.

This is probably somewhere between "those Indians shouldn't give us much trouble" - General Custer - and "Hitler wasn't really that bad a dude" - some guy - on the scale of least right things ever said.

In some ways it is, it's looser and more rock n roll than YCBM. I might like YCBM more in the long term.

But the main difference between UYI and WOF is that I prefer Perfect Crime, RNDTH, Garden of Eden to some of of the filler on WOF. But there's some nice slower ones here, Bent to Fly or Battleground. Safari Inn and Unholy kind of cool. I guess there's no classics like Civil War or Estranged. It's missing a couple of Izzy songs and an Axl epic. But there's 7/8 great tracks.

It's really good up until Bent To Fly then it really falls in quality and only recovers in a few isolate songs likes Iris Of The Storm and Safari Inn. Was expecting so much more of The Unholy.

You seriously don't like Beneath the Savage Sun or Withered Delilah? You need to give the album a lot of time to grow on you. Also, The Unholy is epic...

It's really good up until Bent To Fly then it really falls in quality and only recovers in a few isolate songs likes Iris Of The Storm and Safari Inn. Was expecting so much more of The Unholy.

You seriously don't like Beneath the Savage Sun or Withered Delilah? You need to give the album a lot of time to grow on you. Also, The Unholy is epic...
I'm gonna do that. Might be 'cause it's really long and straight up rock so it gets tiresome along the way too.

Here my little review:

1. World on Fire: I was one of the people who weren't too impressed when it was first released, but I actually really like the song now. 9/10

3. Automatic Overdrive: didn't really catch my attention at first, but not bad. 8/10

4. Wicked Stone: good song, not as good as some people are saying, but it's still good. 8.725/10

9. Beneath The Savage Sun: best song on the album. In fact, best Slash song ever. 11/10

11. Battleground: Yes, Myles sounds great in this song, but the song itself never really clicked with me. 9/10

14. Avalon: not much to say about it, it's catchy... Like all the other songs.... 8.5/10

15. The Dissident: where the fucks my tractor? 100000/10 (without the amazing intro: 8.5/10... Don't really like the chorus)

16. Safari Inn: thank god a song on a Slash record that focuses on Slash. 9.5/10

17. The Unholy: it took me a few tries to listen to the entire song, but I'm glad I did. 9/10

So after 3 spins of the entire album, the only song I'm not really feeling is the dissident; one thing you gotta love about Slash if you like rock n roll is you know he's not gonna really soften his sound as he gets older as so many other bands have done.

I wonder if he'll win a Grammy for this album.

probably not. He's not really a breakthrough artist, making a huge comeback, or the next big thing. When he won with VR, they were the triumphant exiles from the wreckage of GnR. When Halestorm won, they were/are the next big thing; when Sabbath won, was also the 1st album with Ozzy in 40 years. My guess it will be a band like The Pretty Reckless since they were the 1st girl fronted rock band to have 2 #1 rock singles off the same album. Not debating the merits of whether they deserve to win, just oberving the trends of the last few winners in the rock category

I'm gonna do that. Might be 'cause it's really long and straight up rock so it gets tiresome along the way too.

I think you need to listen too it at least 5 times

Here my little review:

So after 3 spins of the entire album, the only song I'm not really feeling is the dissident; one thing you gotta love about Slash if you like rock n roll is you know he's not gonna really soften his sound as he gets older as so many other bands have done.

Really do not like that one either. And you are totally right, Slash still has that raw heavy sound in some of his new songs. That Wicked Stone song definitely has an old GNR vibe to it. I am trying to think of another band today that still has that awesome rock n roll sound like slash does, but just can't seem to find one. Does anyone know of any?

Ah yes, how could I forget ACDC. I really can't wait for their new material. Sabbath's riffs on 13 are great, but I would not class new sabbath as rock n roll. Still love them though. 13 was disappointing for me. I preferred The devil you know. Poor Dio =(

Age Of Reason alone is worth to buy the album. Really great, especially from minute 4 till end.

I don't know, I almost love the whole album. :)

Heard the whole record as background music as I was hanging with friends last night. They are GNR and rock fans so they were curious to hear it. I think the fact that it was in the background kind of made the music get lost on them, but they definitely enjoyed it. Despite the joke about how every song sounds the same, mainly cause of Myles, they did say it was cool that it sounds like the albums explores a lot of different genres and methods of Slash's playing.

Other comments were Myles sounded great, the choruses kind of sucked and weren't as strong as they expected. Safari Inn got a great reaction, with one of them mentioning it didn't sound like a waste of space at all to them. "If I'm hearing a Slash solo record, I want to hear a song that is actually just Slash!" was the exact comment. Another comment when Bent To Fly started was "oh, Anastasia!" which made me think of people here. They also loved the silly intro to The Dissident.

Overall, this was probably my 9th time or so listening to the record in full and it hasn't gotten old yet.

I gave a copy to my friend who loves Alter Bridge and Myles. He is digging it.

My other friend who loves GNR and Slash (thinks we're all fucked for posting on a forum though, but he lurks sometimes) thought Apocalyptic Love was just alright but he seems to be digging this one