Things about the GNR story that still make no sense to you..

I think every conceivable thought, theory (conspiracy and others), opinion and known fact has been aired out here at some stage with positions taken ranging from apathetic and disconnected to rabid and delusional - all committed to writing (which is a glorious thing all in all).

There are very few of us left who put any time into GNR in this way. I hardly know why I do it myself any more.

I'd be interested to know what questions still puzzle you about how things went down in GNR land or what things that happened make still make no sense to you - despite reading so much here.

Are there still mysteries left to be solved, even to guys like Marc or can most of what went on be simply put into the "too much too quickly" cautionary tale category?

Edited by Intercourse
  • Like 2

If you accept the fact Axl is not a stable human being, that all of them were young in old Guns, had big egos, came from nothing to the top and had trouble dealing with it, it makes sense, even if we don't know all the small details.

• Like 2

None of it makes any sense - but it's made no sense for so long that that has become the norm. The best and probably truest response to every reasonable query is 'because Axl'.

Why no TV appearances or magazine interviews to promote CD?

Because Axl.

Why take 7 years and counting to put out any new music if you have 20+ songs finished?

Because Axl.

Why is nothing happening this year?

Because Axl.

Why no reunion?

Because Axl.

You get the idea.

• Like 2

If you accept the fact Axl is not a stable human being, that all of them were young in old Guns, had big egos, came from nothing to the top and had trouble dealing with it, it makes sense, even if we don't know all the small details.

Even if you accept Axl is stable, I still think the outcome makes sense. Mental stability is a relative thing. Let's not forget where many of these guys came from and how they ended up with each other. Not the most conducive to a long and stable life or career.

I have a question about the Illusions tour, maybe a stupid one: How can a person on tour constantly, begin a new relationship, buy a new house and end a relationship while in the middle of a tour?

Extreme multi tasking leading to burnout?

How do they have so few offspring between them? Even Aerosmith and the Stones have had a few paternity suits.

• Like 2

I think every conceivable thought, theory (conspiracy and others), opinion and known fact has been aired out here at some stage with positions taken ranging from apathetic and disconnected to rabid and delusional - all committed to writing (which is a glorious thing all in all).

There are very few of us left who put any time into GNR in this way. I hardly know why I do it myself any more.

I'd be interested to know what questions still puzzle you about how things went down in GNR land or what things that happened make still make no sense to you - despite reading so much here.

Are there still mysteries left to be solved, even to guys like Marc or can most of what went on be simply put into the "too much too quickly" cautionary tale category?

To me maybe the biggest mystery is what happened to Axl between 1989 and 1991? I think that´s the key to many events that took place during the UYI Tour and everything that happpened later until this point.

Before 1989 Axl wrtote a recorded songs with the rest of the band. He showed up on time ( at least to some degree) to shows. He was a band mate after all.. He didn´t care about expensive videos. He would give interviews to magazines or MTV. He didn´t have an entourage keeping him away from the rest of the world and he didn´t need a nanny to take care of him.

To me maybe the biggest mystery is what happened to Axl between 1989 and 1991? I think that´s the key to many events that took place during the UYI Tour and everything that happpened later until this point.

Before 1989 Axl wrtote a recorded songs with the rest of the band. He showed up on time ( at least to some degree) to shows. He was a band mate after all.. He didn´t care about expensive videos. He would give interviews to magazines or MTV. He didn´t have an entourage keeping him away from the rest of the world and he didn´t need a nanny to take care of him.

Axl went through marriage, then divorce, allegations of abuse. The Donnington incident and the one in a million release hurt Axl's image in the media, Axl became reclusive to doing a lot of interviews. He began to see the ugly side of the music buisness, he started working with therapist and psychologist. The band became distant, UYI was done in pieces not together.

Izzy was probably ready to leave, Slash and Duff weren't looking so great, Adler was suing Axl.

I think a lot started happening for Axl after they got famous and he wasn't hiding in drugs and alcohol, he was trying to handle it and couldn't grasp it really.

I'm more interested in questions about early 2000's. Mainly how or why his voice became so clean and high

• Like 3

I don't ask this myself but I have one for Axl apologists. If the old band was so problematic, why didn't NuGNR succeed? Axl had EVERYTHING in his hands to make it work and it didn't. Why is that?

