Godzilla (2014)

As a Godzilla fan I got exactly what I always wanted, a real American Godzilla movie. I understand some of the complaints, but quite frankly I don't give a damn, this IS a Godzilla movie. Was Godzilla shown like crazy in the original? No. Same goes for Godzilla 1984 (he is barely even seen in that film until the end). It's just one of those things you sort of expect from these movies. But as far as story goes, I really like what they did with him. Sure I like Godzilla as the bad guy, but this works out even better, because now it makes sense why he fights other monsters. He is Earth's Alpha Preditor, so I can't wait to see who comes down the pipe next. King Ghidorah would be fucking epic, so would Gigan. The possibilities are endless!!!!

It is absolutly one of (if not the) best Godzilla movies ever made, that's all I could ever hope for. Anyone that watched any of the TOHO classics should appreciate this film. If you didn't watch or like any of the old movies, than gtfo, because this is what the big G is all about.

^^^^^^^^This X1000

The film was definitely based off of some of the classics....and it worked really well.

On another note, I think this movie will easily gross over $500 Million worldwide.....with the potential to eventually get close to a billion. It's a blockbuster on steroids.

• Like 2

I don't really see people hating on the film or complaining about it, yeah, other than the usual holier-than-thou personas.

The film was great but it could have been better. It has its flaws. In all honesty, I don't think it needed some of the cliche, cheesy stereotypes that portrayed some of the characters.

I don't really see people hating on the film or complaining about it, yeah, other than the usual holier-than-thou personas.

The film was great but it could have been better. It has its flaws. In all honesty, I don't think it needed some of the cliche, cheesy stereotypes that portrayed some of the characters.

I think a lot of that is reminiscent of some of the classic Godzilla films...it's a form of (semi-serious) comic relief....you see that (much more of it, actually) in every Godzilla film (other than the 98....which used more traditional comic relief).

I thought this Godzilla walked the line perfectly....and was able to take itself seriously enough, in order to continuously build tension...even in its lighter moments....it was very cleverly done.

Well there were going to be easter eggs hidden, there is also a Golden Chinese Dragon head as a Ghidorah easter egg somewhere apparently.

The Mothra twins are also in the movie. They appear in a building that has been destroyed.

I've also read that Rodan and possibly Gigan are easter egged into the movie as well.

There seemed to be something in cocoon in the center of the power plant....I couldn't make it out though..... :shrugs:

Very well could be. I've read that there are numerous parts/bits in the movie that pay homage to the earlier Gojira movies. I like when that happens.

I imagine it'll drop significantly over the coming weeks. These predictions of a billion dollar pull are a bit much.

This movie's main draw was the trailer hype, and now that it's getting average reviews and a lot of people are complaining about the same things, the box office numbers will fall pretty quick.

People who clap in movie theaters are idiots. That is all.

If you don't feel like applauding when Godzilla lays the atomic breath smackdown then you are dead inside.

That was exactly what I wanted to say but I didn't want to spoil that bit for anybody. That was pretty fucking awesome! I'm just pissed that I couldn't find a 2D IMAX showing. I've yet to see a single film after Avatar where 3D did anything more than increase the ticket price and give me a fuckin' headache! <_<

I imagine it'll drop significantly over the coming weeks. These predictions of a billion dollar pull are a bit much.

This movie's main draw was the trailer hype, and now that it's getting average reviews and a lot of people are complaining about the same things, the box office numbers will fall pretty quick.

I'm thinking it will get over $500 mil....with the potential to eventually get close to a billion....or somewhere in between.

If you don't feel like applauding when Godzilla lays the atomic breath smackdown then you are dead inside.

That was exactly what I wanted to say but I didn't want to spoil that bit for anybody. That was pretty fucking awesome! I'm just pissed that I couldn't find a 2D IMAX showing. I've yet to see a single film after Avatar where 3D did anything more than increase the ticket price and give me a fuckin' headache! <_<

I thought the 3D was pretty good for this one. I thought the 3D was great for Amazing Spider-Man 2. It was a waste of money for Man of Steel (well that whole film was, too), but yeah, it was amazing for Avatar. I saw Avatar 3 times in the cinema, because I knew I would never watch it again. I think I'll watch Godzilla on home video but I know I have to see it a 2nd time in IMAX. I guess if it was available I might see it in 2D IMAX on the 2nd go just so the film's not so dark (and a bit cheaper).

I thought the 3D was pretty good for this one. I thought the 3D was great for Amazing Spider-Man 2. It was a waste of money for Man of Steel (well that whole film was, too), but yeah, it was amazing for Avatar. I saw Avatar 3 times in the cinema, because I knew I would never watch it again. I think I'll watch Godzilla on home video but I know I have to see it a 2nd time in IMAX. I guess if it was available I might see it in 2D IMAX on the 2nd go just so the film's not so dark (and a bit cheaper).
I thought the 3D was shit. I honestly forgot it was it 3D, it was so dull.

With D-Box, do the seats move, or do they just vibrate a bit?

They move and you can control the vibration from low to high. When the helicopters were flying like crazy, the seats were following through. At some points, it caught me off guard. :lol: That was cool.

Edited by Nosaj Thing
  • Like 1

For all you naysayers.....it already hit close to $200 million worldwide....in its first 3 days....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/05/18/box-office-godzilla-scores-monstrous-93m-weekend/

Well everyone pretty much predicted that before it even came out. :shrugs:

The rating on rotten tomatoes dropped from 89 to 72 in the first 3 days as well.

I think people are just pointing out what they see as flaws and where it could have been better, most everyone said they had fun regardless of what they saw as shortcomings.

It has a very strong opening. Will easily make $600 million.

I loved the part with the kid watching Godzilla fight on TV. A nod to those of us watching the old movies on TV. Also, the final battle was great. But they kept switching to the Marines. I guess it really was a nod to the old films where Godzilla is only there for 5 minutes.

• Like 2

I felt this film, was Warner/Legendary pitching the idea of an American take on the Japanese Godzilla instead of a new American Godzilla which failed. Almost like they wanted us to approve of it before they make another movie.

Like Batman Begins.

• Like 2

What would everyone like to see done differently, or improved on, in the second movie?

They've already done the mystery/suspense thing, so more action I guess. But as much as I love this movie I don't really see the point of a sequel. I guess they could do Monster Island and have Godzilla fight a bunch of monsters, or they could go a step further and rip off Jurassic Park (more) and have some crazy billionaire try and build a kaiju zoo and have Godzilla save the day (again).

Who are the baddies du jour? Are Russians villainous again? You could have a Russian-built Mechagodzilla. Or it turns out that's what the Iranians have been building all this time.