Why Slash deserves and has so much more respect in 2015 compared to Axl.

Slash has still been in the public eye after GNR's split.

Axl has always been seen as the one who has wanted to control everything and Slash just this laid back guy who wanted to play guitar.

Do you think GNR would have gotten so huge if it were up to Slash. They all bitched about how GNR had to be Axl's way, well, they all benefited by GNR's success.

GNR isn't the only band who made it so big that they eventually had to break up. It happens but ever since then it's like Slash's the good boy and Axl's the bad boy. Whatever! I'm sick of hearing it.

Axl does whatever the hell he wants. Be happy for the amazing GNR music. All the shit Axl went through with his emotions and drepression back in the day, he deserves to just chill now.

Plenty of my favorite musicians have either quit, died and just don't make as much music as they did in their early years. I respect that. I'm glad for the time they gave to their fans. Doesn't everyone deserve a little rest and time off from the craziness of the touring?

Axl knows he and the rest of the original GNR will never be as HUGE as they once were, if they are satisfied with it, we should be too.

I mean they are all getting paid for GNR, I'm sure they are all happy about that.

The way you twist things to make Axl look good and portray Slash as the bad guy is rather shocking.

Lol. You are sick of the way the music world has portrayed Axl and Slash. Really? Why do you think that has happened. Over a 30 year period. Maybe because the stereotypes of the two are TRUE representations of who they are? Lol you might try taking off your Rose colored glasses and looking at what has actually happened during the bands career.

And saying if Slash was in control that the band wouldn't have functioned. Wow. Slash has released 96 songs in the same period that Axl has released 15.

Slash showed up for every concert, rehearsal and jam/writing session with the classic line-up. Did Axl??????

Why can't Axl keep a band together? His best friend Izzy walked out on him. How many other guys since then? Slash. Duff. Adler. Gilby. Sorum. Bucket. Robin. Bumble. Hmmm notice a pattern there?

Lol. Axl does whatever the hell he wants. And that's what YOU like about him

To bad he didn't or doesn't "want" to show up to shows on time, write-practice-rehearse with his band, keep a band together, keep his fans up to date and most of all: share music with his fans.

Hell of an idol you got there Val

In fairness, Gilby, Adler and Sorum were fired.

Slash has still been in the public eye after GNR's split.

Axl has always been seen as the one who has wanted to control everything and Slash just this laid back guy who wanted to play guitar.

Do you think GNR would have gotten so huge if it were up to Slash. They all bitched about how GNR had to be Axl's way, well, they all benefited by GNR's success.

GNR isn't the only band who made it so big that they eventually had to break up. It happens but ever since then it's like Slash's the good boy and Axl's the bad boy. Whatever! I'm sick of hearing it.

Axl does whatever the hell he wants. Be happy for the amazing GNR music. All the shit Axl went through with his emotions and drepression back in the day, he deserves to just chill now.

Plenty of my favorite musicians have either quit, died and just don't make as much music as they did in their early years. I respect that. I'm glad for the time they gave to their fans. Doesn't everyone deserve a little rest and time off from the craziness of the touring?

Axl knows he and the rest of the original GNR will never be as HUGE as they once were, if they are satisfied with it, we should be too.

I mean they are all getting paid for GNR, I'm sure they are all happy about that.

They all benefited from what they all did as a band. There were always five guys on stage and five guys writing songs. Geffen Records hired a band of five guys. They all contribute to make the band big.

They all bitched about how GNR had to be Axl's way, well, they all benefited by GNR's success.

It wasn't Axl's way. Axl wanted it his way but in the end, they all reached a middle to work things out (i.e. the UYIs: "You play in my songs, I sing in yours."), until they couldn't. Also, they did not "benefit" from Gn'R success because that was their own success as well.

I know it's kind of hard for you to understand simple facts by just looking at the horrid state of the band today, but that doesn't mean that when REAL Guns were around, they worked that way.

• Like 1

Only a lunatic would argue that Axl/Axl's GNR deserves respect compared to Slash.

Like most of us, I'm actually "in Axl's camp" - as in he is the guy I most want/wanted to hear music from- but the track record speaks for itself.

I think Axl is way more interesting creatively than Slash but I find Slash more interesting as a person than I do Axl.

I can imagine myself having a long conversation with Slash and I've got many questions I'd like to ask him, some he's maybe not been asked before. Whether he'd answer them or not is another thing. But at least I can imagine conversing with him and him not going into a tirade against me. Axl... I wouldn't even go there. I find much of how he's conducted himself over the years just exhausting and exasperating.

