Godzilla (2014)

So I watched this beast last night. Great performance overall, I didn't like the unnecessary, cheesy lines and/or cheesy stereotypes. Really busy guy works all day at his job, doesn't remember his birthday. As far as the CGI, top-notch. I just have to ask, am I the only want who would have loved to see more scenes with Godzilla fighting both MUTOs? They showed the leg and the tail of Godzilla for almost the entire movie. The sound was incredible, that was 5 stars.

3D was OK, the movie wasn't dark which was awesome. To summarize, fun movie. 8/10 and that's saying much.

How was the D-Box? I've never seen a movie in D-Box but there's one cinema in London which has one, considering checking it out.

Felt it sucked. The action never had any build up and the acting was so stiff except Cranston, but he isn't even in the movie for that long. Seriously, I heard comparisons to Jaws and this ain't no Jaws.

Yeah, I really really wanted to like this movie but meh... couldn't get into it. The worst part for me was the presentation of Godzilla and the MUTOs was so cool, but they felt like supporting roles second to a very crappy human drama that was payed way too much attention for a monster movie.

"Lets toon in to to Ford's wife again, lets see what she's doing. Welp, she's still scared, and there's still a monster in the background. Does not seem to be in any real danger at all though... just kinda there... lookin scared... oh cool everybody is reunited, great"

Real gripping development there...

Same thing with the asian boy on the train who gets separated from his family, only to randomly run into them amidst the crowd the next morning... like, aw, thats nice... what was the point of that? Despite giant monsters completely destroying entire cities there was really no sense of loss or consequence in this movie whatsoever. The only scene that came close was when Cranston's character watched his wife through the window of that blast door in the power plant.

Maybe my expectations were too high but I thought this was pretty fucking bad, dare I say this was even worse than the Broderick Godzilla. At least the trailers were exciting to follow.

• Like 1

Booked IMAX tickets again for next Sunday, this time seeing it with my uncle.

Seen a lot of people online complain about lack of action, to me I saw it as more of a slow-build, Jurassic Park-type film; Jurassic Park had pretty little dino-action compared to the sequels, but was far superior to them. I love all the cut-aways in this one, really builds up tension for the final fight.

I can see why people are criticising the lack of scenes with some of the human characters, and from what I've heard a lot was cut out (including Akira Takarada: http://www.businessinsider.com/godzilla-cut-akira-takarada-cameo-2014-5 ), so I guess a lot of that will make it onto the lolDVD/Blu-Ray. I can see why they'd want to cut it out for a theatrical release where audiences will have less patience and will want to get to the action, and I thought the actors sold what scenes they did have well. I'd be happy to see more character scenes on a home video version where I can pause it and take a piss break or cook something.

• Like 2

Felt it sucked. The action never had any build up and the acting was so stiff except Cranston, but he isn't even in the movie for that long. Seriously, I heard comparisons to Jaws and this ain't no Jaws.

Yeah, I really really wanted to like this movie but meh... couldn't get into it. The worst part for me was the presentation of Godzilla and the MUTOs was so cool, but they felt like supporting roles second to a very crappy human drama that was payed way too much attention for a monster movie.

"Lets toon in to to Ford's wife again, lets see what she's doing. Welp, she's still scared, and there's still a monster in the background. Does not seem to be in any real danger at all though... just kinda there... lookin scared... oh cool everybody is reunited, great"

Real gripping development there...

Same thing with the asian boy on the train who gets separated from his family, only to randomly run into them amidst the crowd the next morning... like, aw, thats nice... what was the point of that? Despite giant monsters completely destroying entire cities there was really no sense of loss or consequence in this movie whatsoever. The only scene that came close was when Cranston's character watched his wife through the window of that blast door in the power plant.

Maybe my expectations were too high but I thought this was pretty fucking bad, dare I say this was even worse than the Broderick Godzilla. At least the trailers were exciting to follow.

I can definitely get on board with everything you said in your spoiler tag.

Seen a lot of people online complain about lack of action, to me I saw it as more of a slow-build, Jurassic Park-type film; Jurassic Park had pretty little dino-action compared to the sequels, but was far superior to them. I love all the cut-aways in this one, really builds up tension for the final fight.

I can see why people are criticising the lack of scenes with some of the human characters, and from what I've heard a lot was cut out (including Akira Takarada: http://www.businessinsider.com/godzilla-cut-akira-takarada-cameo-2014-5 ), so I guess a lot of that will make it onto the lolDVD/Blu-Ray. I can see why they'd want to cut it out for a theatrical release where audiences will have less patience and will want to get to the action, and I thought the actors sold what scenes they did have well. I'd be happy to see more character scenes on a home video version where I can pause it and take a piss break or cook something.

