March 22nd, 2014 - Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Black Sabbath

This used to be a fan forum.

Axl used to sound good

Not really !! GN'R shows were not predictable. I'm a fan since 1987, and had K7 tapes of shows, when it was hard to find them, and VHS, etc. In many shows Slash was completely drunk and out of tune in some parts, and Axl had serious problems to reach the high notes, and the rasp was a way to keep singing, but it hurts the vocal chords. The original Tokyo VHS shows that, as the Illusions tour. He COULDN'T sing anymore without the rasp !!! BUT, they were raw and they were "rock n'roll", they had attitude...and we were young ! Now that magic scenario does not exist anymore. The Slash departure was a shot in the band imaginary. So that's the question. If we look to GN'R nowadays and try to find that spirit...we would be beating a dead horse. From a technical point of view, Axl can sing with less pressure to the vocal chords, letting the air to flow more freely, which is the correct way TO BE ABLE TO DO LIVE SHOWS. You may not like the result. But he is not sounding bad at all, maybe different. He do the rasp, but in a controlled way. Of course I would prefer to be 16 years again, to live that rn'r moment....but I'm almost 40....and I like to have Axl still singing. And one last thing: we can't compare GN'R/ AXL to Mettalica, Stones, etc... Axl is a natural baritone, who sings in the hyper acute registre of the voice, and this makes all the difference with the aging.

Edited by rhb

This used to be a fan forum.

Axl used to sound good

Not really !! GN'R shows were not predictable. I'm a fan since 1987, and had K7 tapes of shows, when it was hard to find them, and VHS, etc. In many shows Slash was completely drunk and out of tune in some parts, and Axl had serious problems to reach the high notes, and the rasp was a way to keep singing, but it hurts the vocal chords. The original Tokyo VHS shows that, as the Illusions tour. He COULDN'T sing anymore without the rasp !!! BUT, they were raw and they were "rock n'roll", they had attitude...and we were young ! Now that magic scenario does not exist anymore. The Slash departure was a shot in the band imaginary. So that's the question. If we look to GN'R nowadays and try to find that spirit...we would be beating a dead horse. From a technical point of view, Axl can sing with less pressure to the vocal chords, letting the air to flow more freely, which is the correct way TO BE ABLE TO DO LIVE SHOWS. You may not like the result. But he is not sounding bad at all, maybe different. He do the rasp, but in a controlled way. Of course I would prefer to be 16 years again, to live that rn'r moment....but I'm almost 40....and I like to have Axl still singing. And one last thing: we can't compare GN'R/ AXL to Mettalica, Stones, etc... Axl is a natural baritone, who sings in the hyper acute registre of the voice, and this makes all the difference with the aging.

Great post and you're right about his voice and that's the problem as he gets older it naturally gets harder to do the high register stuff. If you listen properly his baritone voice is even richer and stronger these days and I wish he would use it more.

• Like 1

That Nightrain clip is up there with that God awful Jungle clip.

My lord he has just totally let himself go.

He's not even trying anymore.

At this point he needs to come out and do a big heel turn and tell the fans they can stick it. I have never seen a band and their management have more contempt for their fans than GNR does.

Team Brazil and Axl relish putting on these shitty shows and stealing our money because they think we deserve it. They hate us, and the sooner we all realize it the sooner we can stop enabling them by giving them our money.

I looked at the NR clip, jesus you just cant defend the man anymore. Time to throw your last mike out Axl and call it a day.

There is nothing to defend him from and there never has been. If you don't like what he's doing, don't follow what he's doing. It's not going to effect anybody but you because he more than obviously doesn't give a shit. I don't see why you guys don't understand how this works.

Thanks for the enlightenment. I enjoy going for the underdog, its what keeps me and many others coming back here like loyal subjects.

that rock am ring vid....such ferociousness, I cant believe we were actually bitching about his vocals back then.......compared to present day that video just blows my mind.

Were you? :lol: I burned a DVD of that gig and watched it on New Year's eve headbanging like a maniac. The only things I'd bitch about were cornrows and Tommy's suits (well, yeah, Finck's playing too).

I looked at the NR clip, jesus you just cant defend the man anymore. Time to throw your last mike out Axl and call it a day.

There is nothing to defend him from and there never has been. If you don't like what he's doing, don't follow what he's doing. It's not going to effect anybody but you because he more than obviously doesn't give a shit. I don't see why you guys don't understand how this works.

Thanks for the enlightenment. I enjoy going for the underdog, its what keeps me and many others coming back here like loyal subjects.

How does wanting someone to retire equate to rooting for the underdog again?

that rock am ring vid....such ferociousness, I cant believe we were actually bitching about his vocals back then.......compared to present day that video just blows my mind.

Were you? :lol: I burned a DVD of that gig and watched it on New Year's eve headbanging like a maniac. The only things I'd bitch about were cornrows and Tommy's suits (well, yeah, Finck's playing too).

Haha yeah I kinda was, not the rock am ring show though, but I was mostly thinking back to the 90's and comparing that voice to the '08 one and as far as Finck is concerned I'll always bitch about his live playing :lol:

I'm no Axl Rose Defence League member or anything, but I think people are being pretty melodramatic regarding Axl's performances and appearance.

Especially since it's no real surprise- we've seen it all before...what makes this THE END of Axl as a performer etc?

I'm not trying to defend the performances, but it's nothing new.

• Like 1

I went over to HTGTH for shits and giggles and the GNR educators are out in full force right now doing damage control.

It really is the bizzaro world over there, as they are lashing out as those who are disappointed in Axl's effort level.

• Like 1

I think most people just don't care anymore. I'm really only hear for anything goes but it still makes me a little sad to see what's become of a once great band.

Yeah same here, I'm saddened to see how it's ended up but it's been this way for the past 5 years (at least).

People said he couldn't sing in 01-02...fuck, people said he sounded like shit in 93.

It really is the bizzaro world over there, as they are lashing out as those who are disappointed in Axl's effort level.

Ridiculous, right?

That's why we try and be as lenient as possible over here, criticism and having an opinion is one thing and everyone is free to express that, but bashing outright is another. I hope others can see that with the amount of critical posts over Axls voice over the past few days.

• Like 2