Does Slash actually deserve more respect than Axl? Not necessarily. They've both earned respect in different ways and lost it in different ways. It's just that Slash is more able to conduct himself on a day-to-day basis in a way that's socially acceptable and is more media-friendly whereas Axl is often fighting others or his own 'stuff.' I'm sorry for him for that.

I imagine it to be the other way around. Slash by his own admission isn't a big talker, he plays the PR game well but I get the impression he wouldn't be into talking shit for hours. Axl on the other hand will reportedly chat candidly for hours with a vast array of people (if you catch him right place, time and mood).

I just was gonna say that, from what I have heard when Axl is in a good mood, then he will talk to you for hours and be very friendly and when he is pissed at you then he will hate you to death, If I was hanging around with both of them then I would assume that Axl would talk normally and have funny talks with me for hours rather than Slash, I assume Slash will just talk from point to point, whereas with Axl you can have a nice chat about random things

Ah, I am talking about a fantasy scenario, I guess! I mean, if I was stuck on a desert island with Slash (be still my beating heart) for some considerable time then he'd have to talk to me eventually - and hopefully not 'shit'. Presumably he does talk to some people who he is close to (such as Marc) with some amount of depth. I agree that Axl would be more talkative but I'd be too scared of him on that desert island!

Only a lunatic would argue that Axl/Axl's GNR deserves respect compared to Slash.

Like most of us, I'm actually "in Axl's camp" - as in he is the guy I most want/wanted to hear music from- but the track record speaks for itself.

Definitely. Back in the day when I was still listening to Guns N' Roses using my discman, I was more interested in Axl's songs rather than whatever Slash and the rest were up to. With the promise of nuGuns and the glorious musicians Buckethead and Finck were, I had this 'stupid' idea of waiting for something that would blow my mind.

I, like many others, couldn't find that even if we waited years, so I slowly started paying attention to what those who left Guns N' Roses were doing and to my surprise, they were doing good songs, playing their material live, no bitterness and stupid isolation, no crybaby rants during shows, no late starts, no bullshit, they were just being musicians making music and - specially - making their fans happy.

• Like 2

Definitely. Back in the day when I was still listening to Guns N' Roses using my discman, I was more interested in Axl's songs rather than whatever Slash and the rest were up to. With the promise of nuGuns and the glorious musicians Buckethead and Finck were, I had this 'stupid' idea of waiting for something that would blow my mind.

I, like many others, couldn't find that even if we waited years, so I slowly started paying attention to what those who left Guns N' Roses were doing and to my surprise, they were doing good songs, playing their material live, no bitterness and stupid isolation, no crybaby rants during shows, no late starts, no bullshit, they were just being musicians making music and - specially - making their fans happy.

Personally, I figured things were fucked once Axl & Slash had split - those two just seem to be two halves of the same sonic coin - they were made for each other.

All the others that have come along since have only served to prove that to me.

I wanted those guys to evolve their sound but never separate.

I wanted those guys to evolve their sound but never separate.

I think that's what Axl wanted as well. Not sure if Slash was into it though.

Yeah, by basically not showing up to rehearsals, not speaking to them directly but using his managers on his behalf, etc. I know Axl isn't the asshole he has portrayed himself to be but sometimes, he really tries to fit that criteria.

Slash is great and respecta himself n fans properly. 7 albums since 1995 or so. Thats what Artists do, share their Art. Wish we could say the same from Axl.

By the way any chance GNR soundtrack on Terminator Genesis??????

Axl is the last rocker. I love and respect him more with what he does, and to most people, he doesnt :)

Saying Axl was not that necessary for GNR is pretty strange tho. No one would give a fuck to the band without Axl during the 87-94 period.

He by no means is a perfectionist. He has no production skills and should have never come close to a synth or drum machine.

Holy god, yes. Axl has no remarkable talent with digital audio workstations. Don't tell me he's all locked up tweaking automations and compression ratios or playing with reverb predelays.

Audio engineering is a very exacting science and art, which requires huge amounts of discipline and focus. Axl doesn't exactly fit this bill.

It always irks me when people try to paint this image of Axl hard at work at the controls of a workstation.

Axl definitely shoots himself in the foot (late starts, no publicity, not rehearsing, extremely slow to release not just new music, but DVDs, etc.). Slash does the opposite of all this. But having said all of that, I'll always be way more interested in what Axl does, when he finally gets around to doing it.

Slash releases music, shows up on time, plays shows, and does publicity, but when Axl actually does those things, and goes all in, there's almost no one better.

They all bitched about how GNR had to be Axl's way, well, they all benefited by GNR's success.

