Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

Finally got around to ordering a vinyl cleaning system:

https://www.spincare.co.uk/products/spincare-vinyl-record-lp-cleaning-machine-system-accessories-inc-drying-rack

Will give it a go at the weekend.

Also ordered a few more Herbie Hancock vinyls from his funk jazz era:

Herbie Hancock - Manchild

Herbie Hancock - Flood

Herbie Hancock - Crossings

Bring it on!!!

• Like 2

One of my favourite bands is releasing an album on Valentine's Day next year and the first couple hundred orders will get a 'crystal clear' variant, which is cool. I like that way of doing it, rather than offering the variant for sale at a few bucks more than the standard black vinyl.

Look at this ridiculous album cover though :lol:

attachment-The-Foxy-Shazam-The-Heart-Beh

They released a video for the album's intro and it's a total early 70s throwback... I'm looking forward to this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Keane's Strangeland is a record I hold quite highly, but I don't own it on vinyl. It's out of print, both the original and reissue from 2016 and both fetch over £80 according to Discogs. I'm debating whether or not to pull the trigger on it, but I'd be sickened if another reissue happens in a year or two (10th anniversary will be next year) as owning the original isn't really a big thing for me. Still got a rake of records to get through from the last batch I purchased a few weeks back so I have a lot of listening to do over the weekend. Have a good one, folks!

• Like 2

Last week I set up a local music store called Rock City Detroit. We shot two videos for the YouTube channel and they're both coming this week. 

For tomorrow's video, I asked the owner to bring some rare records from his personal collection. He did NOT disappoint! I told him not to show them to me until we were filming so the reactions you'll see from me are real. 

Saturday's video is going to be an interview of sorts with him about what it's like to be in the vinyl / musical instruments business. 

• Like 1

Over the moon with this slipmat! I’ve no intention of moving away from the rubber mat, this is merely for show, but it didn’t half turn out well! Also, that’s the last album I played. A load of remixes on the work of Foals!

Have a great weekend, folks! Up the Celts!!!!!!!!

0A9BB786-2293-408C-9F29-61501CCAAB14.jpeg.63849a9fec4e7ba00c6828623978c42a.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/15/2021 at 2:32 AM, RussTCB said:

The first of two videos I did at a local record / music instrument store. 

Just watched vid, really liked it. 2 things, White Album, what mix do you prefer, and why? And your shirt, I was under the assumption that those were only sold at Graceland? You a big fan, have you been? 

18 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Just watched vid, really liked it. 2 things, White Album, what mix do you prefer, and why? And your shirt, I was under the assumption that those were only sold at Graceland? You a big fan, have you been? 

Let me answer your first question with a video I did on exactly that topic lol 

Second question: yep, I did in fact get that shirt at Graceland. I've been there over 25 times since I was 8

5 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

I have the new Let It Be deluxe box arriving today. Excited it's finally out since it should have came out last year but covid fucked everything up.

I've not really looked into this, but after watching an unboxing, I may pick it up!

Currently blasting Original Soundtracks I by Passengers (Eno/U2). I think I paid around £50 for this a few years back, it's went up considerably since.

7 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

I have the new Let It Be deluxe box arriving today. Excited it's finally out since it should have came out last year but covid fucked everything up.

I'm on Dallas for work right now, but I'm going to pick up the single LP when I get back home. I *loved* what Giles did with The White Album and I expect this to be similar.

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'm on Dallas for work right now, but I'm going to pick up the single LP when I get back home. I *loved* what Giles did with The White Album and I expect this to be similar.

It’s funny because I actually think Giles mixes are masturbatory nonsense that are completely unnecessary. It’s awesome having so many outtakes and demos officially released through all these box sets though.

also, can’t wait for the doc next month. 

44 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

It’s funny because I actually think Giles mixes are masturbatory nonsense that are completely unnecessary. It’s awesome having so many outtakes and demos officially released through all these box sets though.

also, can’t wait for the doc next month. 

What a bummer. I think the Giles remixes of The White Album lift if to the listening experience it was meant to be. 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

What a bummer. I think the Giles remixes of The White Album lift if to the listening experience it was meant to be. 

I think the way the Beatles released is the way it was meant to be.

To each their own, I’m just glad they are releasing all these anniversary sets, so if the new mixes are the main element of them, keep ‘em coming.

7 hours ago, Dean said:

I've not really looked into this, but after watching an unboxing, I may pick it up!

Currently blasting Original Soundtracks I by Passengers (Eno/U2). I think I paid around £50 for this a few years back, it's went up considerably since.

I LOVE Brian Eno. Burning Shed is a good website for his stuff (and other bands).

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 10/16/2021 at 8:06 AM, RussTCB said:

Let me answer your first question with a video I did on exactly that topic lol 

Second question: yep, I did in fact get that shirt at Graceland. I've been there over 25 times since I was 8

Awesome thanks for that. I'll hunt out the Giles mix. On dynamic range website it has the Giles mix as the most dynamic version, so looking forward to it as WA is definitely one of my fav albums. 

Wow, 25 times, that's amazing. Why so many, has it changed over the years? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

Awesome thanks for that. I'll hunt out the Giles mix. On dynamic range website it has the Giles mix as the most dynamic version, so looking forward to it as WA is definitely one of my fav albums. 

Wow, 25 times, that's amazing. Why so many, has it changed over the years? 

I've gone that many times for a mixture of reasons. I went with my mom numerous times before she passed away. I went with several different friends over the years. I also used to travel a ton for work and I'd stop in whenever I was in Memphis. As a matter of fact, I got the shirt in that video during a work trip. 

Having said that, literally as I'm typing this post, a message just came into my phone saying Elvis' drummer Ronnie Tutt passed away :(

• Sad 2

On 10/16/2021 at 8:22 AM, ToonGuns said:

I LOVE Brian Eno. Burning Shed is a good website for his stuff (and other bands).

How'd you get on with your cleaning kit? What's the verdict on it as it was the same one I had looked at originally. The fiber brush has been great, but I think a cleaning kit like the one you picked up is more likely to get rid of any lingering pops.

I came across Terry Reid's Other Side of the River for £30 on Amazon, though it looks like they don't have it in stock. So far, I'm currently waiting on George Michael's Symphonica (potentially released next year), Frank Sinatra's At The Sands, RHCP's By The Way and the Terry Reid record, all from Amazon. Frustrating, but it's all either at face value or far cheaper than what they sell second hand, so I'm happy enough to play the waiting game!

I pulled the trigger on an original copy of High Voltage with the first artwork - I never knew it had a different cover originally so picked up that too. 

Skid Row are finally releasing a box set, hopefully they release the albums individually so I can get Subhuman Beings On Tour at some point.

Skid Row - The Atlantic Years (1989 - 1996) 

• 7x Vinyl LP boxset
  • Standard Black Vinyl
  • All Albums Newly Remastered

RELEASE DATE: 12/3/2021

DESCRIPTION:
This five album, 7LP side loading boxset includes:

• SKID ROW
  • SLAVE TO THE GRIND (2 x LP)
  • B-SIDE OURSELVES
  • SUBHUMAN RACE (2 x LP)
  • SUBHUMAN BEINGS ON TOUR!!
  • Wow 1