Godzilla (2014)

So I watched this beast last night. Great performance overall, I didn't like the unnecessary, cheesy lines and/or cheesy stereotypes. Really busy guy works all day at his job, doesn't remember his birthday. As far as the CGI, top-notch. I just have to ask, am I the only want who would have loved to see more scenes with Godzilla fighting both MUTOs? They showed the leg and the tail of Godzilla for almost the entire movie. The sound was incredible, that was 5 stars.

3D was OK, the movie wasn't dark which was awesome. To summarize, fun movie. 8/10 and that's saying much.

• Like 1

So I watched this beast last night. Great performance overall, I didn't like the unnecessary, cheesy lines and/or cheesy stereotypes. Really busy guy works all day at his job, doesn't remember his birthday. As far as the CGI, top-notch. I just have to ask, am I the only want who would have loved to see more scenes with Godzilla fighting both MUTOs? They showed the leg and the tail of Godzilla for almost the entire movie. The sound was incredible, that was 5 stars.

3D was OK, the movie wasn't dark which was awesome. To summarize, fun movie. 8/10 and that's saying much.

I thought the 3D was awful honestly - I just saw it in IMAX and forgot it was in 3D. Agreed on the sound though, top notch and made the film well worth seeing in IMAX.

I enjoyed it. I don't think it quite met my expectations, but the bar was set very high. I agree with most of what's been said here - could've used more Godzilla, MUTOs were worthy opponents, some cheesy lines (But would it really be a Godzilla film without that?!?). As expected, Bryan Cranston did the best job with his role IMO. I'll definitely still pick it up when it comes out on Blu Ray.

Also, did anyone notice that when Joe and Ford went back to their house in the quarantine zone, the aquarium had a piece of tape on it that said "Mothra"? :lol:

Just got back...watched it in 3-D.

Best Godzilla movie ever, imo.

I wasn't involved in this thread that much because I didn't want to get too pumped and set my expectations too high...and I think it worked....because I thought the movie was awesome. It was on a completely different level from the 98 Godzilla. The modern day special effects really set it apart from the original films of the 50's-70's. I actually screamed out, "YEAH!" twice in the theater...and it's been close to 20 years since I did that....so definitely 2 thumbs up in my book.

Really liked how they played homage to the "King of the Monsters" at the end.

Easily a 9/10

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

I wasn't involved in this thread that much because I didn't want to get too pumped and set my expectations too high...and I think it worked....because I thought the movie was awesome. It was on a completely different level from the 98 Godzilla....and with the modern day special effects, etc....sets it apart from the original films of the 50's-70's. I actually screamed out, "YEAH!" twice in the theater...and it's been close to 20 years since I did that....so definitely 2 thumbs up in my book.

Easily a 8.5/10 (Would be a 9/10 but I know when I calm down a bit, it'll go back to 8.5/10 so I'll leave it there...lol)

First unveiling in Honolulu and the atomic breath smackdown by any chance?
Edited by Graeme
  • Like 2

I wasn't involved in this thread that much because I didn't want to get too pumped and set my expectations too high...and I think it worked....because I thought the movie was awesome. It was on a completely different level from the 98 Godzilla....and with the modern day special effects, etc....sets it apart from the original films of the 50's-70's. I actually screamed out, "YEAH!" twice in the theater...and it's been close to 20 years since I did that....so definitely 2 thumbs up in my book.

Easily a 8.5/10 (Would be a 9/10 but I know when I calm down a bit, it'll go back to 8.5/10 so I'll leave it there...lol)

[spoiler]First unveiling in Honolulu and the atomic breath smackdown by any chance?

:lol:

Edited by Kasanova King

I thought the first half played out like a Pacific Rim sequel that was abandoned half way through.

...So that means you didn't like it I'm guessing?

I had fun, it was good.

I just let myself get too sucked into the hype machine.

It didn't deliver the knockout punch I was expecting.

It was a good piece of Hollywood eye candy.

. I just have to ask, am I the only want who would have loved to see more scenes with Godzilla fighting both MUTOs?

