Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

If it turns out that Kylo is Han's son and Rey is Luke's daughter, that's really fucking dumb

Why?

Because then it means that Han's son and Luke's daughter just HAPPENED to run into eachother and majorly impact eachother's lives through random events. It's dumb. And don't give me that "the force willed it" bullshit.

Lol summary of next 3 pages of this thread.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

GOD DAMNIT YOU ASSHOLES I ACCIDENTALLY CLICKED QUOTE AND READ THE SPOILER ABOUT JAR JAR BINKS BEING LUKE SKYWALKER'S SON, YOU RUINED THE MOVIE FOR ME YOU INCONSIDERATE FUCKING CUNTS

Spoiler

I'm excited to see this tonight

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

fixed

So apparently someone who was at the premiere just leaked a fuckton of details. Not sure if they're legit, but just in case they are, I've decided I'm gonna jump out of this thread, and others like it on different sites, until after I see the film in a few days. I may know a bunch of spoilers, but it'd be nice to have at least a few surprises still when I see it.

Peace for now!

Edited by rocknroll41

The embargo on reviews ends tonight at 12:01am. So be prepared for a flurry of online reviews and spoiler leaks.

I heard a news report that this film will break the record for the most screens airing one film (I think they said it's around 41k screens).

It's also speculated that the film will make $223 million its opening weekend in North America. The figured it would have made more had it been a summer release, but it will still break the opening weekend box office record.

Disney paid Lucas over $4 billion for Lucasfilm and the Star Wars franchise. Perhaps it's just me, but it feels as though they'll make it all back and then some on the first movie when you consider the product tie-ins and merchandise/toy sales.

The embargo on reviews ends tonight at 12:01am. So be prepared for a flurry of online reviews and spoiler leaks.

I heard a news report that this film will break the record for the most screens airing one film (I think they said it's around 41k screens).

It's also speculated that the film will make $223 million its opening weekend in North America. The figured it would have made more had it been a summer release, but it will still break the opening weekend box office record.

Disney paid Lucas over $4 billion for Lucasfilm and the Star Wars franchise. Perhaps it's just me, but it feels as though they'll make it all back and then some on the first movie when you consider the product tie-ins and merchandise/toy sales.

I considered maybe starting a separate thread just for possible spoiler discussion over the next two days, then actual spoiler discussion from Thursday on.

Thoughts?

I truly don't believe Christmas is going to impact this movie in any way shape or form. I mean honestly who's sitting there saying I'll wait to see it because it's Christmas? I mean shit little kids are probably more pumped for this than Christmas too so. Christmas isn't going to impact this the way the experts think it will. I'll predict closer to upwards of $300 million on opening weekend. No way it loses to Jurassic World.

I considered maybe starting a separate thread just for possible spoiler discussion over the next two days, then actual spoiler discussion from Thursday on.

Thoughts?

I think by now we could just start a new thread anyways. This one is like 165 pages so.... I'd leav this one up till Thursday and then starta new one maybe.

Edited by Bono

Thoughts?

You've been managing and participating far more in this thread than I have, so feel free to move things around as you and other mods see fit. I do agree that partitioning the conversation is best for everyone involved. It will be frustrating for those who have seen the movie (or not concerned having it spoiled) having to put everything in spoiler tags just as it will be frustrating for those who don't want the film ruined by someone slipping and posting plot points.

I truly don't believe Christmas is going to impact this movie in any way shape or form. I mean honestly who's sitting there saying I'll wait to see it because it's Christmas? I mean shit little kids are probably more pumped for this than Christmas too so. Christmas isn't going to impact this the way the experts think it will. I'll predict closer to upwards of $300 million on opening weekend. No way it loses to Jurassic World.

You have to think about logistics. People are far busier this time of the year than they are in the summer. I know personally I'm going to wait for a week or two to see it as I'm slammed with work and social gatherings until after Christmas. Plus fighting the crowds and so on doesn't appeal to me at all.

Also, I'm somewhat convinced that the people who grew up with the original series are more excited about this film than the 4 to 12 year olds. It's not as culturally significant to them as it is for us who are 30+ years old.

Though, I'll admit I'm a bit surprised that with all the screens that's going to be airing this movie that the projection is $225 million for opening weekend. With so much supply and heavy demand I would have put it around the $250 million mark. But neither of us have jobs that revolve around this industry, so I generally defer to the experts.

If it turns out that Kylo is Han's son and Rey is Luke's daughter, that's really fucking dumb
Why?

Because then it means that Han's son and Luke's daughter just HAPPENED to run into eachother and majorly impact eachother's lives through random events. It's dumb. And don't give me that "the force willed it" bullshit.

I'm sure there will be a reason within the plot that keeps it from being hokey