Is Axl sincere about releasing more music?

Do you believe Axl genuinely intends to release more music?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think deep down Axl would like to release new music but the problem is he doesn't deal with criticism very well and the whole Chinese Democracy experience - particularly the lukewarm reception that album got - has probably made him gun-shy about releasing anything else from those sessions or recording anything from scratch with the current lineup.

not only the lukewarm the album got, but also the lukewarm reception the songs of CD get whenever played live - I believe that actions speak louder than words, and in that case, the silence of no releases is deafening

• Like 1

"if my intentions are misunderstood, please be kind, I've done all I should. I won't ask of you, what I would not do...oooh ooh...Why would they tell me to please those that laugh in my face when all of the reasons they've taught us fall over themselves to give way. It's not a question of whether my heart is true. What would you say if I told you that I'm to blame? Where would you go if I told you I love you and then walked away. I told you when I found you if there were doubts you should be careful and unafraid. Now they surround you and all that amounts to is love that you fed by perversion and pain. So if my affections are misunderstood and you decide I'm up to no good don't ask me to enjoy them just for you. Ask yourself why would I choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame." -from the book of "prostitute"

Edited by majormayhem

One things clear from all this, we have no idea what is going on, and we're a tad disillusioned and bummed that our favourite band just doesn't operate on any level like a normal band. I think he means it when he says that a new album is his intent, I don't think he will be able to come to an agreement with his record label about the release and I think that will inevitably stop the process totally or slow it down so much when it does come out it's going to be another huge commercial flop because of a hype machine.

• Like 1

Eh, I dunno. Before CD was released he said it was a trilogy, right? Now it's a double. It doesn't seem like it would

be much of a leap or that there would be a barrier to him reeling things in 1 more step and leaving CD as the last GnR

album.

I believe that there's a 2nd album+ worth of material, based on what we know. Whether Axl ever decides to finalize everything and

how long that takes are different matters. Just because Axl doesn't seem to have any fire in his belly now doesn't mean he won't

at some point in the future, though. But yeah, if Brian Wilson can finish Smile after 36 years and the lost footage from Metropolis can

pop up after 80 years then I think there's still hope for the rest of the CD Sessions material.

I think he always had the intention to make new music and release it... problem is that he's too self-conscious and insecure and also its true that a lot is expected from him, so its not like he can write three chords and conform to that. He's expected to write masterpieces, have 4-5 hits per album, he's expected to sing and perform as he had no aged at all. All of those shits dig deep into a person's mind and Axl being the special being he is... well....

If he at least wouldn't have lost the band that made him a rockstar, I think criticism wouldn't be so hard.... but there he is, alone in the jungle, just like when he arrived to L.A. :shrugs:

I just can't help but laugh when I read "Axl said it was a trilogy" :rofl-lol:

But dude, releasing just half of his work is not Axl's style... (as if Axl had a style other than being a childish unpredictable and unprofessional person). :rofl-lol:

Axl talked very recently about having 2 unreleased finished albums. The second half of Chinese, and the remix Chinese. I think he's interested in releasing both of those, cause since the shitstorm of him saying Chinese will come out in 2006, he went quiet so fans wouldn't expect anything.

No reason for him to talk about the finished unreleased stuff now unless he wants to release at least the second half of Chinese.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I'm sure he's going to release new music, but it's just hard for him to let go of CD.

He put his heart into CD. He worked on CD for 14 years, and then toured it another 6 years. That's 20 years of his life, almost 1/4 of it focused on one album. CD was supposed to be GnR's big comeback, it was supposed to shape the future of the music industry. It was supposed to rocket New GnR into a fame that even old GnR couldn't beat. Axl had all the right musicians, equipment, a good title, and good songs, but he blew it. He messed up the 2001 summer tour, he messed up the 2002 North American tour, and he delayed CD to the point where it was impossible to create an album that lived up to the public's expectations. People waited 14 year for a new GnR album, they heard legends in the 90's about Axl's elite new team of musicians, and by the time it came out, the public saw CD, Axl, and GnR as a joke. Had the album came out in 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, or 2004, it would've been received much more positively IMO. By the time the album came out in 2008, half the musicians that worked on it had been out of GnR for years and their parts rerecorded by replacements, and, even the replacements got replaced in some cases. The revolving door of musicians didn't do Axl any favors at all, all it did was make the public think that the break up of GnR was his fault. You had stuff written by Josh Freese, he had been out of the band 9 years when the album came out, his replacement, Brain, was out for 2 years. Bucket had been out for 4 years. Paul Tobias had been out for 7 years. The fact that so many musicians worked on the album really hurt it's quality IMO. I loved CD, but it doesn't feel like a band, it feels like a solo project, and that's mostly because you have such a melting pot of musicians and styles, and because of that there's too much going on. Going Down is a good example of what GnR should do. It sounds like a band, it's rock, it's not over produced.

