Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

There's gonna be so much loud cheering the moment each and every classic character appears on screen.

Haha i can't even imagine that happening here in the UK. I've heard that you guys applaud n all that after a good film, but here it's just like "that was pretty good, eh? Now where's my jacket?". Saying that, ive never been to opening screenings of a massive film so it might be different but it just doesn't sound very British, and certainly not very Scottish! Haha

Looking forward to this film, but i'll be goin when the hype died down a bit.

It will be different. THIS is different. No movie franchise gets this kind of reaction. None. The cheering will happen all over the world guaranteed. When the classic characters show up on screen for the first time and when the opening score hits and the Star Wars logo comes on screen it doesn't matter if you're British or American or Mexican or Chinese. It will happen everywhere and I'm nto exaggerating haha

That's so true.

I remember seeing Phantom Manace opening night. As soon as the lights went down everyone cheered, then went ballistic when the opening title crawl came on. But when it ended everyone was quit silent. I think everyone was thinking the same thing "WTF was that" lol. Don't think that will happen on this one.

Doesn't happen in Britain though. What I mean is the cheers at the start would not happen. British audiences just do not do that. It would feel totally odd and embarrassing. Cheering for a film? Very un-British.

You are going to be wrong. Opening night they will cheer like they do anywhere else.

There's gonna be so much loud cheering the moment each and every classic character appears on screen.

Haha i can't even imagine that happening here in the UK. I've heard that you guys applaud n all that after a good film, but here it's just like "that was pretty good, eh? Now where's my jacket?". Saying that, ive never been to opening screenings of a massive film so it might be different but it just doesn't sound very British, and certainly not very Scottish! Haha

It will be different. THIS is different. No movie franchise gets this kind of reaction. None. The cheering will happen all over the world guaranteed. When the classic characters show up on screen for the first time and when the opening score hits and the Star Wars logo comes on screen it doesn't matter if you're British or American or Mexican or Chinese. It will happen everywhere and I'm nto exaggerating haha

That's so true.

I remember seeing Phantom Manace opening night. As soon as the lights went down everyone cheered, then went ballistic when the opening title crawl came on. But when it ended everyone was quit silent. I think everyone was thinking the same thing "WTF was that" lol. Don't think that will happen on this one.

Doesn't happen in Britain though. What I mean is the cheers at the start would not happen. British audiences just do not do that. It would feel totally odd and embarrassing. Cheering for a film? Very un-British.

You are going to be wrong. Opening night they will cheer like they do anywhere else.

I do live here - give me some credit! It is a purely American thing. A British person would be embarrassed to cheer for a film.

It's not just in america. Here in Brazil they do it. Went to see Avengers in Canada on the premiere and they did it. I see nothing wrong with expressing your enthusiasm. People who are care a bit less about how "uncivilized" (lol) it is to show your feelings in public at least seem like happier, friendlier, more interesting human beings.

I'm sorry I brought it up everyone lol.

I just remember when the prequels launched and everyone cheered at EVERYTHING. The Lucasflim logo........cheers..........The 20th Century Fox logo............cheers...........John Williams score.......CHEERS.......etc

In other news, I just heard that some theaters are running this for 24 hours starting on Thursday night. That's something I don't think I've ever heard of in my entire life, how rad.

I'm neither criticising the practice nor advocating it: I'm merely saying it does not happen (in Britain), and, the notion that it will somehow happen here based on the premise that this is a Star Wars and has special considerations is a complete fallacy.

He's right y'know. I remember someone clapped at one of the awesome bits in Kick Ass, and the amount of people who turned around in complete shock and disgust.

Edited by Conor

That's so true.

He's not going to be wrong.

I'm neither criticising the practice nor advocating it: I'm merely saying it does not happen (in Britain), and, the notion that it will somehow happen here based on the premise that this is a Star Wars and has special considerations is a complete fallacy.

He's right y'know. I remember someone clapped at one of the awesome bits in Kick Ass, and the amount of people who turned around in complete shock and disgust.

Well who the fuck does that for Kick Ass?

• Like 2

That's so true.

Riiiiiiight and I bet nobody in Britain will dress up for opening night either. Guaran-fucking-teed he is going to be wrong. 100% wrong. The fact you and him think nobody will cheer because itès un Britain like shows how ignorant you are to the magnitude of this movie and to the fanbase world wide including Britain. People will cheer for this just like they do everywhere else in the world.

Edited by Bono

The notion that you think it wont happen because it is unBritain like is laughable. It will happen. How old are you. I guarantee you it happened whan Phantom Menace came out and it WILL happen again next week when Force Awakens premiers. I expect you to come back here admitting you were completely wrong because you will be. The fact you dont understand this is Star Wars and there ARE special considerations says it all.

That's so true.

