Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

So even Elvis his producer thinks the opening single is a weak hand....

Its my biggest issue with Slash, he can't seem to judge his own material properly. He loves the generic, off the cuff rockers while many of us seem to want the guy to try to be more innovative and push his massive skills much harder than banging out 4/4 rock n roll.

You might be right but then again we have not heard the rest of the album yet.....

Besides Slash would not be the only musician who wasn't able to judge their own music....Deep Purple did not want to release "Smoke on the Water" as their first single off of "Machine Head" and instead picked "Never Before" against the advice of the record label.....Thin Lizzy was not going to include "The Boys are Back in Town" on the Jailbreak album until the producer convinced them it was worthy...there are many examples where the Artist did not like songs which became hits for them........

Slash is my god but I really don't like this song! Argh.

Well... I like the first verse "Well they say..." and that verse riff. But otherwise it's probably the most generic riff rockin I've heard from Slash.

"Trip the wire".... shut the fuck up.... haha. That said, I wasn't crazy about "You're a Lie" either and found a lot to love on AL.

I still say Velvet Revolver is in another league. I also prefer Snakepit's southern rock to SMK+C, as they seem to frequently indulge in generic rock/metal cliches. I don't envy Myles having to write for so much material, though.

Edited by Ant

Its my biggest issue with Slash, he can't seem to judge his own material properly. He loves the generic, off the cuff rockers while many of us seem to want the guy to try to be more innovative and push his massive skills much harder than banging out 4/4 rock n roll.

You might be right but then again we have not heard the rest of the album yet.....

Besides Slash would not be the only musician who wasn't able to judge their own music....Deep Purple did not want to release "Smoke on the Water" as their first single off of "Machine Head" and instead picked "Never Before" against the advice of the record label.....Thin Lizzy was not going to include "The Boys are Back in Town" on the Jailbreak album until the producer convinced them it was worthy...there are many examples where the Artist did not like songs which became hits for them........

This I Love. :awesomeface:

One thing I'd like them to change is the drums. The whole kit doesn't sound very RnR. It sounds electronic a bit in a way (the kick, the hard panning of cymbals). Needs a little more ambience and a different kick drum (or a lack of triggers if thats what it is)

not a big fan of the song but i felt that way about 'you're a lie,' too. they're kind of generic radio-rawk tunes but agreeable enough, mildly catchy enough that they are accessible and will probably do well as rock singles, but i'm hoping there's more to the album than this. i ended up liking apocalyptic love but i was kinda hoping right out of the gate this one would be a bit more brash and ballsy.

• Like 1

Slash is IMPROVING as a player with every release. The song may be generic, but there is nothing generic about his playing.

This

Unfortunately Myles is really a generic songwriter

No, the GENERIC ROCK CROWD loves generic rock music...

That's why he picked up radio friendly singles

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he should be releasing some difficult to like, dark tune... I just find with Slash that tends to pick the most purile song on his albums to push first. I bet there are rockers on this album that are far better crafted. VR used to do the same thing.

The video is for 16 year old hormone flooded rocker boys; the lyrics are the same. That disappoints me because Slash as a player just keeps getting better.

I just think these forty-something year old men should be looking at Dave Grohl etc to see that you can act your age and still write ballsy, popular RNR.

• Like 1

Too many songs on the album--should be 1-12 songs, 45 minutes tops.

I don't see the problem? :shrugs: It's cool that everyone gets all 17 songs for £9.99 or $15 or whatever, as opposed to shelling out for a deluxe edition. It doesn't seem like a concept album where you have to listen to it all the way through, I'll hopefully end up with 3 or 4 songs I really like, and one of those may have been left off if it was limited to 12 (though the bonus tracks on the last 2 albums have been forgettable).

I don't see the problem? :shrugs: It's cool that everyone gets all 17 songs for £9.99 or $15 or whatever, as opposed to shelling out for a deluxe edition. It doesn't seem like a concept album where you have to listen to it all the way through, I'll hopefully end up with 3 or 4 songs I really like, and one of those may have been left off if it was limited to 12 (though the bonus tracks on the last 2 albums have been forgettable).

That's one of the problems of the CD-era--just because you can fill up 80 minutes on a disc doesn't mean that you should. The classics from the 60s-80s were shorter, as records can't hold as much space. If there was enough strong material there would be a double-album. Often times a CD will have some great songs and too much filler.

That's one of the problems of the CD-era--just because you can fill up 80 minutes on a disc doesn't mean that you should. The classics from the 60s-80s were shorter, as records can't hold as much space. If there was enough strong material there would be a double-album. Often times a CD will have some great songs and too much filler.

I don't disagree that there's too much filler on CDs these days, but seeing as the few people who buy CDs end up ripping them on iPods or phones or whatever, it doesn't seem to be that much of a dealbreaker as you can just delete the songs you don't like and pretend they don't exist.

Man, that video is cringeworthy. Is Slash trying to encroach on DJ's Hot Topic emo/goth/whatever target market? At least Slash is talented enough to get away with it.

Nice whooty, though.

I definitely don't agree as what some people consider filler others consider to be jems that are their favorites on the CD.

All you have to do is look at the Slash AL CD where one poster here wanted to have Ghost and Starlight taken off the original release and have the bonus tracks of the deluxe version added in their place....Ghost and Starlight are two of my favorite songs on AL while I think the bonus tracks are just o.k.............the more music the better IMHO as different people will favour different tracks.........

I dig Crazy Life, a lot, I would have preferred that to be on the main album as oppose to something like One Last Thrill.

See that is the point that IMHO a CD can never be long enough...give me everything that was recorded and there is a better chance I will find songs I like.............

• Like 1

AL is another example of an album where 3-4 songs could have been left off.

Which songs?...and no matter which songs you name I guarantee you there are fans out there who will love the songs you pick to be left off..........what is the downside to too many songs?

Not quite sure I understand how there can be to many songs on a CD. That has to be one of the most moronic statements/opinions I have read on this board, and there have been hundreds of them. Of course, that is only my opinion, and like I've said many times, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

I dig Crazy Life, a lot, I would have preferred that to be on the main album as oppose to something like One Last Thrill.

See that is the point that IMHO a CD can never be long enough...give me everything that was recorded and there is a better chance I will find songs I like.............

I have to disagree, look at the latest Aerosmith album for example if that was 9 or 10 song long it would have done so much better

I'd rather quality than quantity with slash, I can barely get through AL without turning it off, Myles voice can get a bit much after a while

• Like 1