Live Q&A about Vegas Residency

'Does DJ Ashba have the memory of a fruit fly and suffer the delusions of a man on his third day lost in the sahara? I am worried for his demented sanity since claims the setlists are unpredictable and never follow the same pattern and there is apparently too much new material to make a new record from.'

Whenever someone asks me an important question, I think "What would Ashba say?". Then I say the opposite.

Maybe there will be WWAD bracelets soon.

I think Axl needs to fly to NYC and appear on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. Jimmy is a huge GNR fan, so I think Axl should give him an interview.

Absolutely. Fallon did a great service to the new band at the 2002 VMAs.

Maybe Axl knows that night would inevitably be brought up, and prefers to forget it. :shrugs:

I would go as far as saying that Fallon's GnR announcement is the greatest thing about the 2002 VMA's. He was genuinely fucking stoked and it was very infectious. I still maintain the performance itself was pretty poor, but the sheer mystique about it was fantastic and Fallon contributed to that a lot.

Axl was fucken terrible in it except for Madagascar. Paradise City and Jungle sucked vocally, it was embarrassing. Obvious that he did not prepare for such a momentous occasion.

Watching it now. Yes, Axl sounds poor on Jungle and PC. Typical high-pitched 2002 voice. But at least he can hold a note twice as long as he can now. The pitch is terrible, but at least it's not as fragile as now. And there's some hunger, power and mystique to the band. Despite Finck looking terrible and Buckethead looking like..well...Buckethead, it still has something powerful.

If anybody would have told me 10 years ago that I would one day defend the VMA performance I would have laughed in their faces. This realization makes me sad.

Edited by username

What I'd like to know is who came up with the name No Trickery and what was their punishment.

Axl having a pop at Flea for using a new but pre-recorded bassline for the Superbowl. He clearly forgot that he re-recorded most of the vocals for Live Era because that's not a bit of forgiveable trickery at a huge show with crazy logistics: it's putting out a 'live' album that isn't live at all.

What I'd like to know is who came up with the name No Trickery and what was their punishment.

Axl having a pop at Flea for using a new but pre-recorded bassline for the Superbowl. He clearly forgot that he re-recorded most of the vocals for Live Era because that's not a bit of forgiveable trickery at a huge show with crazy logistics: it's putting out a 'live' album that isn't live at all.

A lot of live albums get touched up and some parts re-recorded and other shit. Kiss Alive! is not really alive. But that was a good "live" album. I like the re-recorded higher register vocals for Nightrain in the chorus.

Edited by Rovim

I threw Live Era on recently... Did he re-recorded all of Nightrain? It sounds weird.

The re-recorded parts in Estranged are so blatant that it's actually depressing... Did they forget that they'd already released that version on the UYI Tokyo tapes, or did they think nobody would notice? It's so unnecessary.

I threw Live Era on recently... Did he re-recorded all of Nightrain? It sounds weird.

The re-recorded parts in Estranged are so blatant that it's actually depressing... Did they forget that they'd already released that version on the UYI Tokyo tapes, or did they think nobody would notice? It's so unnecessary.

This will be a great question to ask during the Vegas Q&A.

• Like 1

A lot of live albums get touched up and some parts re-recorded and other shit. Kiss Alive! is not really alive. But that was a good "live" album. I like the re-recorded higher register vocals for Nightrain in the chorus.

"We've done that (gone back in the studio) in the past for certain songs where we've had train wrecks. We have so many live albums, first of all, that we've had just about every live album experience. The first one (All the World's a Stage) was totally raw and totally live and it really bugged us for years that we didn't fix anything. And then with the second one (Exit Stage Left), we fixed way too many things and it sounds a bit sterile in retrospect. And then you learn what to mess with and what not to mess with. You want to present the best possible show for people, but you don't want to get so nit-picky about it that you lose what's interesting about a live performance." - Geddy Lee
  • Like 1

"We've done that (gone back in the studio) in the past for certain songs where we've had train wrecks. We have so many live albums, first of all, that we've had just about every live album experience. The first one (All the World's a Stage) was totally raw and totally live and it really bugged us for years that we didn't fix anything. And then with the second one (Exit Stage Left), we fixed way too many things and it sounds a bit sterile in retrospect. And then you learn what to mess with and what not to mess with. You want to present the best possible show for people, but you don't want to get so nit-picky about it that you lose what's interesting about a live performance." - Geddy Lee

Axl is insecure, and on many occasions he doesn't know how or is not capable to step back and say: "it's done". Big problem for any artist.