So, now here's where Axl's at. Does he continue on with the failed CD saga, by releasing another 2 albums and a remix of songs that are now 20 years old, or does he just dump the CD stuff, admit that the last 20 years haven't went the way he had hoped, and get the current lineup to write a whole new album from scratch?

• Like 4

I just can't help but laugh when I read "Axl said it was a trilogy" :rofl-lol:

But dude, releasing just half of his work is not Axl's style... (as if Axl had a style other than being a childish unpredictable and unprofessional person). :rofl-lol:

Axl talked very recently about having 2 unreleased finished albums. The second half of Chinese, and the remix Chinese. I think he's interested in releasing both of those, cause since the shitstorm of him saying Chinese will come out in 2006, he went quiet so fans wouldn't expect anything.

No reason for him to talk about the finished unreleased stuff now unless he wants to release at least the second half of Chinese.

That's how I see it, he has no reason to set himself like that. Saying I have the second half of CD and remix done if he doesn't want to release such things. Why go out like that? Saying I have another record that I can't get out. When it would be better to say that's all folks.

Guess we'll find out in the next 5 years....

I'm sure he's going to release new music, but it's just hard for him to let go of CD.

He put his heart into CD. He worked on CD for 14 years, and then toured it another 6 years. That's 20 years of his life, almost 1/4 of it focused on one album. CD was supposed to be GnR's big comeback, it was supposed to shape the future of the music industry. It was supposed to rocket New GnR into a fame that even old GnR couldn't beat. Axl had all the right musicians, equipment, a good title, and good songs, but he blew it. He messed up the 2001 summer tour, he messed up the 2002 North American tour, and he delayed CD to the point where it was impossible to create an album that lived up to the public's expectations. People waited 14 year for a new GnR album, they heard legends in the 90's about Axl's elite new team of musicians, and by the time it came out, the public saw CD, Axl, and GnR as a joke. Had the album came out in 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, or 2004, it would've been received much more positively IMO. By the time the album came out in 2008, half the musicians that worked on it had been out of GnR for years and their parts rerecorded by replacements, and, even the replacements got replaced in some cases. The revolving door of musicians didn't do Axl any favors at all, all it did was make the public think that the break up of GnR was his fault. You had stuff written by Josh Freese, he had been out of the band 9 years when the album came out, his replacement, Brain, was out for 2 years. Bucket had been out for 4 years. Paul Tobias had been out for 7 years. The fact that so many musicians worked on the album really hurt it's quality IMO. I loved CD, but it doesn't feel like a band, it feels like a solo project, and that's mostly because you have such a melting pot of musicians and styles, and because of that there's too much going on. Going Down is a good example of what GnR should do. It sounds like a band, it's rock, it's not over produced.

So, now here's where Axl's at. Does he continue on with the failed CD saga, by releasing another 2 albums and a remix of songs that are now 20 years old, or does he just dump the CD stuff, admit that the last 20 years haven't went the way he had hoped, and get the current lineup to write a whole new album from scratch?

Get where you're coming from but there's a theory that CD is only and only ever was those 12/14 songs. There was spin off material but its not really CD. I don't know I like the idea of CD II. I think they might have put some more electronic stuff aside for more of a rock record? Around 2000 they probably had more electronica ideas bouncing around. But honing it down to GNR sounding stuff may limit it going forward. But Axl was only ever making one real album really? You could present it in different ways. Turns out it was in the end a double cd set, which we got part 1 of. It's kind of going according to plan.

The delays weren't all Axl fault. The first one was accepted by everyone. Live Era. Axl was ready to mix in 2000 and was told it wasn't ready. This is after the rerecord with RTB. That probably took a couple years to regroup and then by 2004 label gave Axl ultimatum release it or they put GH out. They were cut off and bucket quit. But I see how it got to 2004 pretty easily. With 2 GNR releases in there.