Riiiiiiight and I bet nobody in Britain will dress up for opening night either. Guaran-fucking-teed he is going to be wrong. 100% wrong. The fact you and him think nobody will cheer because itès un Britain like shows how ignorant you are to the magnitude of this movie and to the fanbase world wide including Britain. People will cheer for this just like they do everywhere else in the world.
Rrrrriiiigggghhhhtt! Because in all my 36 years the fact that not once have I ever seen an audience cheer during ANY film in the cinema.

12363141_10156389420610397_4599261115334

Rrrrriiiigggghhhhtt! Because in all my 36 years the fact that not once have I ever seen an audience cheer during ANY film in the cinema.

The fact you think ANY film is anywhere the same to this is hilarious and shows you dont know what you are talking about.

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1

The notion that you think it wont happen because it is unBritain like is laughable. It will happen. How old are you. I guarantee you it happened whan Phantom Menace came out and it WILL happen again next week when Force Awakens premiers. I expect you to come back here admitting you were completely wrong because you will be. The fact you dont understand this is Star Wars and there ARE special considerations says it all.

It DIDN'T happen for Phantom Menace. It didn't happen for Attack of the Clones. I didn't see Revenge of the Sith because I'd seen TPM and AOTC. It didn't happen during any showing I've been to of any of the original trilogy either.

• Like 1

Bono, you are making yourself look stupid. British people do not do it. Never have! Never will. Not for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Never. I saw The Phantom Menace opening night, sold out, and it didn't happen - not even at the beginning when the logo came up, before everybody realised the film stunk. If someone does cheer (and it has never happened in my 30 + years of going to the cinema but I'm willing to entertain the possibility), they must be either an American tourist or drunk - simple as that. And I do not mean they have had a pint or two but that they are off their face, i.e. drunk enough to completely remove their British inhibitions which usually requires at least eight pints. And this is going to be frowned upon in the cinema of course.

I can only speak for myself but the very notion of cheering during a movie interferes with every fibre of my Britishness. I just couldn't do it, not physically go through with the process.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

Bono, you are making yourself look stupid. British people do not do it. Never have! Never will. Not for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Never. I saw The Phantom Menace opening night, sold out, and it didn't happen - not even at the beginning when the logo came up, before everybody realised the film stunk. If someone does cheer (and it has never happened in my 30 + years of going to the cinema but I'm willing to entertain the possibility), they must be either an American tourist or drunk - simple as that. And I do not mean they have had a pint or two but that they are off their face, i.e. drunk enough to completely remove their British inhibitions which usually requires at least eight pints. And this is going to be frowned upon in the cinema of course.

I can only speak for myself but the very notion of cheering during a movie interferes with every fibre of my Britishness. I just couldn't do it, not physically go through with the process.

There is also the possibility of those special nerd showings they do at some cinemas. Like the midnight one off showings and wotnot. In that singular scenario I can agree that you might see the occasional cheer from time to time.
  • Like 2

There is also the possibility of those special nerd showings they do at some cinemas. Like the midnight one off showings and wotnot. In that singular scenario I can agree that you might see the occasional cheer from time to time.

Yes, maybe a festival thing and the opening night red carpet thing in London with the cast and crew present also might produce an applause at the end.

Yes, maybe a festival thing and the opening night red carpet thing in London with the cast and crew present also might produce an applause at the end.

But most of the crowd would be making subtle "wanker" gestures toward those responsible.

:lol::lol:

People just don't understand the pop culture significance of this movie. I hope a bunch of you go see it opening night and get pissed off when the crowd reacts EAXCTLY the way myself and others know they will. Walk out of the theatre when people cheer because they will cheer.

It DIDN'T happen for Phantom Menace. It didn't happen for Attack of the Clones. I didn't see Revenge of the Sith because I'd seen TPM and AOTC. It didn't happen during any showing I've been to of any of the original trilogy either.

No you're just lying. We'll see. Report back Friday after opening night and amdit how wrong you were.

:lol::lol:

People just don't understand the pop culture significance of this movie. I hope a bunch of you go see it opening night and get pissed off when the crowd reacts EAXCTLY the way myself and others know they will. Walk out of the theatre when people cheer because they will cheer.

No you're just lying. We'll see. Report back Friday after opening night and amdit how wrong you were.

Are you that adamant and desperate to win an argument? I actually live in Britain and have been attending the cinema in Britain for most of my life! It does not happen. It would be the strangest thing ever (for a British person) if someone started cheering during, say a light saber fight. People would just assume he is drunk.

I have tickets for the 18th - one day after it opens in Britain - so I will see if Britain strangely decides to belay tradition in cheering to films for the first time ever.

PS

The Force Awakens can never be as eagerly awaited as The Phantom Menace was and nobody knew it stank after the opening credits. When that logo came up, it could have theoretically been a masterpiece we were watching for all the knowledge we had. Where were the cheers then?