Has Slash Surpassed His Idol, Joe Perry, in Terms of Guitar Playing?

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Perry has Walk this Way, last child, eat the rich, walking the dog, living on the edge, rag doll, back in the saddle, cryin, I could go on and on. Yes Slash has some great riffs as well, but imo Perry has more.

Honestly I would rank Perry as the 3rd best riff writer behind Page and Angus/Malcom. Speaking of which how does slash compare to Angus?

So you'd rank Joe Perry higher than Tony Iommi, for starters? No thanks. Edited by EvH
  • Like 2

Perry has Walk this Way, last child, eat the rich, walking the dog, living on the edge, rag doll, back in the saddle, cryin, I could go on and on. Yes Slash has some great riffs as well, but imo Perry has more.

Honestly I would rank Perry as the 3rd best riff writer behind Page and Angus/Malcom. Speaking of which how does slash compare to Angus?

So you'd rank Joe Perry higher than Tony Iommi, for starters? No thanks.

Ya I actually would, I've never been a huge BS guy. I mean I like them and all, but their not my fav by any means. Walk this way and eat the rich are two of the filthiest riffs ever written, if take those over anything in Sabbath discography. But of course it's all subjective.

• Like 1

If we are talking just about riffs, don't forget that Slash has MANY great riffs outside of Guns. Even if the songs aren't that strong, the riffs are.

I have to just say that without joe perry there would be no slash whatsoever, but as far as both skill and creative output is concerned I have to say that slash has definitely surprassed joe in guitar playing and will undoubtedly have a much longer and respected legacy in the music world. Joe perry is good and laid the foundation that slash built his career upon, but slashs playing is just brilliant and much much more iconic of rock n roll.

Edited by RockerRoller

I have to just say that without joe perry there would be no slash whatsoever, but as far as both skill and creative output is concerned I have to say that slash has definitely surprassed joe in guitar playing and will undoubtedly have a much longer and respected legacy in the music world. Joe perry is good and laid the foundation that slash built his career upon, but slashs playing is just brilliant and much much more iconic of rock n roll.

However method they did though, it is true that Aerosmith handled their career much better than Guns N' Roses. With the exception of the 1979-1984 'interregnum', they have maintained a stable line-up and overcome many similar problems as GN'R such as consistent band member drug abuse and rampant egotism, to become a valid rock entity again - something you cannot say about Guns N' Roses. The periods c.1973-c.78 and c.1987-c.2000 were hugely successful commercially, if not always critically. Few bands have done what Aerosmith have done and essentially, had a second chance.

Yes though, there was a huge element of selling out in regards to their second era, the 'song fixers', soppy ballads and Silverstone videos.

All this talk about which one is better, Joe or Slash, really made me want to listen to Aerosmith, not Guns or Slash. So I guess, Joe is better :D

j/k

But why indeed Ashba has more votes than Joe?

Edited by jekylhyde

Ya I actually would, I've never been a huge BS guy. I mean I like them and all, but their not my fav by any means. Walk this way and eat the rich are two of the filthiest riffs ever written, if take those over anything in Sabbath discography. But of course it's all subjective.

Iommi's riffs are better than Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, Slash or Joe Perry or Angus Young's combined

All this talk about which one is better, Joe or Slash, really made me want to listen to Aerosmith, not Guns or Slash. So I guess, Joe is better :D

j/k

"they see me trollin', they hatin'"

• Like 1

Iommi's riffs are better than Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, Slash or Joe Perry or Angus Young's combined

j/k

"they see me trollin', they hatin'"

Tony Iommi is simply the riff lord. :)

Better is such a relative term. Slash is faster, more technically sound, and makes the better solos. But that's not all that makes one "better". Honestly riff for riff, Perry has produced far more memorable riffs than Slash has. Slash has made some great riffs as well, especially scom and jungle. But most of gnrs best riffs were izzy not slash. While in Aerosmith most of their best riffs were Perry. So if we were to really add up the best riffs here, I do think Perry would beat Slash, so again who is "better"?

Slash always has killer riffs, much more so than joe Perry

Slash and Joe Perry are comparable guitarists. Although I like Joe's riffs a little bit more, Slash' solo's are better.

But boy, is Joe Perry sloppy. Even sloppier than Slash. I was surprised how many dead notes he plays in recent shows.