It wasn't Axl's way. Axl wanted it his way but in the end, they all reached a middle to work things out (i.e. the UYIs: "You play in my songs, I sing in yours."), until they couldn't. Also, they did not "benefit" from Gn'R success because that was their own success as well.

I know it's kind of hard for you to understand simple facts by just looking at the horrid state of the band today, but that doesn't mean that when REAL Guns were around, they worked that way.

Exactly.

Crazy how some people give Axl ALL the Credit for what the classic line up achieved.

Since Slash and Duff left how has GnR performed over the last 20 years?

But hey. Axl does whatever the hell he wants. While Slash is evil because he puts out music, plays ping pong tournaments and performs with lots of different artists. Thank God that Axl didn't go that route.

It just wouldn't be the same if Axl was a sell out and fan whore. I'm glad he has only released one album, rarely updates fans and doesn't your that often. Fans don't want any of that.

Axl is the last rocker. I love and respect him more with what he does, and to most people, he doesnt :)

How so?

He doesn't out out music for his fans do enjoy.

Rarely updates his fans on his plans.

Occasionally tours.

How in the world does that make him the last rocker? Dude has basically retired from the music industry and treats GnR like a seldom used hobby.

I seriously don't get your love for that.

By praising Axl for his "rocking" ways then you are also saying you are glad be isn't the opposite of what he is. Wouldn't Axl be more of a "rocker" if he released music for his fans to enjoy and toured more often?

Maybe your definition of a "rocker" is different than the rest of the world's.

I truly believe that neither of them are worthy of any "praise" for anything they've done since 1996.

just out of curiosity, if you haven't enjoyed anything that either of them have done since 1996, why are you on this forum? I am not trying to be a dick at all, i really am curious

I truly believe that neither of them are worthy of any "praise" for anything they've done since 1996.

just out of curiosity, if you haven't enjoyed anything that either of them have done since 1996, why are you on this forum? I am not trying to be a dick at all, i really am curious

I didn't say I haven't enjoyed anything either of them have done. I just don't think anything they've accomplished with worthy of praise per se.

The bottom line in today's media saturated world is that the truth about you eventually gets out there. Employees, exes, record company staff who got fired...all of them can tell the world about your bullshit in seconds.

You'd have to be a dumbass to believe Axl's case is all smoke and no fire - a gigantic cross organisational conspiracy against him to bring him down.

The guy is obviously (for a great majority of his time at least), pretty much impossible to work and live with.

Those that work and live with him now are paid contractually to do so. That is a sobering thought for the man who was once the world's greatest lead singer to walk upon a stage.

Slash just does what any normal musician does - works at his craft. He appears to understand how to be a gentleman and a boss and peace reigns in his professional world. The only reason this is so noteworthy is due to the utterly baffling contrast his old sparring partner presents.

Even me, an old dumbass down the bottom of a forum could have dreamt up a dozen different ways Axl could have stayed relevant, respected and popular between the years of 1996 and 2006. Solo albums, stripped back acoustic tours, electronia albums under a different name, collaborations with his favourite musicians...a million ways to promote Axl Rose and his talent without blowing up Guns N Roses.

It is the bewildering array of options Axl could have chosen to prove his scope as a songwriter but didn't that annoys me the most. In contrast, Slash came back from being an alcoholic has-been playing club shows with his drugged out solo band to a global legend and rock elder statesman who is as much in demand as ever. There are not many guitar players who can say they did that.

So for me, yes Slash gets the nod over Axl but really...these's no winners here..just missed opportunities.

the best post in this thread.

• Like 1

Slash may have only created a few tracks that flicker any interest within me compared to his GNR contributions but he does deserve infinitely more respect than Axl for at least fucking striving to move along and explore and conjure up different and new territory... now I personally believe Chinese Democracy is an amazing album, GNR, well, it's obviously Axl plus Buckethead and Finck and some input from Pitman, Stinson and Brain, but it's still a phenomenal and whacked out journey of ambition and blood, sweat and stardust or whatever. This is what happens when Axl applies himself out of the comfort zone or lines of dusty trenches or whatever the heck forlorn ''block'' he has. The 2009 tour was stupendous and ought've been a sane end to the years of touring pre-release but we got several more, nice to see but in effect, pointless and repetitive, diluted tours... at least Slash is being productive and constantly working on things, now I am a quality over quantity guy, but I'm not an ''inspiration strikes when it feels like'' believer either, he could've released a trilogy fucking easily, a very good one, with the resources, time and personnel he's had.

Edited by RandallFlagg