Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

IMO its tied with Back From Cali as the best solo single he's released yet. By The Sword is good, as is Your A Lie, but I always prefer the One Last Thrill type of songs on Slash's albums and thats exactly what this one is. This song is right on par with what I hope for with Slash, and while I can see where people are coming with the generic stuff, I still think this is better than 90% of the rock music out there today. This band is completely excellent and I'd kill for Axl to release something even remotely close to this.

• Like 1

What's the opening riff reminiscent off? Is it YCBM? It's definitely GnR ish.

Locomotive.Pretty Tied Up too.
Yeah maybe. There's something else though...can't quite put my finger on it. I'm not good at deciphering these things, just know it reminds me of something.

It's gonna bug me for ages now.

The riff reminds me of Nightrain.

Now that is more like it! song has some balls to it........Looking forward to the whole album...............

Word. It does have some much needed balls. This is just one song out of 16 and Slash is obviously really into it. I expect Slash solos of epic proportions.

Edited by Rovim

Hmmmm, after a few listens it really is a bit average, isn't it? Sounds like one of the many so-so tracks from his last album (One Last Thrill or something shitty like that).

I imagine the album will have some good tracks (there's always a few), perhaps if we're lucky an outstanding track (like Anastasia), but for the most part, it's business as usual for Slash. Generic, uninspired and tired. I've run out of adjectives to describe this song.

I would rather have one outstanding album every fifteen years (yes, I'm talking about Chinese Democracy) than countless albums filled with mediocrity.

There's nothing outstanding on democracy; waist of 15 years if you ask me

With Axl on vocals this would easily pass for something a 2014 version of GNR would have sounded like.

Maybe in 1987 or 1993; certainly not anytime since 2011

Horseshit. He improved a lot in 2014. At least it's good enough for some 2014 version of Guns that will never happen.

Lmao, too me he sounds like he sucks on a helium balloon before every song. Axl would be the weak link in any reunion.

• Like 1

Hmmmm, after a few listens it really is a bit average, isn't it? Sounds like one of the many so-so tracks from his last album (One Last Thrill or something shitty like that).

I imagine the album will have some good tracks (there's always a few), perhaps if we're lucky an outstanding track (like Anastasia), but for the most part, it's business as usual for Slash. Generic, uninspired and tired. I've run out of adjectives to describe this song.

I would rather have one outstanding album every fifteen years (yes, I'm talking about Chinese Democracy) than countless albums filled with mediocrity.

There's nothing outstanding on democracy; waist of 15 years if you ask me

With Axl on vocals this would easily pass for something a 2014 version of GNR would have sounded like.

Maybe in 1987 or 1993; certainly not anytime since 2011

Horseshit. He improved a lot in 2014. At least it's good enough for some 2014 version of Guns that will never happen.

Lmao, too me he sounds like he sucks on a helium balloon before every song. Axl would be the weak link in any reunion.

Fuck that on the 2:55 mark:

Get real bro.

Just got to listen. Good god Myles. It kicks ass other than the lyrics. Cringe inducing. Myles voice is Myles voice, I've more or less gotten over that, but god damn. It's like he bought a "rock lyric madlibs" book from Walgreens and writes his lyrics with it.

Yeah maybe. There's something else though...can't quite put my finger on it. I'm not good at deciphering these things, just know it reminds me of something.

Yes that's it. Just listened again and it clicked that time.

Yes that's it. Just listened again and it clicked that time.

Shit, can't unhear it now :P

• Like 1

Lyrics (thanks to Ryan from thealterbridgenation.com forum for typing them up)

World On Fire

Well they say that we are tragic and they say we’re born to lose
You’re the misfit I’m the sinner you’re the heathen I’m the fool
But today you’ll be the master or the slave it’s up to you
Or my beautiful disaster take me anywhere you choose

Don’t fight it, ignite it
This much I’m sure

I think it’s time to set this world on fire
I think it’s time to push it to the edge
Burn it to the ground and trip the wire
You may never be this good again

It’s like a new religion speaking tongues come see the light
Do not trip on inhibitions that will only waste my time
Let me tempt you with the evils of the flesh and so much more
Like a babylon redeemer like a pusher like a whore

Just try it, you’ll like it
I’ll give you more

Burn it to the ground and trip the wire

It’s so dark I can’t see
All the truth inside us
All i want is to feel something that’s real before the end

Close the door
Turn the key
Do you like
What you see

Kill the lights
Oh come to me
Set it off tonight
Baby just like fire on gasoline

I’m so fuckin’ bored so trip the wire

Just trip the wire
This world’s on fire
Just trip the wire

• Like 1

I like Myles' voice here a lot better than usual. The riff is pretty sick, and the whole rhythm section is solid. Todd KILLS it with the backing vocals.

Yes, it is a very radio-friendly song, and probably not the greatest on the album. But the point of a single is to have a song that will get inside your head, be played a ton on the radio, and make you want to hear more. Basically get you pumped for the rest of the album. And it definitely sounds like it will do just that.

• Like 1