I think it's so far from being a solo album with so many writers in it: Finck, Freese, bucket, Tommy, Tobias, Dizzy and Pitman. There's only one solo song from Axl, This I Love.

I think it's more that CD is a unique blend of styles. We don't see the mix of various styles on AFD or UYI because they are more common, they Blend more easily. double talking Jive/Nov Rain. It's hard rock, classic rock. But CD is like 90s Alt rock meets classic rock and it's like what the fuck. Even though its pretty simple on paper, it's weird for GNR. If you listened to Angel Dust by Faith No More then Tumbleweed Connection back to back we'd be prepared. But who is really ready for that? But I think it holds together pretty well. True it's double the scope and doesn't have much of the hard rock GNR was built on but it's not a solo record. It's made by a GNR collective in the style of those 90s bands like NIN and QOTSA not far from the UYI band that made UYI in a way.

I feel like we might be getting a better more focused product than the string of albums starting in 2000. Which could have ended in 2008. We could have 3 albums now but with the band over. I think we have another coming with remix album to finish off with. Can't say it's been a smooth ride but here we are!

Edited by wasted

He is definitely honest, which is the scary part

I think when he says it he believes. Then things change like Ron leaves and he has to decide what to do. Honestly I think now this second half must be soild and we've seen how little a difference a different a guitarist playing the parts makes to the show. I'm just relieved Axl wasn't saying he was looking for an advance to maybe rerecord some material and write some new material for a new record. CD II seems much more feasible and pragmatic. Not sure where the label are on all this?

Without sounding too much like an arrogant cunt, some of you need to get a grip.

Do I believe Axl would like to release some more music at some point? Yes. But do I believe there's a just as big part of him that doesn't want to deal with the hassle? Oh yeah. If it flops/fails, and he has to deal with the "See, I told you he ain't shit without Slash" escapades again (which even to him has to be a very real possibility) it's gonna further destroy what little confidence he has left. In part, I think he's a bit scared. Probably better off for his mental health if he just continues viva la retirement like he probably will.

In that revolver interview, it seemed to me that he looks at another new album as such a secondary objective compared to the very gung-ho stance he had years ago, and I think the above reasonings are huge as to why.

And obviously, the label. They're never gonna pump anymore money into Axl than they absolutely have to. Unless it revolves a reunion or nostalgia. Plain and simple. And honestly who can blame them? On top of the stunt Axl pulled last time around, no matter what anyone says, the biggest reason cd had as much sales endurance as it did was because of the mysterious vibes. "First gnr album in over a decade!" "Most expensive album ever made!l "I wonder what it'll sound like without Slash!". There's NONE of that this time. The only people who care, are us. Which is pretty nothing overall.

The label ain't gonna get out of its recliner for a comeback album that sounds a whole lot like the last comeback album that crashed and burned.

Axl wants a spectacle surrounding the new nu album. The label lols. Wash, rinse, repeat.

It's like warner (?) bending over backwards for another Gary Cherone fronted Van Halen album. Never gonna happen.

So yeah, all those things considered, I can't possibly see us getting new nu music unless the label can milk it as "Axl's Final Years!" sadly. Or if it leaks. Just a smidge more likely to happen than a reunion. And, well, better luck getting struck by lighting and attacked by a shark at the same time.

Good luck to those still hoping though. I genuinely do hope I'm wrong. I just highly, highly doubt I am.

• Like 1

I understand your reluctance, to get involved in something you want that may never happen. We definitely need to reconcile it never happening. But it's not out of the question. One main reason is I doubt Axl wants to go out like?

CD proved that they can sell 3 mil world wide without much promo. It was the touring that sold it not the hype. To the label that's 20 mil/30 mil for nothing as it's in the can. They don't need to put much into promo.

CD's decent success should have settled Axl down in a way. More of the same is going to get a good reaction. People appreciate quality, even if GNR die hards are fighting it out in the aisles. I'm not saying a bomb, like a complete disaster is a great idea, but a solid release and more touring, even if to add some songs to the set for an eventual release in 2018.

I'm sure Axl understands the landscape and probably can see they landed on their feet for the most part. CD took the hit and had the songs to deal with the situation. Chi Dem, Better, SOD, TIL, Prostitute, TWAT, Catcher, Madagascar shining through.

If they have material as solid as CD they need to get it out. Axl and GNR are way past petty sales figures, especially with no one really selling much. It's just a matter of getting the material out and touring the best live songs to get it out to people.

