Lies2.......The GnR EP to tide us over until CD2 comes out

If Beta emailed you and asked what songs YOU would love to see on an EP that would be released this Christmas to tide fans over until CD2 comes out in 2015. What songs would you want on it.

She gave you these guidelines.

There will be two "new" songs that you haven't heard before.

Two covers

Four live versions of songs.

What eight songs, using those guidelines do you pick?

I'd go:

New:

General and Checkmate

Covers

Riff Raff and Seeker

Live versions:

Catcher

Twat

Prostitute

IRS

You???

I'd choose (almost identical to Groghan):

New:

General and Checkmate

Covers

Sailing and Seeker

Live versions:

Catcher

Twat

Prostitute

IRS

I wouldn't go for L'Arc, I'd choose performances from 2014. So that means they'll have to perform IRS on Friday or Saturday :)

I second that. 4 acoustic original songs would be great.

For the live songs...

IRS from RAR 06.

Prostitute from yesterday.

You're Crazy from Philly 2012.

It's So Easy from the first show in SA With Duff.

Edited by Spirit

1. Silkworms

2. Checkmate/Jackie Chan

3. Going Down

4. Oh My God (Remix)

5. Sweet Child O' Mine '99

6. a cover, any cover, live or studio

Call it Chinese Democracy II, This will get all the all the fully/partially leaked songs out of the way & give us a fresh new record

sorry to stray from the guidelines but I've thought an EP along these lines would be a great idea for some time

Edited by The Matinator
  • Like 1

I think I'd go with "Down by the Ocean" and "Quick Song" for the new songs. From what we know about them, they seem like the only "EP" type songs. Covers, I'd pick "The Seeker" and, while they've never done this before to my knowledge, a cover of the Ozzy Osbourne song "See You On the Other Side". Saw an obviously fake video someone had made and advertised as Axl covering that, and it got me curious about how it would really sound.

Now, the other songs? That's the tough part. If it's like the old Lies EP, then it would be a "faux-live" collection of new songs. In this case I'd pick full versions of "Oh My God" and "Silkworms," "Going Down," and "Jackie Chan" since they're the ones that have already been leaked or heard at least partially. Just dub some audience noise over them, haha. But if they were real live versions of already officially released songs? I'd go with "There Was a Time," "Riad N' the Bedouins," vanilla "Oh My God," and "Madagascar". I don't care where you get the first two, but the last half needs to come from the 2001 Rock in Rio performance. The solo for Madagascar at that show was the best I've ever heard, and I kind of liked how "Oh My God" ended with Axl singing the last line to complete silence. I know it was most likely unintentional, but I thought it sounded cool. If I can't pick Riad for legal reasons, then I'd pick "Chinese Democracy" from the same show.

• Like 1

I think I'd go with "Down by the Ocean" and "Quick Song" for the new songs. From what we know about them, they seem like the only "EP" type songs. Covers, I'd pick "The Seeker" and, while they've never done this before to my knowledge, a cover of the Ozzy Osbourne song "See You On the Other Side". Saw an obviously fake video someone had made and advertised as Axl covering that, and it got me curious about how it would really sound.

Now, the other songs? That's the tough part. If it's like the old Lies EP, then it would be a "faux-live" collection of new songs. In this case I'd pick full versions of "Oh My God" and "Silkworms," "Going Down," and "Jackie Chan" since they're the ones that have already been leaked or heard at least partially. Just dub some audience noise over them, haha. But if they were real live versions of already officially released songs? I'd go with "There Was a Time," "Riad N' the Bedouins," vanilla "Oh My God," and "Madagascar". I don't care where you get the first two, but the last half needs to come from the 2001 Rock in Rio performance. The solo for Madagascar at that show was the best I've ever heard, and I kind of liked how "Oh My God" ended with Axl singing the last line to complete silence. I know it was most likely unintentional, but I thought it sounded cool. If I can't pick Riad for legal reasons, then I'd pick "Chinese Democracy" from the same show.

this makes the most sense. Releasing stuff that would otherwise be intended for PART II, on an EP, seems inappropriate.....that said, i want to hear those F'n songs!

Does anybody actually feel that at this point an EP would do it? Hell, a lot of you would probably make a full 180 if they play one new song live.

Personally, I'd consider it a start at best. But it would nowhere near make me change my mind about them. By now they should be able to come up with at least an album. And even then, it'd have Ashba on it. I'd be much more interested in the stuff with Finck and Bucket, before people started ruining it.

The only reason I'd care about a new GnR album (or even song) is because it has Axl on it. But for the rest, big fucking meh.

Just give me the 1998-2008 7-CD 3-DVD box set and do a reunion. Fuck the rest of it.

I'd much rather have the box set as well!!!

But if they band has two albums worth of material basically "finished".........but there is no plan to release it in the next six months, then throw us a bone!!!

If I was in charge of the band I'd go for the Illusions route. Release a double album THIS YEAR. One half could be the CD remains, the second album could be one completely written by the current band (songs that have been written in the last two years).

With one Axl Rose album of original material in the past 20 years, I'm just desperate for anything from the man. (Though I'll admit a remix CD seems like the most idiotic route they could take).

i want to hear soul monster and atlas

sailing for sure, Axl owns that song

& don't let it bring you down

Maddy with that long intro.

IRS

Catcher

Scraped with the frank drum intro.

Quelle long intro for Maddy?

Edited by tange