Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

I bought a record off of Discogs 25 days ago. I messaged them after two weeks as they hadn't even acknowledged the payment, it took them 6 days to respond and I haven't heard back from them since I replied. They've got really good feedback after 5000+ transactions, they are a physical store but I wouldn't say that's a good excuse to explain the lack of communication.

Hoping to keep them sweet and eventually get the record as it was a steal, it sells for at least double the price elsewhere. I've never ever left negative feedback, if I'm not happy with something, I'll message directly or find an alternative myself as I don't like having a negative influence on someone's source of income, especially if it's their main source, but I'm tempted to ditch the above and make their lack of communication known - only if I get the record though, as I'll leave it in my comment by selecting a positive experience for feedback.

2 hours ago, Dean said:

I bought a record off of Discogs 25 days ago. I messaged them after two weeks as they hadn't even acknowledged the payment, it took them 6 days to respond and I haven't heard back from them since I replied. They've got really good feedback after 5000+ transactions, they are a physical store but I wouldn't say that's a good excuse to explain the lack of communication.

Hoping to keep them sweet and eventually get the record as it was a steal, it sells for at least double the price elsewhere. I've never ever left negative feedback, if I'm not happy with something, I'll message directly or find an alternative myself as I don't like having a negative influence on someone's source of income, especially if it's their main source, but I'm tempted to ditch the above and make their lack of communication known - only if I get the record though, as I'll leave it in my comment by selecting a positive experience for feedback.

I don't care how busy they are, that's an insanely bad turnaround time for messaging / handling the transaction. I'd say you're in the right to leave negative feedback if this whole thing takes much longer. Even if the record is delivered soon and it's exactly as described, I would still leave neutral feedback. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I don't care how busy they are, that's an insanely bad turnaround time for messaging / handling the transaction. I'd say you're in the right to leave negative feedback if this whole thing takes much longer. Even if the record is delivered soon and it's exactly as described, I would still leave neutral feedback. 

My fear with that is if they do likewise with me, or potentially leave negative feedback if I was completely honest and left neutral feedback and warned people what to expect. I'm still sat at 100% for my Buyer Rating and it'd be unfortunate for this store to ruin that! 

12 minutes ago, Dean said:

My fear with that is if they do likewise with me, or potentially leave negative feedback if I was completely honest and left neutral feedback and warned people what to expect. I'm still sat at 100% for my Buyer Rating and it'd be unfortunate for this store to ruin that! 

I hear ya on that. Ugh, it's a sticky situation. I sure hope the record arrives some time soon AND in the condition listed. 

On 8/28/2021 at 11:11 AM, Dean said:

I bet they don't have it in stock. That happened to me last year, took weeks for them to get back to me and turned out they were advertising vinyls they didnt have and had to find the stock to then sell on to me.

Discogs really needs a system to stop revenge negative feedback like that. If someone has had a poor experience they should be able to fairly provide feedback without fear of retribution.

On an unrelated note...

That Black Label Society boxset arrived - it is fantastic, but... why on earth do they persist in selling stuff for hundreds of dollars to only use crappy paper inserts!!!!! So annoying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

I bet they don't have it in stock. That happened to me last year, took weeks for them to get back to me and turned out they were advertising vinyls they didnt have and had to find the stock to then sell on to me.

Discogs really needs a system to stop revenge negative feedback like that. If someone has had a poor experience they should be able to fairly provide feedback without fear of retribution.

On an unrelated note...

That Black Label Society boxset arrived - it is fantastic, but... why on earth do they persist in selling stuff for hundreds of dollars to only use crappy paper inserts!!!!! So annoying.

Paper inner sleeves are the goddamn devil. I'm stunned by so many high priced boxed sets that comes with them. 

I'm really speechless. After 28 days, 17 days that there was absolutely no acknowledgement of the order at all, countless ignored messages, I received this....ONE MINUTE after I had assumed they didn't have it in stock. I had typed out a message saying I would have appreciated the heads up as soon as they were aware that it wasn't in stock instead of no acknowledgement of the order for 17 days and it appearing that I wasn't the only one who received this treatment etc.  They have a couple other records that I wouldn't mind having, so currently debating sending it off. Complete piss take though.

image.png.bb99ce73f5ed82c19684ff0049820bee.png

• Sad 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

11 hours ago, Dean said:

I'm really speechless. After 28 days, 17 days that there was absolutely no acknowledgement of the order at all, countless ignored messages, I received this....ONE MINUTE after I had assumed they didn't have it in stock. I had typed out a message saying I would have appreciated the heads up as soon as they were aware that it wasn't in stock instead of no acknowledgement of the order for 17 days and it appearing that I wasn't the only one who received this treatment etc.  They have a couple other records that I wouldn't mind having, so currently debating sending it off. Complete piss take though.

image.png.bb99ce73f5ed82c19684ff0049820bee.png

That's such bullshit, I'm sorry that happened man. 