Edited by Rovim

"will there be new songs at these shows? and im not talking about something like yesterdays or breakdown or even Izzy showing up and guns closing with goodnight tonight....I mean new songs even if its stuff from the chinese democracy leftovers..

That blow up globe is cute. I would like one.

So is this Q&A going to be online or in Vegas or both?

I doubt anything new will be discussed and if anything new will be happening at these Vegas shows, I would think the band would keep it a secret.

I wonder how the shows are selling this time around? I would love to go, but it's too expensive for a couple of nights. Plus I really wasn't impressed with the hotel at all.

Axl is insecure, and on many occasions he doesn't know how or is not capable to step back and say: "it's done". Big problem for any artist.

It was hard enough to try to create a sonic experience of a GNR concert that made you feel like you were at the show, and not because they had a contract obligation. I don't know if i agree with a "highlights" live album as much as putting full length shows out as a "legal bootleg", that's something fans will always debate about. There's probably a few "benchmark" concerts GNR could put out now and be blown away by without having to do anything to it, including in the 2002 and 2006 tours.

Axl knows that if no new music is coming, the archives are going to be mined, because people want the full shows, esp. if they were at the shows.

I doubt anything new will be discussed and if anything new will be happening at these Vegas shows, I would think the band would keep it a secret.

I wonder how the shows are selling this time around? I would love to go, but it's too expensive for a couple of nights. Plus I really wasn't impressed with the hotel at all.

It's not on the Strip which is a disadvantage, and they should be shaking the setlist up each night, esp. when you're getting people to see 2 or more shows.

It's not on the Strip which is a disadvantage, and they should be shaking the setlist up each night, esp. when you're getting people to see 2 or more shows.

Tbf, they played TWAT about 5 times at the last residency, and Catcher replaced SOD halfway through. 14 Years was played with Izzy a couple of times. He really struggled with TWAT in 2012, though, don't think we'll ever hear it again (the one song I wanted to hear most, as well... :/ ). I think The Seeker was introduced at Vegas? They need to drop it now, though, never gets much reaction at the shows I've been to, might as well play a deep cut instead of a cover.

Tbf, they played TWAT about 5 times at the last residency, and Catcher replaced SOD halfway through. 14 Years was played with Izzy a couple of times. He really struggled with TWAT in 2012, though, don't think we'll ever hear it again (the one song I wanted to hear most, as well... :/ ). I think The Seeker was introduced at Vegas? They need to drop it now, though, never gets much reaction at the shows I've been to, might as well play a deep cut instead of a cover.

Catcher and Shackler's was on the South American leg so they're probably going to pop up in Vegas. I think Seeker's one of those songs that doesn't kick Axl's ass and he did that at most of the shows. It was good news hearing he opened with something other than ChiDem, but he probably has a whole routine and ritual getting ready to go on stage with that song. It's almost like it's the song he does to warm up his voice and check the audience out.

We should boicot this Q&A if its Bumblefoot or Dizzy again parroting the same shit over and over.

There's only one question that matters and that is "when is the new album coming out?". If no answer for this then BYE BYE.

Twitter is cruel and they know it.

There's only one question that matters and that is "when is the new album coming out?". If no answer for this then BYE BYE.

But that's not even remotely what this Q&A is about.

We need to know if there will be trickery or not at this newest Vegas residency.

But that's not even remotely what this Q&A is about.

We need to know if there will be trickery or not at this newest Vegas residency.

what is there to be asked about Vegas residency?? It's like the friggin' third time they do it, isn't it?

Plus I live in hell, no chance of going....