BUMBLEFOOT: I Really Should Have Paid More Attention To My Solo Career, Even When I Was In GN'R

During a visit to Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates to perform at the launch of the Classic Rock Coffee Company on July 31, GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal spoke about his plans for a new solo album as well as the status of the band's long-awaited follow-up to 2008's "Chinese Democracy".

Asked if it's fair to say that his solo career has taken a backseat once he joined GUNS N' ROSES, Thal told The National: "The solo albums are everything to me and it's really what I do. To be honest, I really should have paid more attention to it, even when I was in GUNS N' ROSES. I should have been touring more and putting more albums than what I did."

Regarding whether he is glad he reconsidered his decision to join GUNS N' ROSES after initially turning down an opportunity to become a part of the group, Thal told Time Out Dubai: "It's a yes-and-no thing. Ultimately, yes, there are a lot of things with it that made life more difficult, but we are supposed to have challenges. If it was easy, then everything would be handed to us. I have definitely learned a lot and I grew a lot. I think I became a better person in the end, or I try to be. I don't regret it."

On the topic of whether he has submitted compositions for GUNS N' ROSES to record for the band's next studio album, Thal told Khaleej Times: "I wanted to get together as a band, I didn't want to submit my songs for the band to play. I wanted the band to write as a band so it would truly be a band. But we're just too busy with touring and other things, and it just didn't happen."

He added: "It's reaching the point where I'm starting to nurture the rest of my life, because I do a lot of other things — and that's really who I am."

GUNS N' ROSES frontman and sole original member Axl Rose recently denied rumors that he was breaking up the band and considering retirement. Responding to a report at RadarOnline.com in which anonymous sources claimed that the group was finished, Rose posted a message at the band's Facebook page which read, "I'm not going anywhere . . . GNR fans sure have a Radar for BS! Love you all!"

Another source claiming to be close to the Rose camp dismissed the report as "bullshit," adding that the members of the band had merely been notified that their calendars would be clear for the immediate future so that they could do other things.

The RadarOnline.com report had suggested that the band would call it a day after finishing up its second Las Vegas residency at the Hard Rock Hotel, which ended on June 7.

The source for RadarOnline.com said, "Band members have been told their calendars are free following Vegas. Axl is considering retiring and it’s done. Band members and support staff were surprised when told the news and are actively looking for work.”

GUNS N' ROSES keyboardist Dizzy Reed recently told Billboard.com about the breakup and retirement rumors: "You know, so much of that crap gets out there, you can't believe any of it. At this point, having been in the band for so long, nothing surprises me. When I hear things like that, I immediately dismiss them until I hear further. I'm never really concerned enough to even ask where it came from, or why, because if it's that important, I'll be getting a phone call."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bumblefoot-i-really-should-have-paid-more-attention-to-my-solo-career-even-when-i-was-in-guns-n-roses/#rD5gHMHdo24m3KvZ.99

Edited by NachoLZ

On the topic of whether he has submitted compositions for GUNS N' ROSES to record for the band's next studio album, Thal told Khaleej Times: "I wanted to get together as a band, I didn't want to submit my songs for the band to play. I wanted the band to write as a band so it would truly be a band. But we're just too busy with touring and other things, and it just didn't happen."

No one alive can put a good spin on this part.

Yeah it just further solidifies how much of a non-entity GNR is nowadays besides live shows. They can't even get together to write music together. I know that the GNR has tons of already recorded tunes apparently "ready to go" (which I sorta doubt anyway) but still no good comes from a band that won't even write music together

Edited by WhazUp

I understand folks drawing the conclusion that BBF is out by him saying "When I was in GNR" and him showing on Facebook being in GNR from 2006-2014.

But really it is still a very vague statement.

I could just mean that he didn't work on his solo stuff like he wanted to while doing his gig with GNR. Which GNR is on cruise control at the moment right now with nothing concrete happening anytime soon and for right now his is a going to work on his solo stuff, clinics and what have you with GNR on a long lay off for a set amount time instead of giving them the usual be close to the phone we could go out at a moments notice.

I really think he is still in GNR if there is a GNR to return too????? Which is could be a possibility with any one of 2 things that could happen it could be Axl retiring or something even more doubtful a reunion, which I think is pretty much impossible. I don't think either will happen but that is the only way BBF is out.

Consider this it could be Axl and BBF having some fun with the fans during the GNR down time because folks hear always bitch and moan when they have no news and when there is news or something vague taken out of context people here still bitch and moan but it is about something.

This is just pure speculation just like everyone one else is doing here.

Edited by bigcountry

Those artist are a bit different because they don't do many side projects at all and as I said it could all be just to fuck with us. Why wouldn't they if they wanted to they take shit posts after shit posts about them here on a daily basis. Could just be a bit of pay back.

There is NO official announcement from anyone and the two things people are picking apart can mean 2 different things but those here always focus on the negative and take nothing more than assumptions and run with them like wild fire.

I still say BBF is in if there is a GNR to return to and until we get an official word BBF is in IMHO. There was nothing official with the statement he made and also posting his service years in GNR on his facebook or whatever.

Edited by bigcountry

'..even when I was in GUNS N' ROSES'

That reads like, he is out of GN'R

I can't see Axl making another album. The previous album took too long to make, and failed to matched the success of previous albums, which made the name GN'R. Atleast Slash is out there keeping it real, and releasing albums, that always contain a handful of good tunes.

So did he pretty much say that in his 8 years in the band, they really never got together and jammed out some new tunes, or even wrote anything? In 8 years? Good god.

That's because they were never really a band, other than a band of hired hands, to prop up the GN'R banner..

Yeah it just further solidifies how much of a non-entity GNR is nowadays besides live shows. They can't even get together to write music together. I know that the GNR has tons of already recorded tunes apparently "ready to go" (which I sorta doubt anyway) but still no good comes from a band that won't even write music together

I dunno, isn't that kinda consistent with what Finck said? (and what was going on even earlier, I'd have to look through the Chinese Whispers excerpts) Joining the band in 06 and expecting the band to jam / rehearse / make music as a unit seems to be kind of unreasonable (at least by nuGnR standards).