Jurassic World [SPOILERS]

sweetness

Aside from being skeptical of the idea of trained raptors, I'm excited.

People kind of thought the first Guardians of the Galaxy trailer made the film look terrible (or just cheesy) and look how that turned out. :shrugs:

Not saying this is going to be a masterpiece or up to par with the first, I'm not expecting that. But it's Jurassic Park, and has dinosaurs, so I'm excited.

Same, except that I think the idea of trained raptors is absolute horsecock.

I suppose it's more or less logical that a company that's this involved in genetics and cloning would create it's own dinosaur. But I still don't really like it because it's fictitious. One of the most awesome parts of the original JP was that all these amazing monsters from your childhood, the ones you had models and toys of and you read in library books about (back in my day, kids) etc, came to life. A "fake" dinosaur lacks that. And that's a bold risk to take.

Also, was that a Deinosuchus? If so, AWESOME!

Also, the original JP music still makes me choke up. Love it. It was just SO perfect.

I suppose it's more or less logical that a company that's this involved in genetics and cloning would create it's own dinosaur. But I still don't really like it because it's fictitious. One of the most awesome parts of the original JP was that all these amazing monsters from your childhood, the ones you had models and toys of and you read in library books about (back in my day, kids) etc, came to life. A "fake" dinosaur lacks that. And that's a bold risk to take.

Also, the original JP music still makes me choke up. Love it. It was just SO perfect.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. But, ficticious or not, and I was somewhat hesitant on the "new" dinosaur idea too, but thinking more about it, I like the idea. It's not the same "current dinos break lose, cause havoc" as the first two. It's a bit of a spin on the old story, which I like; It's something they aren't used to and have to learn about to try to "defeat" it. And I love how they have the 'water' dinos this time around too.

And no, that was a Liopleurodon like Amir said on the previous page. Still cool though.

• Like 1

Yeah, I see what you're saying. But, ficticious or not, and I was somewhat hesitant on the "new" dinosaur idea too, but thinking more about it, I like the idea. It's not the same "current dinos break lose, cause havoc" as the first two. It's a bit of a spin on the old story, which I like; It's something they aren't used to and have to learn about to try to "defeat" it. And I love how they have the 'water' dinos this time around too.

And no, that was a Liopleurodon like Amir said on the previous page. Still cool though.

This wiki says it's a Mosasaurus.

http://jurassicpark.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Jurassic_World_dinosaurs?display=exhibition&sort=mostvisited

http://jurassicpark.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Jurassic_World_dinosaurs?display=exhibition&sort=mostvisited

That may be incorrect (of course I could be as well), because if you look at the fins on both of them the one in the trailer looks more like a Liopleurodon. Mouth looks more like one too.

That may be incorrect (of course I could be as well), because if you look at the fins on both of them the one in the trailer looks more like a Liopleurodon. Mouth looks more like one too.

You nerd! :lol: I'm sorry, I really love that you just said that. Total deja vu for a lot of arguments I might've had with kids school back in the day. I feel all nostalgic now. ^_^

I would have had this as the first proper trailer, not the teaser.

It's cliched, but I would have gone for the old flash-cuts + not much dialogue + suspenseful music (like they almost did in the second half of this trailer).

We saw with GOTG how much the CGI changed from trailer to second trailer to third to finished film.

The Godzilla teaser was a fucking masterpiece (albeit misleading, making Godzilla out to be a destroyer of worlds as opposed to the hero he ended up being). The really got me hyped. Most trailers do. This is the first in a while for a film I've been at least intrigued about that has somewhat disappointed me.

That said, I loved the first official trailer for Interstellar (the one with Evey Reborn from the V for Vendetta score), and didn't watch any other trailers until after seeing the film. After I saw those, I could see why a few friends were put off, they really made the film look rubbish, they even took the worst speech from the film and shoved it in there.

The new John Hammond!

And just from trawling IMDB:

"One of the ideas featured a group of soldiers that were genetically crossed humans and dinosaurs. This was proposed by John Sayles in 2004 but has been scrapped."

Damn, I love that idea :lol:

The only thing about the CGI I can complain about is that they use it for set pieces, the dinosaurs don't look bad at all, ffs. Has anybody watched the original Jurassic Park recently? Despite the pioneering masterpiece in special effects overall, the raptors in the kitchen scene really has not aged well. By today's saturated CGI standards, this is fine, but stationary buildings done in CGI never sell, wish they hadn't done that.

Still love the idea that this takes place in a fully operating park, and it looks great

Pretty much everything that Chris Pratt said in the trailer was lol

No T-Rex, the fuck

The new dinosaur is intriguing, but it's not a dinosaur, it never existed! Don't call it a dinosaur, doesn't sound right.

Wish I hadn't read about the shark being fed to the Mosasaurus in descriptions of the trailer from about a month ago, that was pretty cool

Bryce Dallas Howard actually looks good

Very interested in how they explain what was once portrayed as the most dangerous predator in the history of life to be running along side a dude on a motorcycle like they're bros.

Hearing the velociraptors again gave me goosebumps. Some of the coolest sound effects in all of cinema.

There's still a lot of rumored details and confirmed characters that this trailer does not touch on at all, way too soon to write this off as shit, ya goddamn buzz-kills. At this point, looks like a fun summer blockbuster action movie. If you expected anything beyond that from a 3rd sequel to a science fiction series from the 90's... not sure what the fuck you were thinking. All this movie needs is dinosaurs and an abundance of people for them to eat, looks like those bases are covered... don't listen to anything I say though, I'm a fanboy.

Edited by sweetness
  • Like 1

The budget for this film is a bit lower than the average CGI-fest: $150 million vs $160 million for Godzilla, $175 million for GOTG, $200+ million for The Amazing Spider-Man 2, some going above that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_films

That makes me think that the CGI for this film will not be MIND-BLOWING, but I hope things like the Mosasaurus improve a bit in six months time, its tongue in particular looked like something out of a video game. The Apatosauruses looked good, better than the Brachiosauruses in the original. Amazing to think the original only cost $63 million back in '93 (Terminator 2 was the first film to cross the $100 million budget barrier just a couple of years before that).

Vraptor-scale.png

They did end up naming a dromaeosaurid that was about the size of the 'raptors in Jurassic Park while the original film was being made:

72d3febe_Dromie_scale.png

The type species (and only known species of Utahraptor), Utahraptor ostrommaysorum, was named by Kirkland, Gaston, and Burge in 1993 for the American paleontologist John Ostrom from Yale University's Peabody Museum of Natural History, and Chris Mays ofDinamation International. Originally, in the specific name, the singular genitive ostrommaysi was used but, in 2000, this was emended byGeorge Olshevsky to the plural.[10] Earlier, it had been intended to name the species "Utahraptor spielbergi", after film director Steven Spielberg, in exchange for funding palaeontological research, but no agreement could be reached on the amount of financial assistance.