Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

The opening riff is great. Very rock n roll'ish, very energetic. I was a bit disappointed when the verse kicked in cause it changed the whole vibe of the song. But somehow it grows on me and the chorus fits the song in a good way. Way better than hearing it solely.

Slash's solo is not outstanding but still very good, and after that the vibe of the song change again in something that makes me smile. A killer outro!

All that said, World On Fire is not a masterpeace but a great foretaste to the new album

Edited by Free Bird

Finally production and mix are done the right way! Last one was guitars all over the mix with poor vocals.
About the song, it's good. Not amazing, but vary good! At least more of a rocker then anything from CD. Wish Axl puts out an album in this vibe...

Finally production and mix are done the right way! Last one was guitars all over the mix with poor vocals.

About the song, it's good. Not amazing, but vary good! At least more of a rocker then anything from CD. Wish Axl puts out an album in this vibe...

Better, CD, Shacklers and IRS all rock way harder than this song, Imo. And are in a completely different league in terms of songwriting.

• Like 1

Better, CD, Shacklers and IRS all rock way harder than this song, Imo. And are in a completely different league in terms of songwriting.

A lot of Chinese Democracy was straight up metal (the first 3 songs in particular) but Slash still writesa lot of heavy stuff now too

It's not about what sounds more like SEPULTURA or something that's that heavy. It's about that Rn"R and Gn"R attitude that they had before. :)

Disappointed. With the change up in producers, who was supposedly pushing him to the max, I was really hoping for a change of pace for this next album. But this first single kinda diminished my expectations. I like it even less than "You're a Lie", and I haven't listened to that song since it first came out.

Now my gut feeling is that it's gonna be the same ol thing. 2-3 great songs, and the rest having a cunt hairs worth of replay value. If even that. I hope I'm wrong, there's still time for me to be wrong, but I don't think I will be. :shrugs:

I actually am not crazy about the mix on this. The drums are greatly improved but the guitars are too low in the mix, particularly the leads. Plus they just don't sound as good.

The melody Myles chose for the verses didn't quite fit the rest of the song. The lyrics as usual in his work with slash were average in the worst way possible.

However, this is the most like GN'R I think Slash has sounded since guns. I really enjoyed his solo, what I could hear of it, and I think the main riff was killer.

Maybe if Slash hadn't worked with Axl or Scott Weiland, it wouldn't be nearly as noticeable when he's working with someone who isn't a grade A rock singer. "I think it's time to set this world on fire" is a generic line, and Myles can't sell it quite like Scott could sell "Set me free," an equally generic rock sentiment. When Myles says "fuck you" or "fuck off" you can hear he's mad. When Axl said it you thought he was about to climb in your window and set your cat on fire, swing it by the tail and beat your mother with it. Myles doesn't have that.

Now this isn't to say that Myles isn't being genuine, that he doesn't mean what he says, or what he sings is put on for show, but it simply isn't as captivating as other singers Slash has worked with. But that's the price of not having to put up with a crazy egomaniac or crazy junkie.

I respect your opinion.

And it's great to read somebody who is passionate about music and who can share some well thought out opinions on it.

But I respectfully disagree. And I suppose that's why music is so often. The same song can have a complete opposite effect to different people.

I like this song - and Anastasia better than anything Velvet Revolver put out. I found VR to be very bland and boring. Set Me Free? Set me to Sleep was more like it.

I find Myles and Scott to both be pretty middle of the road singers. Neither one can touch Axl in the intensity or "feelings" world.

I was expecting this to be the typical middle of the road rock album and was hoping to enjoy 2-3 songs off of it. The first song exceeded my expectations and will go on my ipod.

Again - just my opinion!!!!

I actually am not crazy about the mix on this. The drums are greatly improved but the guitars are too low in the mix, particularly the leads. Plus they just don't sound as good.

The melody Myles chose for the verses didn't quite fit the rest of the song. The lyrics as usual in his work with slash were average in the worst way possible.

However, this is the most like GN'R I think Slash has sounded since guns. I really enjoyed his solo, what I could hear of it, and I think the main riff was killer.

Maybe if Slash hadn't worked with Axl or Scott Weiland, it wouldn't be nearly as noticeable when he's working with someone who isn't a grade A rock singer. "I think it's time to set this world on fire" is a generic line, and Myles can't sell it quite like Scott could sell "Set me free," an equally generic rock sentiment. When Myles says "fuck you" or "fuck off" you can hear he's mad. When Axl said it you thought he was about to climb in your window and set your cat on fire, swing it by the tail and beat your mother with it. Myles doesn't have that.

