March 22nd, 2014 - Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Black Sabbath

I still think 2011- 2012 were pretty damn cool for the band (at least as a live band). Axl's voice changed but it wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be. The marathon gigs of 2010 only increased, we had a pretty successful USA tour, the UCAP tour, the residency, Izzy, and old favorites back into the mix (Don't Cry, Civil War, 14 Years, ESTRANGED). There were a few misfires like Rio and the Bridge School benefit shows but overall, I thought they were good years.

GNR was one of the top live bands on the planet from 09-12, other band forums even seemed to acknowledge this (I lurk on aeroforceone, metallicabb, van halen links, the led zeppelin forum, iorr, and some others). Last year the show lengths declined, absolutely nothing new was added, and there were even less dates. This year seems like it'll be even worse.

I am sure a lot of people loved the shows they went to (like rock4eva, and I am grateful the band was able to deliver the goods for concert goers), and I will continue to enjoy shows I get to go to, but it is really sad how Axl has regressed and seems to be content to be a nostalgia band. I hope that changes, but it seems he is defiantly going through the motions during these 2014 shows. A far cry from the Axl of 2009- 2012.

• Like 2

http://youtu.be/2D7QypeLbSM

First time in a while I heard Axl not able to hit the outro of November rain with power. He's lost alot of power in his voice this year.

baby-3.gif

Hah, axl tried to end the song a little too early

That was pretty bad... and WTF is up with the stage? That sucks compared to the 2010 and 2011 arena stages

Lol what a cock

Wouldn't it be amazing if the band played shows for the people on the Internet instead of the paying attendees?
Then you'd all be happy instead of having thousands of fans going crazy at the shows....

tongue.gif

A reminder who the band plays for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUhSa1_Cmu0
Sorry if that upsets some of you.

/jarmo

Lol what a cock

Wouldn't it be amazing if the band played shows for the people on the Internet instead of the paying attendees?

Then you'd all be happy instead of having thousands of fans going crazy at the shows....

tongue.gif

/jarmo

Those types of people who try and pretend like people shouldn't be allowed to voice their negative opinions online baffle me, the mind of Jarmo is a strange one :thumbsup:

But hey that is why this site gets waay more discussion over a place like HTGTH

Edited by WhazUp

Lol what a cock

tongue.gif

/jarmo

Lest we forget, /jarmo...

"I'll tell you a little bit about the show. There might be a delay between... different songs 'cause, we just have this big fuckin' list and we pick which song we're gonna play next as we go... to see how it feels best with you. That way, we don't get bored, and you don't go: 'I saw that show in... Toledo!' Fuck that shit! Also, we'll be playing a lot of new stuff, you people have been waiting a really long time for the new album to come out, and it'd be kind of a really pussiest thing to do to just come up here and play Appetite For Destruction, it's kinda like jerking off. " - Axl Rose, St Louis, 1991.

I'm tempted to make an account at HTGTH just so I can post that every time /jarmo gives the same hypocritical bullshit argument over and over again.

A couple of months ago I made a post here saying that we really need to lay off the negativity, and that's really detrimental to the forum. It was well-received by a few at the time. Now I see that the negativity was warranted, and most of those who agreed with my previous statement are now of the same opinion that there really is nothing to be positive about.

The Axl of today is almost the complete opposite of the Axl of yesteryear. There's growing older and maturing, and there's completely betraying all of your principles and everything you stood for.

It is a contradiction to be both a fan of the Axl of 2014 and the Axl of any previous year. It is a contradiction to support both a man who gave his all and dedicated his life to his craft, whose performances were renowned for their passion and intensity, and to stand by a man who wishes to cash in on past efforts with minimum effort and rest on his laurels on a seat of comfortable mediocrity.

"Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong." Axl might be familiar with that author ;)

• Like 2

It just occurred to me: no Madagascar. I know that it isn't a guaranteed staple but it has always been in the set at the start of the tours. I have to wonder if it's not there because he can't honestly sing those lyrics anymore because he quite clearly has been 'brought down in this storm.' :/

It just occurred to me: no Madagascar. I know that it isn't a guaranteed staple but it has always been in the set at the start of the tours. I have to wonder if it's not there because he can't honestly sing those lyrics anymore because he quite clearly has been 'brought down in this storm.' :/

Last time it was played as Tokyo Dec 2012. It sounded fucking AWESOME in 2010, but it's been crap since then.

Compare, London 2010 (prob the best performance):

London 2012:

Barely 18 months apart, world of difference. And that's a pretty great performance for 2012, if he still sang like that it'd be fine. But with his current voice, there's no point in singing it :( Same with Sorry. In that 2012 video of Madagascar, he's still moving around more in one song than he has at 2 full shows this 2014 tour.

Edited by Amir

Wow, I didn't realise it wasn't played at all in 2013. Don't you think that's really telling? I mean because of the lyrics.

Maybe, I don't think so, I think it's more to do with the fact that Axl's voice can't cope with it any more and it's been played at nearly every show since 2001. Catcher's replaced SOD, but he seems to have replaced Maddy with covers that don't sound so bad with his current voice like The Seeker and Don't Let It Bring You Down.

Wow, I didn't realise it wasn't played at all in 2013. Don't you think that's really telling? I mean because of the lyrics.

Maybe, I don't think so, I think it's more to do with the fact that Axl's voice can't cope with it any more and it's been played at nearly every show since 2001. Catcher's replaced SOD, but he seems to have replaced Maddy with covers that don't sound so bad with his current voice like The Seeker and Don't Let It Bring You Down.

I've got to say, I don't buy that, for all the reasons I stated in 'The Throat...' thread.

Madagascar is on of the easiest for him to sing. I don't mean in terms of making it sound good, I mean that the verses he can cruise through easily in clean mid-range and the high parts he hits with falsetto. The faster mid-range verses of many other songs including Jungle, Nightrain, Sweet Child, Catcher, friggin nearly all of them, are harder than Madagascar's verses and the high parts of LALD, Heaven's Door, SOD, NR etc etc are all as hard or harder than the few high lines in Madagascar.

I'm sticking to my theory. He ain't singing it anymore cuz the sentiments no longer hold up.

Thing is he HAS to sing Jungle, Nightrain, SCOM, and in 2014 he's not singing them well. Catcher he seems to put some effort into, and it's not been played enough to lose novelty factor, so that's why in that video from a couple of nights ago it seems to me he puts most effort into that (but still not quite getting it).

Yep, the more I see to more my view goes towards the fact that he actually does not sound worse than the last time around but his "fightin spirit" has gone down the tubes. I sense that he could pull it off better, but lights up on only a few occasions, it is weird. That is mind boggling as it is but to add the "new songs" joke into it... it just makes it so much sadder. Once again another page to the worse in the history of GnR.

Oh Boy....every tour the same whining and complaining. Most important is people at the show had a good time and not people bitching behind their computers. Also it is hardly a new thing that the first couple of shows of a GnR tour are not that outstanding as apparently Axl does not care much about preparation. He always got much better during the tour.

Also it is hardly a new thing that the first couple of shows of a GnR tour are not that outstanding as apparently Axl does not care much about preparation.

This is very true and yet very sad. Speaks to the level of contempt he and team Brazil have for the fans.

• Like 1