The road is clear all the way to horizon!

Edited by wasted

You Ain't The First (To Think That Axl's Gonna Release New Music)

It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't. I just think he has another record based on what he said. If he puts it out then it's over right? Maybe the label wants another Wal Mart style deal.

I understand your reluctance, to get involved in something you want that may never happen. We definitely need to reconcile it never happening. But it's not out of the question. One main reason is I doubt Axl wants to go out like?

CD proved that they can sell 3 mil world wide without much promo. It was the touring that sold it not the hype. To the label that's 20 mil/30 mil for nothing as it's in the can. They don't need to put much into promo.

CD's decent success should have settled Axl down in a way. More of the same is going to get a good reaction. People appreciate quality, even if GNR die hards are fighting it out in the aisles. I'm not saying a bomb, like a complete disaster is a great idea, but a solid release and more touring, even if to add some songs to the set for an eventual release in 2018.

I'm sure Axl understands the landscape and probably can see they landed on their feet for the most part. CD took the hit and had the songs to deal with the situation. Chi Dem, Better, SOD, TIL, Prostitute, TWAT, Catcher, Madagascar shining through.

If they have material as solid as CD they need to get it out. Axl and GNR are way past petty sales figures, especially with no one really selling much. It's just a matter of getting the material out and touring the best live songs to get it out to people.

The road is clear all the way to horizon!

My guess is, Axl is going to release CD ll and maybe even the remixed Chinese in the next 2 to 5 years, and tour his ass off. It won't sell crazy numbers, but if it's anything like Chinese musically, people will dig it and know the songs from the shows. Ain't so bad, and for us hardcore new Guns fans, pretty fuckin' badass.

Edited by Rovim

I think Axl gets discouraged with his record company and all the people who try to tell him what he should do and when he should do it.

He seemed upset by having a time stamp on releasing new music. He obviously doesn't like to be told what to do when it comes to GNR music.

I can understand it because there wasn't much promotion when CD was actually released and it hardly got any air play and no videos were made for any of the songs.

Since Axl and most of the band have said there is music done or will be done, I guess in time something might be released, but who knows?

I don't dwell on it. I love the GNR music that's released and never tire of the songs, so if Axl were to release new music that would be cool, but I would hope it got the respect and promotion it should get or what's the point?

Without sounding too much like an arrogant cunt, some of you need to get a grip.

Do I believe Axl would like to release some more music at some point? Yes. But do I believe there's a just as big part of him that doesn't want to deal with the hassle? Oh yeah. If it flops/fails, and he has to deal with the "See, I told you he ain't shit without Slash" escapades again (which even to him has to be a very real possibility) it's gonna further destroy what little confidence he has left. In part, I think he's a bit scared. Probably better off for his mental health if he just continues viva la retirement like he probably will.

In that revolver interview, it seemed to me that he looks at another new album as such a secondary objective compared to the very gung-ho stance he had years ago, and I think the above reasonings are huge as to why.

And obviously, the label. They're never gonna pump anymore money into Axl than they absolutely have to. Unless it revolves a reunion or nostalgia. Plain and simple. And honestly who can blame them? On top of the stunt Axl pulled last time around, no matter what anyone says, the biggest reason cd had as much sales endurance as it did was because of the mysterious vibes. "First gnr album in over a decade!" "Most expensive album ever made!l "I wonder what it'll sound like without Slash!". There's NONE of that this time. The only people who care, are us. Which is pretty nothing overall.

The label ain't gonna get out of its recliner for a comeback album that sounds a whole lot like the last comeback album that crashed and burned.

Axl wants a spectacle surrounding the new nu album. The label lols. Wash, rinse, repeat.

It's like warner (?) bending over backwards for another Gary Cherone fronted Van Halen album. Never gonna happen.

So yeah, all those things considered, I can't possibly see us getting new nu music unless the label can milk it as "Axl's Final Years!" sadly. Or if it leaks. Just a smidge more likely to happen than a reunion. And, well, better luck getting struck by lighting and attacked by a shark at the same time.

Good luck to those still hoping though. I genuinely do hope I'm wrong. I just highly, highly doubt I am.

what if he doesn't give a shit anymore just release at some point in the next 3-4 years?

a potential 30th anniversary of the brandname is coming, just sayin'

he basically lose his stamina and his trademark voice and not getting much younger...

i think he will just drop it from 3-4 years from now on...

then tour until 2020-21, then retire