Is Going Down better than anything on CD?

SunnyDRE

It sounds to me, in a weird way, a lot organically closer to older GN'R, whereas some of Chinese sounded a bit like they were consciously trying to mix in old GN'R? I love ChiDem so that's not me slagging off the record, but this track could comfortably fit in alongside an Illusion track... it's like the Replacements covering 'Dead Flowers' with Axl on backup vocals. It's got that straight-up, straightforward rock n' roll edge that some people felt ChiDem was lacking. I dig it.

• Like 2

It sounds to me, in a weird way, a lot organically closer to older GN'R, whereas some of Chinese sounded a bit like they were consciously trying to mix in old GN'R? I love ChiDem so that's not me slagging off the record, but this track could comfortably fit in alongside an Illusion track... it's like the Replacements covering 'Dead Flowers' with Axl on backup vocals. It's got that straight-up, straightforward rock n' roll edge that some people felt ChiDem was lacking. I dig it.

/thread

I think so.

Even better than Better, which was the only song on ChiDem I could remotely stand.

Not trolling.

Would really like to hear how you rank it against CD songs.

I hear you dude. It's too early to ask that question, probably. We're a stubborn bunch here who clearly having trouble letting go, even of the misery that has been the uber-stressful Chi Dem era. Most people on here have a narrow view and understanding of music, rock n roll, electronic music, Gnr and can't articulate their opinion much less perceive the distinction between objectivity and subjectivity. They just want to be heard.

Personally I think Going Down is very promising. Listening to it all day. It pulls together not only the diverse personnel into a cohesive, organic band, but it reminds me of all their bands in the 80s and 90s, which of course I associate with Gnr, and other great bands that everybody saw and respected, unlike this mainstream shit today.

As for me, I agree its a better sound than most of Chi Dem, which lacked realizing the good ideas that constituted the songs. Axl needs a clearer path and determination to let it rip. He lets it become too ballad-y and depressing and just...not good sounding, on Chi Dem. IRS and CITR did it best though, and I cant really even compare those songs to Going Down, so, I dunno.

Edited by Eu4ic
  • Like 1

Remember this is a demo and not the final mix. However judging on that its better than..

if the world

scraped

Raid

catcher

Those songs are a bit overkill and could do with stripping down. I love going down that its not over produced (yet).

Anybody who thinks it's better than Catcher In The Rye is seriously deluded. Catcher is one of the best songs Axl's ever written IMO. Going Down is a decent b-side at best.

• Like 2

/thread

Win,i love cd but this us closer to classic gnr

• Like 1

It feels like it's created by one band, unlike CD.

CD is a great album, but it was created over the course of 14 years. It had more musicians play and write on it than you could count on both hands. It was a melting pot of different sounds and people.

Goin' down is put together well and isn't over produced. It has a raw AFD style to it, but a modern feel.

CITR is a good song, but it's over produced. The 1999 version is much better than the final one though.

Yeah, I can see that.

When I was listening to it, I instantly thought of Albert Hammond's (The Strokes) first solo record.