Has Slash Surpassed His Idol, Joe Perry, in Terms of Guitar Playing?

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In terms of technical ability? Slash probably has the slight edge, but they're both pretty similar players and neither of them are really known for that.

Just don't forget that there wouldn't be a Slash if there was no Joe Perry first... ;)

• Like 4

In terms of technical ability? Slash probably has the slight edge, but they're both pretty similar players and neither of them are really known for that.

Just don't forget that there wouldn't be a Slash if there was no Joe Perry first... ;)

Great comment.

Slash might be a better player technically, but I think Joe's playing is more interesting. His riffs and solos are laid back, a bit sloppy even. His playing is 110% blues rock. But Slash has really good ear for melodies and riffs too. It's hard to say which one is better. Personally I like Joe more.

I'm an Aerosmith fan, but Joe Perry isn't really special. He does a good job as a guitarist but rarely dazzles.

I can't think of a single memorable solo from Joe Perry.

Off the top of my head Kings And Queens, Amazing, One Way Street. But you're right, he tends to do pretty simple, straightforward stuff.

Is Joe Perry Slash's real father???

Better is such a relative term. Slash is faster, more technically sound, and makes the better solos. But that's not all that makes one "better". Honestly riff for riff, Perry has produced far more memorable riffs than Slash has. Slash has made some great riffs as well, especially scom and jungle. But most of gnrs best riffs were izzy not slash. While in Aerosmith most of their best riffs were Perry. So if we were to really add up the best riffs here, I do think Perry would beat Slash, so again who is "better"?

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

Perry has Walk this Way, last child, eat the rich, walking the dog, living on the edge, rag doll, back in the saddle, cryin, I could go on and on. Yes Slash has some great riffs as well, but imo Perry has more.

Honestly I would rank Perry as the 3rd best riff writer behind Page and Angus/Malcom. Speaking of which how does slash compare to Angus?

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Aerosmith is an amazing band and ive always looked up to them, even Slash has looked up to them and has a lot of respect for Joe. He has composed many good guitar parts, but when it comes to playing live, most of the solo's are done by Brad Whitford, both of them are different guitarists, but if you seek my opinion, I would say Slash is pretty much ahead of Joe in terms of playing and even composing.