Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

FUCKK just saw a HORRIBLE screencap spoiler online! That MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!! :(

Wow, what'd they show?

Han fucking dying, man... Kylo Ren piercing him with his lightsaber...

Wow....I knew about that but I cannot believe some asshole posted a pic of it!

Yup.... On Instagram... WHY?

Just got out of the midnight session (2D). Read the spoilers in this thread just now, they were all bang on the money. This post is kind of a brain dump since its late.

Han dying was brutal. As soon as he walked out on the bridge to face off with Kylo you knew it was coming. Didn't make it any easier to watch.

Loved it, parts felt like Star Wars, some parts didn't... JJ did well to keep a lot of the movie 'real' which I think a lot of people will appreciate. Lots of nods to the original trilogy in there too.. e.g. Gial Ackbar (the lobster dude) was there, drew a few laughs when he popped up.

It was very much a non-stop action movie; makes me wonder if the next two will be similarly (or slower) paced and more story driven. I will probably see it again. All the new characters were likeable. They don't confirm that Rey is Luke's daughter it seemed pretty likely. Snoke was awesome visually (and huge); you only see a hologram so it will be interesting to see if he's actually that big in the flesh.

Oh and Bono... Nobody cheered. A couple of people stuck their fists in the air; I heard like 3 people clap at the end and that was it. :shrugs:

Just got out of the midnight session (2D). Read the spoilers in this thread just now, they were all bang on the money. This post is kind of a brain dump since its late.

Han dying was brutal. As soon as he walked out on the bridge to face off with Kylo you knew it was coming. Didn't make it any easier to watch.

Loved it, parts felt like Star Wars, some parts didn't... JJ did well to keep a lot of the movie 'real' which I think a lot of people will appreciate. Lots of nods to the original trilogy in there too.. e.g. Gial Ackbar (the lobster dude) was there, drew a few laughs when he popped up.

It was very much a non-stop action movie; makes me wonder if the next two will be similarly (or slower) paced and more story driven. I will probably see it again. All the new characters were likeable. They don't confirm that Rey is Luke's daughter it seemed pretty likely. Snoke was awesome visually (and huge); you only see a hologram so it will be interesting to see if he's actually that big in the flesh.

Oh and Bono... Nobody cheered. A couple of people stuck their fists in the air; I heard like 3 people clap at the end and that was it. :shrugs:

I'm kinda glad the spoilers are accurate. Even knowing about Han ahead of time, I know it's gonna be harsh.

edit-

As far as keeping things real, I read a review that said that there's one part where CGI sticks out pretty bad but everything else is great. Did you happen to notice it?

Nope. I thought it was well-used CGI. If there was an exception, I missed it.

If I can anticipate a complaint some will make, it's that the film borrowed a lot from the original films - even story-wise. They even had a new death star (pretty much) and a plan to disable the shields / blow it up.

Don't get me wrong, I found the whole experience immensely satisfying as a fan... I think it's exactly what most people wanted (me included) - but I expect this aspect will be a sticking point for some nonetheless.

Bacardi will hate it.

Nope. I thought it was well-used CGI. If there was an exception, I missed it.

If I can anticipate a complaint some will make, it's that the film borrowed a lot from the original films - even story-wise. They even had a new death star (pretty much) and a plan to disable the shields / blow it up.

Don't get me wrong, I found the whole experience immensely satisfying as a fan... I think it's exactly what most people wanted (me included) - but I expect this aspect will be a sticking point for some nonetheless.

Bacardi will hate it.

Good to know about the CGI.

I read that about the story as well. To me they're damned if they do, damned it they don't. If they don't pay service to the past, the fans will go apeshit. If they set off in a new direction, the fans will go nuts.

Exactly. I think the next two will probably have a little more of their 'own' identity in that sense. It allowed for a 'passing of the torch' so to speak without entirely abandoning what made SW so great in the first place.

Seeing Han and Chewy on screen for the first time was just... warming? There were a lot of moments like that. :)

Definitely cared quite a bit about the new characters by the end - that was always going to be a challenge but they were all very compelling. I had high hopes for Adam Driver and John Boyega (both delivered), but Daisy Ridley was easily as good. I really, really liked Rey.

Actually all the actors were on point, especially in comparison with the wooden-ness we saw in I-III.

Sounds like they're playing it very straightforward and predictably, which is incredibly reassuring and refreshing.

I'm expecting the film to be fast paced, hit you with a lot of information(30+ years of lore) set the stage with a simple adventure story that parallels A New Hope, and get in a solid enjoyable film as a foot in the door for the next two, which as HV said will probably form an identity of their own.

This is the only time where the famous "It's like poetry, it rhymes" concept makes sense, and as long as they do it well without trying to be too tongue in cheek or too serious, then I can see myself loving the film.

I already dropped 175$ on that Sphero BB-8 droid, so I'm pretty invested

Edited by Dan H.