The "official" Paul Hugh (Huge) thread

The guy obviously has some talent if the Axman co-wrote some tracks with him, they aren't half bad either. I know BBF could do some cool stuff, 4tus seems competent enough but apart from Dead Daisies I don't know much about the guy's song chops, Ashba has some radio rock with Sixx:Am which is okay but not really my cup of tea or what I'd like GNR to do. This Huge guy seems a decent enough player though he's barely been in the limelight.

The fact that Axl wrote a song with Tobias doesn't mean Tobias is talented.

I believe Axl could write an amazing song with a fucking washing machine if he was really motivated. Axl is THAT talented. When he's motivated, that is.

Yeah but the fact is the guy played guitar and wrote some good songs with Axl Rose, he isn't going to work with a dishwasher is he to express some feeling he has in a musical form, he needs a reciprocal figure who is aware of the instrument to connote a concept and lucid emotion through those strings.

Yeah but the fact is the guy played guitar and wrote some good songs with Axl Rose, he isn't going to work with a dishwasher is he to express some feeling he has in a musical form, he needs a reciprocal figure who is aware of the instrument to connote a concept and lucid emotion through those strings.

I always liked Slash's comments on Paul. Something along the lines of his name is Paul Huge but he calls himself Paul Tobias for some reason. (Or the other way around).

I never really understood why Axl brought him in.

Slash's real name is Saul but he calls himself Slash for some reason.

Apples to oranges.

Slash's point was Paul goes by both Paul Tobias and Paul Huge. Slash doesn't really go by both Saul and Slash to people; he pretty much goes by Slash in anything that isn't in a legal sense.

I always liked Slash's comments on Paul. Something along the lines of his name is Paul Huge but he calls himself Paul Tobias for some reason. (Or the other way around).

Apples to oranges.

Slash's point was Paul goes by both Paul Tobias and Paul Huge. Slash doesn't really go by both Saul and Slash to people; he pretty much goes by Slash in anything that isn't in a legal sense.

Not apples to oranges. Almost everyone in GNR hasn't used their real name so why is it an issue for Paul? You're picking at straws to help your argument.

Tobias has never really played live, as explained during RIR3. To me with that few gigs on his belt, he did a great job. And especially he co-wrote some great tunes with Axl. So I have nothing bad to say about Tobias, and people that blame the break up o ol-GnR on Tobias are a bunch of idiots. But people use scapegoats.

• Like 1

Slash's nightmare would have been Tracii Guns AND Paul Tobias brought into the room in 1994.

Tobias has never really played live, as explained during RIR3. To me with that few gigs on his belt, he did a great job. And especially he co-wrote some great tunes with Axl. So I have nothing bad to say about Tobias, and people that blame the break up o ol-GnR on Tobias are a bunch of idiots. But people use scapegoats.

Axl forced Tobias on the band whether they liked it or not, he was probably "spying" on behalf of Axl on what was being said. Ask Matt if he really hates Tobias or it was just a heat of the moment thing because he was getting kicked out of the band. It's not like they didn't know him from over the years.

Apples to oranges.

This might explain the name.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thehj-info/obituary.aspx?n=paul-s-huge&pid=152863504

Paul S. Huge, 81, Monticello, died at 7:10 a.m., Sunday, July 31, 2011 at Monticello Assisted Living and Healthcare Center.
He was born December 13, 1929 to August and Sadie (Rieken) Huge in Plymouth. On Nov. 22, 1951, in Burnettsville, he married Marthalove Tobias. She died Aug. 3, 1998. Paul then on Sept. 11, 2006, in Gatlinburg, Tenn., married Noreen Hansell. She survives.
Paul was a 1947 graduate of Burnettsville High School. Right after graduating he enlisted on June 16, 1947 into the United States Navy. He retired in August of 1966 as Chief Hospital Corpsman (HMC). After retiring from the Navy, Paul went to work for the United States Post Office in Lafayette, working there until 1977. Then he became the Postmaster of the Otterbein United States Post Office, working there until July of 1989. He was a member of the Yeoman United Methodist Church and the American Legion Post in Otterbein.
Other survivors include daughters, Susan Kay (Peter) Shelsy, Peru, Mass., Patricia Ann Janssen, Lafayette, Judy Lynn (Bill) Sury, Lake Jackson, Texas, Vicki L. Hansell, Chicago, Ill., Barbara G. Lockhart, West Lafayette, and Susan K. Hansell, Woodstock, Ill.; sons, Paul Edward (Karen) Tobias, San Pedro, Calif. and Robert T. (Janine) Hansell, Longmont, Colo.; grandchildren, Michael Paul Shelsy, Margaret Love Shelsy-Castro, J. Tobias Shelsy, Samuel August Shelsy, Eric Michael Tobias, Danica Grace Tobias, Nathan Hansell Lockhart, John Hansell, Lockhart, Robert Hansell Lockhart, Emily N. Clark, Julia M. Clark, Aidan Hansell and Julian Hansell; and a great-grandson, Lincoln Lockhart.
He is preceded in death by his parents; wife, Marthalove (Tobias) Huge; five sisters; and two brothers. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thehj-info/obituary.aspx?n=paul-s-huge&pid=152863504#sthash.r4Eqlt2H.dpuf

Honestly prefer his contributions over Izzy's.

Oh my.

I don't think anyone blames Huge Tobias for forcing Huge Tobias on the band. It's not like he did it himself. Rose did that, once he owned the name and could do so.

So people rightly blame Rose, not Huge Tobias, for Huge Tobias being forced on the band.

I loved it when he did this to the Rocket Queen solo.

Starts around 2:05

/sarcasm

:no:

Holy shit. Brutal. I've never heard that before. Huge Tobias and Rose should have been ashamed of that.

Paul in "classic" GNR? No.

Paul in "new" GNR? Yes.

Why Tobias is so hated and Pitman gets a pass is beyond me...

I agree. I actually despise Pitman. He adds nothing that can't be added by Dizzy and looks so out of place. He looks like a middle aged fat guy who goes out cross dressing at a weekend when his family are out of town. That said though, I like him 67837983 times more than Gashba.

• Like 2

Didn't read through the post but wanted to get clarification: I seem to remember that the name Huge was pronounced "who-gay" and not as the word is otherwise pronounced... Anybody know?

can't remember where, exactly, but i've heard Axl pronounce it as "hue-gi" So like, "hue," like color spectrum and stuff; and then "gi" like what martial artists wear in karate or jiu jitsu and stuff.