Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

12 minutes ago, hudsonsaul said:

Hi folks, 

I've got a Regar Planar 1plus, and it's time to replace the stylus. 

Could anyone recommend me a quality replacement? 

Not knowledgeable enough on the subject and also am being lazy by relying on y'all in this thread instead of chewing through the Internet:) 

Thanks

You can put nearly any cartridge you want on that tone arm. So you're basically only limited by budget. Do you have an idea of a price range you want to stay in? I can make plenty of recommendations once I know that. 

38 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

You can put nearly any cartridge you want on that tone arm. So you're basically only limited by budget. Do you have an idea of a price range you want to stay in? I can make plenty of recommendations once I know that. 

Whatever the default one is, will be the minimum requirement but ideally will use the opportunity to upgrade to something better. 

Only caveat being that my set up is by no means audiophile - so a million dollar stylus would be wasted. 

Happy to sink a decent amount of money, but tbh don't know the price rages of good ones. Let's just 150 - 350, but again nfi what that range brings in. 

30 minutes ago, hudsonsaul said:

Whatever the default one is, will be the minimum requirement but ideally will use the opportunity to upgrade to something better. 

Only caveat being that my set up is by no means audiophile - so a million dollar stylus would be wasted. 

Happy to sink a decent amount of money, but tbh don't know the price rages of good ones. Let's just 150 - 350, but again nfi what that range brings in. 

I'm a big fan of the Ortofon 2M series. You could get into the 2M Blue easily in that price range. I have the 2M Bronze, which I love but it's a bit on the high price range. 

I FINALLY picked up an original pressing of Keane's Strangeland. You guys will be thinking "this guy is nuts listening to that shite!" but I am buzzing! Great fucking album. Tom Chaplin has a great voice and is the only one I've moderately enjoyed doing Queen songs. Moderately. !!!

• Like 1

Hey guys, have any of you had a full refund from Discogs before? That AC/DC record I shipped back, the fella reimbursed me the fee of the record but didn't return the initial postage that I'd paid along with it. So essentially I paid £12/13 in Delivery initially and returning. Is that normal? I would have thought I'd have to pay the return postage, but thought I'd have gotten the £7 back along with the value of the record.

This album came out in April and is finally getting a vinyl release :D

DSC05574.jpg?v=1633035239

He's also releasing a music video for each song on the album over the next 2 weeks, 1 video per day.

The album's first track: :devilshades:

Most of Yelawolf's albums aren't available on vinyl, but he teased the test pressings for this album on instagram like a year ago, so it's great to finally see it released. I bought it in a heartbeat :lol:

There's also a full length movie based on the album on the way.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 5:06 AM, Dean said:

Hey guys, have any of you had a full refund from Discogs before? That AC/DC record I shipped back, the fella reimbursed me the fee of the record but didn't return the initial postage that I'd paid along with it. So essentially I paid £12/13 in Delivery initially and returning. Is that normal? I would have thought I'd have to pay the return postage, but thought I'd have gotten the £7 back along with the value of the record.

Meant to reply to this yesterday. I've only ever had one issue on Discogs and I reached an agreement with a buyer for a partial refund, so I'm not sure about the shipping payments. 

I know there's a forum on Discogs so take a look there maybe. I've never posted on their forum but I do know it exists. There has to be a whole section with FAQs on conflict resolution. If not, you could probably make a thread and get an answer fairly quickly. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

New video out :)

I have the Lazaretto vault and to me it just sounds so quiet (it's just so pretty though) I want to say the standard black version suffered from the same but I sold it a while back.

Edited by Coma16

Just now, Coma16 said:

I have the Lazaretto vault and to me it just sounds so quiet. I want to say the standard black version suffered from the same but I sold it a while back.

Interesting. Mine doesn't seem quiet but it has the issue I talked about in the video. It very well could just be some sort of issue with Third Man. Having said that, I don't have any volume issue with the retail version of Lazaretto. 

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't really care about colour variants, but I thought the main "advantage" to them, aside from the visual aspect, is they don't use as much recycled vinyl as regular black records? I can't even remember where I heard that though, haha.

Hmm.....I'd never heard that before. Not saying it's not true, I just don't think I've ever heard that. 

22 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Hmm.....I'd never heard that before. Not saying it's not true, I just don't think I've ever heard that. 

Could be total BS for all I know, I think it's something that a friend told me years ago and I just accepted it :lol: I figured someone in this thread would know more about it than me.

• Like 1

I've been debating getting a CD player again. I had a pretty sizable collection that is just sitting in the loft and having pre-ordered the Hard Skool "EP" on both vinyl and CD, I've been thinking about bringing everything down and seeing what I make of it. The Hard Skool release will be the first CD I've bought since Jeff Lynne's re-recordings of ELO's hits back in 2012.

Recent Vinyl Purchases:

The Beatles Singles Collection - I've been playing an awful lot of singles recently and its been a good change from the constant cycle of albums I've been on for the longest time!

The Spaghetti Incident on Orange Vinyl - Pretty pleased to get that for slightly under the median value. I've had my eye on it for a while and came close to picking it up last month as there was a gentleman selling a sealed copy for £100 on Facebook Marketplace, but for whatever reason, refused to ship it up to Scotland. 

I've 3 LP's arriving from a band called Men I Trust. Very synth orientated, but the female vocalist has a tremendously soothing voice. Check them out and see if they do anything for you: 

I just literally stumbled across a EU pressing of Chinese on eBay with a buy now of £30 - I obviously was all over it. Hopefully it doesn't arrive scratched to fuck as the chap showed no pictures of the record themselves!! 

On 11/13/2021 at 9:57 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't really care about colour variants, but I thought the main "advantage" to them, aside from the visual aspect, is they don't use as much recycled vinyl as regular black records? I can't even remember where I heard that though, haha.

Yeah I haven't heard that with colors.

That is the main argument for why Japanese pressings are better though.

• Like 1