Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

AL is another example of an album where 3-4 songs could have been left off.

Which songs?...and no matter which songs you name I guarantee you there are fans out there who will love the songs you pick to be left off..........what is the downside to too many songs?

Probably the last three songs.

The downside of having too many songs is that it interferes with the flow and can make listening to an otherwise good collection of songs tedious. Take Tori Amos for example--most of her 00s work is quite good, but one valid complaint is that her later-day albums are too long, often 80 minutes. One of the reasons why her new album Unrepentant Geraldines is so good and was so well received is that it's not quite as long--just under one hour. It's like when you watch the deleted scenes in a movie--sometimes they are cool, but you can understand why the director chose to cut them.

As for Slash's new song--eh, not bad, kind of what I was expecting, generic hard-rock. Still better than Vampire Weekend though.

Slash's best album, by far, IMO, is his 2010 s/t album.

Edited by RichardNixon

I dig Crazy Life, a lot, I would have preferred that to be on the main album as oppose to something like One Last Thrill.

See that is the point that IMHO a CD can never be long enough...give me everything that was recorded and there is a better chance I will find songs I like.............

I have to disagree, look at the latest Aerosmith album for example if that was 9 or 10 song long it would have done so much better

I'd rather quality than quantity with slash, I can barely get through AL without turning it off, Myles voice can get a bit much after a while

MFAD was a frustrating album to listen to--so much potential. Some of the songs are really, really good, but then it's bogged-down with those horrid ballads. Aerosmith should have gone the Van Halen/KISS route on their 2012 albums--they didn't care about cross-over hits or staying "relevant," they simply made kick-ass hard-rock albums for their core-fans.

Edited by RichardNixon
  • Like 1

I hate when an album is too long. I always think it's better to have 10 great songs than 15 good ones. Having a bunch of songs in a way lessens the quality of the great ones by association with the not so great ones, because songs on an album functions as a cohesive unit. Ex. UYI, wouldn't that have been amazing as a single album with the best songs picked?

What I consider the best songs you wouldn't agree with and vice versa. As example many people on here dislike Bad Rain, but Slash choose it as a single.

I like to listen to One Last Thrill and to Hard and Fast whereas most on here don't dig them.

There are endless more examples. The more songs on a CD the better

I dig Crazy Life, a lot, I would have preferred that to be on the main album as oppose to something like One Last Thrill.

See that is the point that IMHO a CD can never be long enough...give me everything that was recorded and there is a better chance I will find songs I like.............

I have to disagree, look at the latest Aerosmith album for example if that was 9 or 10 song long it would have done so much better

I'd rather quality than quantity with slash, I can barely get through AL without turning it off, Myles voice can get a bit much after a while

SFAD was a frustrating album to listen to--so much potential. Some of the songs are really, really good, but then it's bogged-down with those horrid ballads. Aerosmith should have gone the Van Halen/KISS route on their 2012 albums--they didn't care about cross-over hits or staying "relevant," they simply made kick-ass hard-rock albums for their core-fans.

Music From Another Dimension is one of my personal "most disappointing albums" ever. So much crap on it made even more frustrating because there were moments of greatness (Street Jesus, Out Go The Lights) proving they could have done something great.

In my opinion, no band fits the label of nostalgia act like Aerosmith. And it isn't even in a good way, they ignore a lot of their great 70s stuff and focus on mostly 90s-2000s stuff. Not that those are all bad, but its really lame. They cater to the casual crowd way more than the die hards and rock n roll crowd. I've seen them twice and they are still great, but they could be a lot better

What I consider the best songs you wouldn't agree with and vice versa. As example many people on here dislike Bad Rain, but Slash choose it as a single.

I like to listen to One Last Thrill and to Hard and Fast whereas most on here don't dig them.

There are endless more examples. The more songs on a CD the better

I just disagree, because generally the more songs on a CD you end up with more filler. The best songs were going on the CD no matter what, but then by adding more songs the odds are they're lesser quality and personally sort of cheapens the good ones and the album experience as a whole because you have sift through nonsense. A great number of the best rock records of all time only had 8-12 tracks. Just because there are 80 or so minutes on a CD to fill doesn't mean you should. I think that sort of restraint reflects better on the artist, and 10 tracks that kick ass through and through reflect better than an album with 10 great tracks dispersed through 16-17 tracks where the extra 6-7 range from okay-bad.

I officially love this fucking song.. I am not a fan of generic radio rock.. This song is not generic radio rock..

They played part of WOF on the radio on the way to work today.. They pick a bunch of new songs and play some of them. This was the only one that all 4 DJ's accross the board liked.

You people are so mean. So what if she's not hot/unattractive. Slash made a fan really happy, which is cool as shit. I like how music can bring people together like that. (no homo)

Edit: oops I think I got confused. Whatever.

Edited by Rovim

I like this song a lot more than when I first heard it -- I think it helped listening to it to speakers where I could really hear Todd diggin' in. Chorus is still the weakest part though haha :)

PS is that Todd on backup vocals or is it Myles?

Edited by Ant

I like this song a lot more than when I first heard it -- I think it helped listening to it to speakers where I could really hear Todd diggin' in. Chorus is still the weakest part though haha :)

PS is that Todd on backup vocals or is it Myles?

Todd. Got some pipes on him the fucker.