4 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

recently bought re-issues of Garbage's first album, Alanis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill and Nick Cave's cover album..

been selling more than I've been buying lately.

Jagged Little Pill sounds fantastic. Good grab. 

10 hours ago, RussTCB said:

That's such bullshit, I'm sorry that happened man. 

It's all good! They're sending me that Johnny Thunders tribute record that Tommy Stinson played on, they played the entire L.A.M.F record live at the Bowery Factory, along with Sammy Hagar's Space Between. I've never listened to either of them, so it's something different. I've been on a bit of a Van Halen binge of late and seemed fitting to get a Hagar record, regardless if it's poor or not! I'll soon find out! I'll never buy records from this mob again though. Lesson learned!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coma16 said:

Just finished listened to Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy (US version). Can't believe how unlistenable SOD, Catcher and IRS. Doubt it will likely ever get properly repressed. Maybe I'll search for a Euro pressing....

I've always been curious to play the US version to see how bad it actually is. I have a sealed copy of it but never seen the point in opening it when I have the EU version to play. The EU pressing seems to be quite pricey these days so I hope you manage to come across a bargain!

6 hours ago, Coma16 said:

Just finished listened to Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy (US version). Can't believe how unlistenable SOD, Catcher and IRS. Doubt it will likely ever get properly repressed. Maybe I'll search for a Euro pressing....

The last song and a half on each side is like that. It's the worst case of inner groove distortion I've ever heard of. 

I finally got a European pressing about 2 years ago and the difference is night and day. The European pressings are getting pricey now but it was worth it to me because Chinese is my favorite GN'R album. 

• GNFNR 1

Jeez guys, if you like Glen Campbell, then Live at the Royal Festival Hall is essential listening. The UK pressing is dirt cheap, though I do wonder if it's to do with Side 4 being on the back of Side 1?! Bizarre. Glen is tremendous form. Highly recommend!

• Like 1

The reissue I have of Van Halen's 1984 sounds fantastic. They've done a great job of it. 

Today would be Freddie Mercury's 75th birthday, so be sure to blast some Queen! I've got Made In Heaven lined up for later, though may even give Mr. Bad Guy a spin too!

The very best. 

• Like 1

A few more purchases.

Cigarettes After Sex - Cry

LUH - Spiritual Songs for Lovers to Sing (breakaway project of the lead singer of WU LYF that I've raved on about in the past)

Dean Martin - 3 LP Platinum Collection (Pressed on white vinyl, this label has issued many compilations for artists, from Elvis to Sinatra, all on white vinyl. You can check them out on Amazon, they're dirt cheap. Unsure of the quality as I haven't played them yet but will report back.)

Coldplay's A Rush of Blood to the Head, X & Y and Viva La Vida. Probably not everyone's cup of tea but I really enjoyed all of their records up to Mylo Xyloto, haven't checked out anything from their last records other than hearing the singles on radio.

I got through all of Dizzy's solo album last night and quite honestly it's not as bad as I thought it would have been. 

3 hours ago, Dean said:

A few more purchases.

Cigarettes After Sex - Cry

LUH - Spiritual Songs for Lovers to Sing (breakaway project of the lead singer of WU LYF that I've raved on about in the past)

Dean Martin - 3 LP Platinum Collection (Pressed on white vinyl, this label has issued many compilations for artists, from Elvis to Sinatra, all on white vinyl. You can check them out on Amazon, they're dirt cheap. Unsure of the quality as I haven't played them yet but will report back.)

Coldplay's A Rush of Blood to the Head, X & Y and Viva La Vida. Probably not everyone's cup of tea but I really enjoyed all of their records up to Mylo Xyloto, haven't checked out anything from their last records other than hearing the singles on radio.

I got through all of Dizzy's solo album last night and quite honestly it's not as bad as I thought it would have been. 

I need some Dean Martin so I may need to look into that. I have a good amount of Sinatra but no Dean. 

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I need some Dean Martin so I may need to look into that. I have a good amount of Sinatra but no Dean. 

Check out some of the others that they do: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=the+platinum+collection&i=popular&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

That said, the Dino records seem to be fetching $51 (I believe they're all pressed in the UK), but there's a chap selling it across the pond still sealed for about £5 more than I bought it for - still brand new!

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/8718305?ships_from=United+States

• Like 1