:lol:

Thing is Jurassic Park had an interesting, original story carried by dynamic characters to build the action scenes around. Godzilla felt more like it had this handful of great action, and they built this drawn out half assed story featuring half assed characters around it to flesh it out for some down time between action scenes. It all just felt like a poor excuse for giant monsters to fight in San Fransisco more than an actual story, which would be TOTALLY FINE if it didn't focus so much on the shitty characters, just let the monsters have their screen time. That's why Pacific Rim worked.

I dunno, I thought Monsters sucked pretty bad too. Although I thought the idea was interesting and I appreciate how he tried to make it somewhat believable it was just not a very good movie at all, he can put together a decent concept but he can't create good characters for shit. Definitely not sold on Gareth Edwards as a filmmaker.

This is the biggest challenge with science fiction movies that beg to be taken seriously. They have to be believable, they have to have good characters, and then you can have your "sparse dramatic built-up action" scenes. Don't want to put any effort in characters? Then make campy action packed sci-fi movies that don't take themselves seriously at all.

There were a few spots where I thought "did they hand this movie over to Spielberg?"

That can only be a compliment, considering he's one of my favorite directors ever... :P

Exactly what I was thinking as I was watching the film. I half-expected them to find amber in the mine in the opening scene.

I remember really liking the first half of War of the Worlds when I saw it in the cinema, thought it was incredibly atmospheric. Then it lulled a bit in the second half, and then the ending was awful. I haven't seen it since.

I kept repeating to myself "Please don't have the final battle at night! Please don't have the final battle at night!"

:(

I thought it was done well, atmospheric but you could still see what was going on, like the T-Rex car scene in Jurassic Park. I loved seeing the tail whip around in the dust and debris.

The part where the tail starts to light up through the smog... I clapped and cheered.

• Like 1

My guess is the sequel will have day-time battles and all sorts of new MUTOs, since they can't do the suspense and mystery thing again. They'll have the coin to drop on rights to more of the Toho kaiju, though I don't know how many of them would translate to this series. Ghidorah would be awesome (just pass it off as another ancient beast) but I think this film universe is a bit too serious to have a Mechagodzilla.

Can't see it being any good, though.

Fuck it, they can make a whole bunch of shitty Transformers films, I'd be happy with a half-decent Destroy All Monsters schtick. Transformers 2 was one of the worst films I've ever seen, if I wasn't with friends I would have walked out during the 40-minute long monotonous Egypt action scene. And yet they made sequels (which I refuse to see).

. And FFS can we stop trying to make Aaron Taylor-Johnson a thing, it is NEVER going to happen.

What's the deal with this guy? Does his agent have some blackmail against Hollywood executives?

He seems like an ultra-douchebag based on interviews I've seen/read (there was one from Men's Fitness I believe a month or two ago and you could tell that the writer, though trying to remain objective, wasn't even a fan of his attitude, as he took time to mention Taylor-Johnson's 'immature' habit of excessively using cuss words during the interview). He seems to always have his head stuck up his ass and usually I totally don't care about an actor's personal life but, for me, I sense that douchey vibe in every performance of his I've seen. It arguably worked to a degree when he played Lennon because, let's face it, Lennon was kind of a cocky guy, but man, other than that one film, I can't really stand any of his other performances. Beyond that, they've almost all been commercial disappointments (until now, of course) so it's a wonder why he got cast in this and Avengers.

Cranston being in this makes up for Johnson's casting but the fact that he's in this movie actually knocked it down a peg for me tbh.

As a Godzilla fan I got exactly what I always wanted, a real American Godzilla movie. I understand some of the complaints, but quite frankly I don't give a damn, this IS a Godzilla movie. Was Godzilla shown like crazy in the original? No. Same goes for Godzilla 1984 (he is barely even seen in that film until the end). It's just one of those things you sort of expect from these movies. But as far as story goes, I really like what they did with him. Sure I like Godzilla as the bad guy, but this works out even better, because now it makes sense why he fights other monsters. He is Earth's Alpha Preditor, so I can't wait to see who comes down the pipe next. King Ghidorah would be fucking epic, so would Gigan. The possibilities are endless!!!!

It is absolutly one of (if not the) best Godzilla movies ever made, that's all I could ever hope for. Anyone that watched any of the TOHO classics should appreciate this film. If you didn't watch or like any of the old movies, than gtfo, because this is what the big G is all about.

• Like 1

. And FFS can we stop trying to make Aaron Taylor-Johnson a thing, it is NEVER going to happen.

