Godzilla (2014)

The King Kong remake showed us that if you throw too many CGI creatures on the screen it can get really boring really fast. King Kong vs. 3 V-Rexes was tiresome for what was supposed to be an epic fight. And that stampede... <shudder>

Iranians don't have that kind of technology according to Michael Bay.

The entire national budget has been spent on Mechagodzilla, leaving the rest of Iran with Soviet-era tech.

• Like 1

I would like to see better human elements, more Godzilla, and some cool new monsters alongside old classics.

I would defiantly be down to see new ones fight with/ against Anguirus, Mothra, King Ghidora, Gigan, etc would be great as I really liked MUTO 1 and 2

Just came back from a late showing with my cousin. It's by no mean's a bad film it's just disappointing. Oh, and when Godzilla fell and looked into the camera I busted out laughing. That felt like some sappy Lethal Weapon shit.

I'd love for the second one to be a Dark Knight-esque leap in quality, I have absolutely no idea how you would achieve that though... I have a feeling Edwards really tried his ass off with the human element in this one and has received criticism for it being lacklustre and for not focussing more on the monsters (although I've seen it, I'll probably have to watch it in English before I can make an honest assessment of the human storyline). In any sequel, there's therefore gonna be pressure to focus more on the monster combat, but if he does that then it's just being opened up to criticisms of being a vacuous Michael Bay-esque CGI orgy of violence. How do you achieve the balance of a compelling storyline with the correct amount of awesome action? From whence would the new adversaries arrive? In the old (Showa series in particular) series' space was a popular origin point for enemy combatants (including Godzilla's transition from menace to hero in the first Ghidorah film), but that's hardly Oscar-bait, is it? It'll be interesting to see...

The King Kong remake showed us that if you throw too many CGI creatures on the screen it can get really boring really fast. King Kong vs. 3 V-Rexes was tiresome for what was supposed to be an epic fight.

Wash your mouth out boyo! That TRex smackdown was awesome!

• Like 1

The King Kong remake showed us that if you throw too many CGI creatures on the screen it can get really boring really fast. King Kong vs. 3 V-Rexes was tiresome for what was supposed to be an epic fight.

Yeah, it was the rest of the film that was boring as shit.

I thought the scenes on the boat and in New York were better than anything on Skull Island. The Skull Island scenes dragged on and on. The only action scene I really dug was the NY Empire State scene (music wa great in that scene).

I thought the scenes on the boat and in New York were better than anything on Skull Island. The Skull Island scenes dragged on and on. The only action scene I really dug was the NY Empire State scene (music wa great in that scene).

Maybe I just made a mistake seeing it twice in a week at the cinema but it just dragged for me, by the time we got off the island and back into NY I just couldn't wait for it to be over.

I've only seen King Kong the one time. I enjoyed it but I'm not watching a 3-hour film about a big ape again.

I'd like to see a 2-hour edit. Half an hour on the boat, an hour on Skull Island, half an hour in NY.

What would everyone like to see done differently, or improved on, in the second movie?

They've already done the mystery/suspense thing, so more action I guess. But as much as I love this movie I don't really see the point of a sequel. I guess they could do Monster Island and have Godzilla fight a bunch of monsters, or they could go a step further and rip off Jurassic Park (more) and have some crazy billionaire try and build a kaiju zoo and have Godzilla save the day (again).

Who are the baddies du jour? Are Russians villainous again? You could have a Russian-built Mechagodzilla. Or it turns out that's what the Iranians have been building all this time.

Aliens. The sequel needs aliens.

Or North Koreans.

I loved King Kong 05 as a teen. Saw it in theaters 3 times.

This doesn't suprise me. Most things that are good you bash, most things that are trash you enjoy.
King Kong was a great movie.
  • Like 1

I loved King Kong 05 as a teen. Saw it in theaters 3 times.

This doesn't suprise me. Most things that are good you bash, most things that are trash you enjoy.

:lol: I agree with that but I'll agree with Bacardi on this one. I really liked it when it came out, and still do although it has been a long time since I watched it. At the same time, it is defiantly over long and could use some good editing. I'd bet a good chunk of the film is the broad and kong staring into each others' eyes! And did we really need that bug scene?

when Godzilla fell and looked into the camera I busted out laughing. That felt like some sappy Lethal Weapon shit.

The guy sitting in front of me said 'he looks like he's going to cry". :lol:

That was one of the moments that felt like Spielberg cheese.

• Like 1