Jurassic World [SPOILERS]

sweetness

lol dinosaurs

Dinosaurs are awesome.

I got to meet Jack Horner after a Q&A he did at the Natural History Museum in London around the release of The Lost World. Remember thinking he was so cool when I was a kid, I'd wanted to be a palaeontologist since I was 5.

Now he's married to someone younger than me:

jack-horner-married.jpg

What a boss.

Chicks dig palaeontology.

lol dinosaurs

Dinosaurs are awesome.

I got to meet Jack Horner after a Q&A he did at the Natural History Museum in London around the release of The Lost World. Remember thinking he was so cool when I was a kid, I'd wanted to be a palaeontologist since I was 5.

Now he's married to someone younger than me:

jack-horner-married.jpg

What a boss.

Chicks dig palaeontology.

The dirty ole' goat.

Brachiosauri do not chew food and also, stand on their hind legs to eat foliage. Tyrannosaur did not run that fast, during the scene with the jeep; if T-Rex ran that fast its bones would break. The whole series is basically hokum.

Doesn't look terrible. Doesn't look great. Meh on the kids and Bryce Dallas Howard (shits me up the wall). I do SO wish it were possible to make one of these with a R rating. But I enjoyed 3, which was objectively pretty bad. So as long as some people get eaten by dinosaurs, I'm sure I'll enjoy this. I still can't believe they went ahead without Goldblum, though. :(

Edited by Angelica

FUCK OFF, IT'S A MOVIE AND FICTITIOUS. DINOSAURS ARE AWESOME REGARDLESS.

Then why include 'dinosaurs' - why use their names? Why not just make a film like Godzilla with fictitious monsters? You may as well get this stuff correct if you are going to pursue it.

Look, I love dinosaurs (both the 'real' dinosaurs and the JP versions of dinosaurs), but really, that's what you're nitpicking about? The original JP didn't do the "correct" stuff, so no need to change it now. Besides, JP raptors are cooler than the 'real' raptors. This article reminded me of you: http://gizmodo.com/dinosaur-nerds-are-already-mad-at-jurassic-world-1663425566

Bryce Dallas Howards eye-candyness is enough of a reason for me to go see this movie.

Another thing - the "dinosaurs" in JP are genetically engineered, so feathers or not, they still aren't 100% 'real'. So the complaints about not sticking to the science and making the dinosaurs like the 'real' thing are getting old and don't really stand. At least not to me. They're genetically engineered dinosaurs, so maybe the feathers aren't a possibility due to the way the dinosaurs are made with the frog DNA?

Also, the more I think about it, the more I kind of like the idea of the hybrid-dino. Yeah, they could have rehashed the first films idea or they could have just brought in another dinosaur i.e Spinosaurus in JP3, but that stuff as been done before. The idea is that people are getting "tired" of seeing the same dinosaurs for the last 10 years, so to market the park more they're making something new. Not just something that they've uncovered new DNA for, but something that is totally brand new that no one has ever seen in pictures or anything, so it creates even more of an "awe" factor. It also creates more of a "horror" aspect since it's something they haven't been able to study long enough, if not at all, to really know how it eats, hunts, works, etc. So honestly, I like the idea. I'm excited.

I do SO wish it were possible to make one of these with a R rating.

Same. When they kept cancelling scripts over the last 10 years I figured they'd just end up re-booting the franchise with an R rating and stick closer to Crichton's narrative, always thought that woulda been cool.... Still wouldn't mind seeing that at some point.

Another thing - the "dinosaurs" in JP are genetically engineered, so feathers or not, they still aren't 100% 'real'. So the complaints about not sticking to the science and making the dinosaurs like the 'real' thing are getting old and don't really stand. At least not to me. They're genetically engineered dinosaurs, so maybe the feathers aren't a possibility due to the way the dinosaurs are made with the frog DNA?

Yup, definitely an important point the paleo-nerds seem to completely overlook. It's pretty clear in the story; these are not real dinosaurs, they're genetically engineered theme park attractions. Jurassic Park the novel is more about the ethics of genetic engineering and capitalism in modern science than anything else. The dinosaurs are the vehicle, because dinosaurs are fucking cool.

• Like 1

So the scientists at the park thought, ''I will make Brachiosaurus chew her food, and T-Rex, run 60mph without shattering her fragile bone structure''? If you genetically alter something as important as bone density you are actually not creating a living copy but a fictitious monster with only the flimsiest simularity. Why then did Spielberg not call it 'Monsters Park'?

Do not buy it, sorry.

The first novel is fucking brilliant, just the right balance of action, description, characters and research dumps, it's frankly perfect for what it is. The film is maybe 50% accurate, a nice and understandable interpretation of the source material, the second book is mediocre and the second film is about 25% of a faithful interpretation but superior to the novel, ofc there is no 3rd novel or 4th. I have hope the 4th film is better, it's bound to be quite frankly, the 3rd was a weak rehash and had the dumb premise of kid missing, kid found, escape the fucking dinos. This is a logical and reasonable premise but I have doubts it'll do anything too interesting, then again, Jurassic Park FOUR what can you hope that it'll do, it has no chance in hell of reinventing or supplanting the first film and that's no crime.

So the scientists at the park thought, ''I will make Brachiosaurus chew her food, and T-Rex, run 60mph without shattering her fragile bone structure''? If you genetically alter something as important as bone density you are actually not creating a living copy but a fictitious monster with only the flimsiest simularity. Why then did Spielberg not call it 'Monsters Park'?

Do not buy it, sorry.

They clocked the T-Rex at 32mph, get it right :rolleyes:

http://www.jurassicworld.com/dinosaurs/tyrannosaurus-rex/

2u4j6tv.png

This is the image for the T-Rex page on the Jurassic World website. Notice the scars on her neck? Seems like the same specimen from the original Jurassic Park has made it into Jurassic World, pretty cool if this is the case.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Jurassic-World-Probably-Bringing-Back-Unexpected-Main-Character-68436.html

• Like 3