What's the deal with this guy? Does his agent have some blackmail against Hollywood executives?

He seems like an ultra-douchebag based on interviews I've seen/read (there was one from Men's Fitness I believe a month or two ago and you could tell that the writer, though trying to remain objective, wasn't even a fan of his attitude, as he took time to mention Taylor-Johnson's 'immature' habit of excessively using cuss words during the interview). He seems to always have his head stuck up his ass and usually I totally don't care about an actor's personal life but, for me, I sense that douchey vibe in every performance of his I've seen. It arguably worked to a degree when he played Lennon because, let's face it, Lennon was kind of a cocky guy, but man, other than that one film, I can't really stand any of his other performances. Beyond that, they've almost all been commercial disappointments (until now, of course) so it's a wonder why he got cast in this and Avengers.

Cranston being in this makes up for Johnson's casting but the fact that he's in this movie actually knocked it down a peg for me tbh.

I loved Nowhere Boy, but don't really know him from anything else. I hope he is good in The Avengers

As a Godzilla fan I got exactly what I always wanted, a real American Godzilla movie. I understand some of the complaints, but quite frankly I don't give a damn, this IS a Godzilla movie. Was Godzilla shown like crazy in the original? No. Same goes for Godzilla 1984 (he is barely even seen in that film until the end). It's just one of those things you sort of expect from these movies. But as far as story goes, I really like what they did with him. Sure I like Godzilla as the bad guy, but this works out even better, because now it makes sense why he fights other monsters. He is Earth's Alpha Preditor, so I can't wait to see who comes down the pipe next. King Ghidorah would be fucking epic, so would Gigan. The possibilities are endless!!!!

It is absolutly one of (if not the) best Godzilla movies ever made, that's all I could ever hope for. Anyone that watched any of the TOHO classics should appreciate this film. If you didn't watch or like any of the old movies, than gtfo, because this is what the big G is all about.

Fuck yeah, as a fan of the Showa series this movie was just so amazing

@Sweetness,

By reading your responses I can tell you never really watched any of the old Godzilla films and probably grew up on 1998 film. Which I'm not judging you, but come on really??? If you have ever seen the original (American or Japanese), Godzilla 1985, Godzilla vs Biolante, and others you would know that (your complaints) are EXACTLY how Godzilla movies have always been. But this time they were done by American actors that actually spoke English. Plus the actors did excelent jobs.

I used to sit through Godzilla 1985 as a kid, waiting for Godzilla to show up. Being bored out of my mind going through all the Doctor, scientist, goverment type scenes. But it was always worth it when the BIG G showed up in the end. It made the whole wait worth while. I guess I just sort of expected this, especially given that it's the first one in this series.

The scene where Godzilla comes out of the water in Hawaii was fucking epic. Best Godzilla exiting water scene ever. (And thats 60 years of Godzilla movies folks).

@ZosoRose,

Right on!!! I'm actually more of a Heisei man myself, but I have a lot of love and appreciation for the Showa era. I was a little suprised that they were making him the good guy, but I'm actually happy about it now. As I said before it makes the whole idea of VS movies a lot more plausable given this story. Bring on King Ghidorah, Rodan, Gigan, hell even King Ceasar would be cool. LOL.

BTW if they bring on King Ghidorah I will shit myself. As of right now my all time favortie Godzilla scene is from Godzilla vs King Ghidorah (1991) when Godzilla is standing in the city and King Ghidorah comes flying in for their final showdown. That scene still gives me goosebumps as a fan. But I do think a new one could beat it. :)

I loved Nowhere Boy, but don't really know him from anything else. I hope he is good in The Avengers

Fuck yeah, as a fan of the Showa series this movie was just so amazing

re: aaron taylor johnson

he was in the Kick-Ass movies, neither of which I liked much, but i particularly loathed the second one and something about his performance contributed to the uneasy, sleazy vibes I got while watching it. i hated his performance in the smug Savages, one of Oliver Stone's worst films and probably one of the worst films released this decade so far. i know i've seen him in a couple other films but that's about all i can recollect.

it was more-so his fucking arrogant celebrity shtick in interviews that turned me off him. for lack of a better word he just comes across as a massive douchenozzle. he's very lucky he got cast in avengers because it's a literal guaranteed box office hit no matter whether he's in it or not, but it can only do well for his career. it's a win-win.

He was okay in Nowhere Boy (at least as far as I can remember), but he's been a certified charisma free zone in everything else he's done, and he's never had a hit that he can take responsibility for. Yet he still gets put in every fucking thing. He's so bland in this, that it accentuates how shitty the screenplay is.

Edited by Angelica