Now this isn't to say that Myles isn't being genuine, that he doesn't mean what he says, or what he sings is put on for show, but it simply isn't as captivating as other singers Slash has worked with. But that's the price of not having to put up with a crazy egomaniac or crazy junkie.

I respect your opinion.

And it's great to read somebody who is passionate about music and who can share some well thought out opinions on it.

But I respectfully disagree. And I suppose that's why music is so often. The same song can have a complete opposite effect to different people.

I like this song - and Anastasia better than anything Velvet Revolver put out. I found VR to be very bland and boring. Set Me Free? Set me to Sleep was more like it.

I find Myles and Scott to both be pretty middle of the road singers. Neither one can touch Axl in the intensity or "feelings" world.

I was expecting this to be the typical middle of the road rock album and was hoping to enjoy 2-3 songs off of it. The first song exceeded my expectations and will go on my ipod.

Again - just my opinion!!!!

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement! Haha

I still stand by my post but it sounds harsher on the single than I meant. I did enjoy it and will definitely be bumping it on long drives this summer. Just not a Myles fan.

Edited by TeeJay410

Teejay - me either. I kind of like Addicted to Pain by Alter. And Anastasia is one of the best rock songs of this decade. But the guy just destroys GnR songs - they should stop playing them live. And I'm not a fan of most of his work.

And I don't think this new Slash song is the song of the year either. It is just sort of catchy, his voice sounds pretty good in it, and the guitar geeks on here might not like the solo, but I think it sounds pretty cool. But I enjoy some mindless shredding like bands used to do in the old days!

Can someone please point out what is so good about Todd's voice on this track, because from what I can hear, he's just singing backing here and there, and it sounds just like Myles to my ears.... like as in, not any better or worse, just sounds like Myles.

Just heard world on fire (the track) on Sirius radio. Seemed like an ok song I didn't hear it good enough to really listen to it but Afew of slash guitar parts sounded pretty cool! Myles didn't do much for me maybe if I put some headphones on and really jam it. I might have to check out the album. Lol and not too start any fights here but when I heard it I couldn't help but wish it was Ax singing over the guitars..

Anyone suggest any songs off it?

Myles is just boring to me. Attitude has a lot to do with being a rock singer. Slash will tell you that himself. I'm not about to say Myles is a bad singer by any stretch, but the sound of his voice is grating to me and his lyrics are nothing unique or challenging or daring or anything. Hell, some of Weiland's lyrics were pretty out there but at least he was trying. "I think it's time we take it to the edge," really? You do Myles?

I don't know, he just doesn't do it for me, and I wish Slash would work with someone else even if it meant sacrificing some technical vocal ability or even a little comfort.

Slash settling on a safe guy like Myles rather than finding a way to work with the amazing talent that he had twice before is far more of an indictment on Slash's musical integrity as an artist than dropping Myles would be.

eiZjzZR.jpg

Obviously you've never actually heard Myles try to sing a Led Zep song....butchers it worse than he butchers GnR classics. He may be good enough for Alter Bridge...but he sucks in Slash's band. And thank God he never toured/recorded as Robert Plant's replacement.

Edited by foghat43

eiZjzZR.jpg

Quite frankly the only people I ever see down on Myles are in the GNR community.

The outside world tends to think quite highly of his talent and voice.

You'd think the guy is a 2 bit bum reading some of the posts about him in this thread, instead of the guy who has won Loudwire's rock vocalist of the year award 2 years in a row now with 2 different bands.

• Like 2

Where did I say he's not good enough for Slash's solo band? He obviously is since he's in it. You can't deny his vocal chops. I just said he's not my cup of tea and why.

Honestly, I think it would display more artistic integrity on Slash's part to work with someone who challenges him more and forces him out of his comfort zone rather than continuing to make dad rock albums with Myles. I understand Slash's perspective wanting to work with Myles, particularly after working with two of rocks biggest pains in the ass, but as a fan I feel like he's coasting despite flashes of greatness like "Watch this" and "Anastasia."

Edited by TeeJay410

You say that like Myles limits him to making dad rock. With Myles he can make whatever kind of music he likes, and he can cover his past material live to boot. He simply chooses to do dad rock because it's the easy thing. Working with a less skilled singer who's incapable of singing GNR songs would be a bad move when you have someone who can both sing GNR songs and write more provoking material with Slash, if Slash sees fit.