I have a feeling there were a TON of scenes cut out of this movie...especially the first MUTO fight....( they showed flashes of it on TV later)....I wouldn't doubt that the Blu-Ray version will have some sort of extended/director's cut.

Edited by Kasanova King

Well there were going to be easter eggs hidden, there is also a Golden Chinese Dragon head as a Ghidorah easter egg somewhere apparently.

The Mothra twins are also in the movie. They appear in a building that has been destroyed.

I've also read that Rodan and possibly Gigan are easter egged into the movie as well.

Well there were going to be easter eggs hidden, there is also a Golden Chinese Dragon head as a Ghidorah easter egg somewhere apparently.

The Mothra twins are also in the movie. They appear in a building that has been destroyed.

I've also read that Rodan and possibly Gigan are easter egged into the movie as well.

There seemed to be something in cocoon in the center of the power plant....I couldn't make it out though..... :shrugs:

I thought the first half played out like a Pacific Rim sequel that was abandoned half way through.

...So that means you didn't like it I'm guessing?

I had fun, it was good.

I just let myself get too sucked into the hype machine.

It didn't deliver the knockout punch I was expecting.

It was a good piece of Hollywood eye candy.

Kind of how I feel as well I guess. I mean I really enjoyed it and will definitely buy it on Blu Ray, but to me it's a textbook example of expectations being set so high that they can't possibly be met. doesn't diminish the product as it is, but still a bit underwhelming.

Call me a contrarian, but I prefer the '98 version. Yes, this is an objectively better film, but it's also entirely humorless and devoid of characterization. Even lame humor and goofball attempts at characterization make this kind of thing more effective for me. And FFS can we stop trying to make Aaron Taylor-Johnson a thing, it is NEVER going to happen.

No shade can be thrown at the monsters though, especially the big guy.

• Like 3

The hype was justified.

My only complaint is that the trailers were misleading. They played it up to be some kind of dark, apocalyptic movie with Godzilla as the main antagonist. Instead we got an (awesome) action romp with two worthy monsters as antagonists and Godzilla as the hero.

The scene where he

kills the second monster
may just be the hardest I've ever squee'd at a movie.

Oh, one more con. I was really hoping they fit in the classic Ikufube theme somewhere, even the credits. So many opportunities and they never did. :(

I'm sitting next to an Asian kid on the bus right now on the way home. I'm scared that a MUTO is going to appear and destroy Edmonton.

Edited by bacardimayne
  • Like 2

I think it is neat there are so many opinions on the film. I get the complaints, but it is the Godzilla movie I always wanted. An apocalyptic, dark as hell, doomy Godzilla movie would have been cool, but I do always like seeing him as a "hero" and coming out on top. To me, Godzilla is someone I always want to root for and I was defiantly rooting for him last night!

I know they will show him more in the next film and I can't wait to see new (and possible old) kaijus in the future. I thought MUTO(s) was awesome

• Like 1

The hype was justified.

My only complaint is that the trailers were misleading. They played it up to be some kind of dark, apocalyptic movie with Godzilla as the main antagonist. Instead we got an (awesome) action romp with two worthy monsters as antagonists and Godzilla as the hero.

True but in a day and age where we get so many trailers for films that there are hardly any surprises when we see the film I'll let it slide. I've seen people complain that The Amazing Spiderman and X-Men: Days of Future Past trailers showed off too much and then complain about the Godzilla trailers for being misleading and not showing everything and it amuses me.

• Like 1

I thought it was fucking perfect. I laughed with glee at so many points, and a couple of points I briefly clapped (probably same points as Kasanova and Graeme mentioned). Me and a mate saw it in IMAX in London, we couldn't find fault with it. Both half-jokingly said we should just watch it again straight after.

Movie hasn't had me this pumped in years. Love, love, loved it.

• Like 2

I thought it was fucking perfect. I laughed with glee at so many points, and a couple of points I briefly clapped (probably same points as Kasanova and Graeme mentioned). Me and a mate saw it in IMAX in London, we couldn't find fault with it. Both half-jokingly said we should just watch it again straight after.

Movie hasn't had me this pumped in years. Love, love, loved it.

Pretty much feel the same way....it really was a near perfect Godzilla film. :thumbsup: