2º Bridge School Benefit Show Oct 21, 2012

NachoLZ

Anybody know how the Strep was cured so quickly?

No one said it was cured. He sounds a little better (and even that's a stretch), but nowhere near "cured".

If he sounds the exact same by the end, or even halfway through the Vegas shows, then I'll say that the strep-story was bullshit and Axl has just completely lost his voice. We'll see. :)

Find it hard to believe that it'd be that far of a fall just since this summer. We'll see what happens.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one said it was cured. He sounds a little better (and even that's a stretch), but nowhere near "cured".

If he sounds the exact same by the end, or even halfway through the Vegas shows, then I'll say that the strep-story was bullshit and Axl has just completely lost his voice. We'll see. :)

Find it hard to believe that it'd be that far of a fall just since this summer. We'll see what happens.

That's why I believe the sickness story, but like I said, we'll see how he sounds halfway to the end of Vegas.

No one said it was cured. He sounds a little better, but nowhere near "cured".

So do you think it was just a case of what we've seen in the past...........that he didn't rehearse with the band and just showed up and sang? Maybe throw in a cold as well. But hasn't that been the trend of late? The first few shows (like Rio) are terrible and then they get better as the tour goes along?

You'd think a professional would act like a professional and show up to the first show prepared!!!!!

But I do hope they KILL it in Vegas. I hope they get tons of positive press and that Axl and the Band are in top notch form and blow people away.

BS

On a side note.

What did you think of the actual acoustic performance?

I was hoping for a scaled down acoustic performance of each song. But what they really did - it seems - is just played the songs like normal but not with electric instruments. Do you know what I mean? There is an acoustic version, where it is just like the electric version of the song except acoustic........then there is a couple guys with guitars, slowing it down.

Like the old days when BJ kicked off the acoustic craze (not invented it, just made it popular again). Just JBJ and Sambora on guitar.

A good example is Paradise City. That's a song that really isn't an acoustic type song. They just played the same song - but with acoustic guitars instead of electric. Think of the fast version of You're Crazy..........then you slow it down and do the slow version acoustically.

Better would sound AMAZING in a true acoustic form. If they slowed the song down a bit.

I was hoping for a real acoustic set - but what they really did was just played the normal songs, but in a way of "Hey, it's outside and we have neighbors, so let's not plug the electric guitars in tonight."

Make sense?

Edited by Groghan

For them to Adapt the songs for an acoustic set that would have required Axl to spend time with the band in rehearsals and God knows that's not going to happen. That would have been amazing and less taxing on Axl's voice but lord knows if there isn't an audience then Axl ain't going to be there.

Isn't it mostly the same in the studio? Shame. They're never going to be a real band until Axl makes himself an equal and gets off his damn thrown. (couch)

Holy shit... I hate to be a hater but this can't be happening. RETIRE. Have some dignity... it's kinda late for that. Axl finds new ways to disappoint his fans every year. Really, it's so sad to see my favorite frontman singing worse than the american idol bloopers. I can't defend GnR anymore. I feel sad for DJ and Ron. They should leave.

Holy shit... I hate to be a hater but this can't be happening. RETIRE. Have some dignity... it's kinda late for that. Axl finds new ways to disappoint his fans every year. Really, it's so sad to see my favorite frontman singing worse than the american idol bloopers. I can't defend GnR anymore. I feel sad for DJ and Ron. They should leave.

I don't know, he sounded much better last night than he did the first night.

The performance was horrible. Hell in my opinion one of Axl's worst moments of all time even. But at the same time, if he was sick he could have either pulled out of the show which would make him look like a huge asshole or he could do what he did and go out there and do what he can. But still it is a cringeworthy performance, I barely made it through when I rewatched it.

Edited by WhazUp

Axl was late, screwed up lyrics, swore and sounded horrible show one. His team said it was because of Strep.(just like Rio was because of being sick. Mtv music awards was because of a faulty ear piece. Etc. Etc. Etc.)

Groghan can you tell me who from the GNR camp claimed that Axl was sick at RIR IV and when he told that?

I didn't even know he had strep. I rarely come on these forums anymore... Seriously the cupcakes are out of control....I would never spend my time on a forum just to complain... My life is way too rad to focus on the negative...

But to each their own I guess.

But yea, he sounded awesome.

But you have time to complain about people who complain?

This isn't a band run fan site where you are only allowed to worship the band. It is an open forum for people to share their opinions. When Axl kills it - people praise him. When he screws up.....in your world, people should still praise him?

Axl was late, screwed up lyrics, swore and sounded horrible show one. His team said it was because of Strep.(just like Rio was because of being sick. Mtv music awards was because of a faulty ear piece. Etc. Etc. Etc.)

But 23 hours later the Strep is mysteriously cured????

I'm just as big of a fan as anybody here. I just don't worship his every move. And it saddens me that every major event the headline or watercooler talk is never "boy, Axl tore it up last night" but is "wow, what the hell happened."

Ali.....any word at the show how Axl cured the Strep he was battling? Pretty amazing to cure it in 23 hours like that.

Any word on why he screwed up lyrics?

Any word on why they were late going on?

According to RollingStone...

"However, the delay was due to what ended up being the night's biggest surprise: an unexpected performance by Pearl Jam frontman and Neil Young acolyte Eddie Vedder."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/eddie-vedder-joins-guns-n-roses-and-jack-white-at-bridge-school-benefit-20121021

cupcakes (in general) are worse than anarchists looking to only see things from certain angles to help their agenda...

Edited by Coma16

He definitely sounds better 2nd night, in the clips we've heard so far.

As for Groghan being a smartass, I am definitely not one of those who praise Axl 100% of the time. But sometimes when people get sick, they take some medicine and get some sleep, and feel better the next day. I myself have been sick as a dog all week, and it comes and goes, there are times when I can't stop coughing, times when I feel pretty good. It would not be surprising in the least if his throat felt a lot better the second night.

Axl has an off night and people think his voice is done and he should retire or other such comments... Wow, I saw him in Orlando last year and he sounded fantastic. (as did the band). We've already heard his voice was better on the second night. I think it's outlandish to comment on permanant vocal loss, retirement, yadda yadda...

As for rehearsing...nothing new there, right or wrong, people expect that to change after so many years? We know what to expect.

If he was sick, I can only hope he didn't push his voice too much as that can lead to real damage. I'll be interested to hear what he sounds like at the next shows.

Edited by mcalldp

Just got back from the show. Fucking amazing!!!! I love this band so much! Seriously the chemistry between the members was perfect, axl sounded great, and the performance with Neil wa legendary.

The look on axl and Richards faces when they were just watching Neil perform was priceless. Can't wait for Vegas!!!!!

I'm glad you had fun but how can someone with a strep throat sound great? How does that work?

Judging by how much people claim to love how Axl sang in the worst part of the 90s, they actually like those growling, grating noises.

He never sounded weak though, I've never seen a video of the old era where he sounds terrible. He always had the power in his voice.

There are some shows in 1991-92 where he sounded absolutely awful. All rasp with hardly any pitch. Literally a dying cat. Tokyo 92 is an example.

Are you comparing Axl's vocal performance between Tokyo 92 and the 10.20.2012 show? Or to the last couple of years?

No. Like I said, Bridge School is the worst performance I've ever heard from Axl. That being said, I do still think Tokyo 92 is terrible and consider some 2006-10 performances to be superior.

Axl sounded miles better last night from what I've seen/heard. I don't think the strep throat excuse is BS like some people...his voice in the first show was absolutely dreadful and you could tell he wasn't even trying to sing with any rasp whatsoever. He wouldn't have done that if he wasn't sick.

I love the acoustic version of "Better"...if Axl's voice was right it would've been really cool to hear a proper version of that.

Is it any coincidence Axl has sounded the worst in recent years on shows that have been streamed live? I mean, it's ridiculous how bad he's sounded in the first Bridge show, Rio, House Of Blues, etc. The only exception was the Vegas shows.

Axl sounded miles better last night from what I've seen/heard. I don't think the strep throat excuse is BS like some people...his voice in the first show was absolutely dreadful and you could tell he wasn't even trying to sing with any rasp whatsoever. He wouldn't have done that if he wasn't sick.

I love the acoustic version of "Better"...if Axl's voice was right it would've been really cool to hear a proper version of that.

Is it any coincidence Axl has sounded the worst in recent years on shows that have been streamed live? I mean, it's ridiculous how bad he's sounded in the first Bridge show, Rio, House Of Blues, etc. The only exception was the Vegas shows.

That's not the only exception. His voice was in fine form at the LA Forum show last year.

Ali

Is it possible that the 2009-2010 Tour did such a number on his throat that he took steps to try and retire the rasp all together?

It has been used so sparingly since then that perhaps just maybe this could be the case?

Like he wanted to go out and prove the critics wrong soo bad that he just over did it and realized he just couldn't do it anymore.

Man Axl is a legend, he should just step down for a while and just see his accomplishments; rest his voice and get in shape and get the ball rolling.

then maybe axl should announce on jimmy kimmel he's postponing the vegas residency until his voice is 1000 percent ready to go

Man Axl is a legend, he should just step down for a while and just see his accomplishments; rest his voice and get in shape and get the ball rolling.

then maybe axl should announce on jimmy kimmel he's postponing the vegas residency until his voice is 1000 percent ready to go

I actually wish Axl would do that but I know he wont and he will keep ruining his voice and keep playing with band mates that are beneath him. Sad really...