Axl din't even wanted to do the illusions tour in the first place, if it was in Axl's hands then CD wouldnt have even been released, the conclusion is that Axl is a lazy person who doesn't cares, he thinks his fans are fools, people who follow him now, I wont call them fans cause Axl doesn't treats them like fans, Axl thinks that these fools will come to my show, give money, wait for 3 hours and even leave if I dont show up.

Rather than certain "mysteries," I'd be more inclined to have an introspective book or documentary released on the making of Chinese Democracy. We've never heard Paul Tobias' account of what went on. With most bands you get "the story of..." and so far, the story feels far from complete. Certainly some pieces have been explored by third-parties (Rolling Stone, Spin, other media outlets), but nothing directly from the guys involved (though Brain has had some great insights on the subject).

• Like 1

All of my questions center on 2002 - Present day.

I think stuff with the old band can be chalked up to egos, drugs & alcohol addiction, greedy hanger-ons, insane levels of success, creative difference. They fell apart for all of the obvious reasons (plus the unique personalities that makes GN'R so great).

But 2002, man:

Why out of breath at the VMAs?

Why not change up the setlist?

Why not release the album sooner?

Why not consider listing it as a solo act?

Where the fuck were you in Philly? (Still not fully satisfied with the explanation, though it did clear it up a bit).

What went on between 02 & 06?

What was the dynamic really like that caused Bucket to quit?

Did Finck's departure make Axl go "fuck this" and phone it in?

• Like 1

Even if you accept Axl is stable, I still think the outcome makes sense. Mental stability is a relative thing. Let's not forget where many of these guys came from and how they ended up with each other. Not the most conducive to a long and stable life or career.

True. But Duff, Izzy and Slash have managed to have long productive careers in the music business. And they were supposed to be the real problems with "hurting" the GnR band back in the day.

the biggest mystery to me is WHY did Axl fight so hard to keep the GnR name/brand if he was just going to treat it as an occasional hobby?

And why sit on so much "completed" music? One album in 16 years is bad enough, but ten times worse when you factor in that people (from Axl to Beta to other band members) have talked about (on average) about 40 other songs being done, Axl himself said that he had two albums in the can.........plus you have band members like DJ and BBF and Bucket/Robin being creative guys that write a lot and that WANTED to record new music with Axl................why sit on all that music?

It's like being a 20-year-old kid who is 6-foot-10, can dribble like Alan Iverson, can shoot like Larry Bird, can dunk like Dr. J........being picked number one in the draft and given a 20-million dollar a year contract...........but then you decide NOT to play and instead stay home and twitter about cats and elephants and just play an occasional game at the outdoor hoops at the local park.

Edited by Apollo
  • Like 3

another question about Axl himself is, did his failed marriage and relationships caused him so much pain and no trust in love no more to form the reason why he didn't find new love and didn't get married, no children? i wonder if the next album will still feature songs about Stephanie....

• Like 1

another question about Axl himself is, did his failed marriage and relationships caused him so much pain and no trust in love no more to form the reason why he didn't find new love and didn't get married, no children? i wonder if the next album will still feature songs about Stephanie....

His only true love was Erin, he had many gf's before and after, but he never made a decision to marry them, I guess he saw a good future with Erin, when he was with Steph, both of them were just passing their times, but as Axl became a father figure to her son, then he thought it would be better to get married and settle down in life, but well things din't work out, so I guess that lost his trust in true love, he is just enjoying his life and doesn't wants to have a steady relationship, My Advice would be that it would be great if he gets back with Erin, she has been posting things about him and even went to the show, Erin has such a sweet daughter, Axl would be a good father figure to her, but well I know they wont get back together cause of many reasons and I guess one of those reasons is TB.

True. But Duff, Izzy and Slash have managed to have long productive careers in the music business. And they were supposed to be the real problems with "hurting" the GnR band back in the day.

the biggest mystery to me is WHY did Axl fight so hard to keep the GnR name/brand if he was just going to treat it as an occasional hobby?

And why sit on so much "completed" music? One album in 16 years is bad enough, but ten times worse when you factor in that people (from Axl to Beta to other band members) have talked about (on average) about 40 other songs being done, Axl himself said that he had two albums in the can.........plus you have band members like DJ and BBF and Bucket/Robin being creative guys that write a lot and that WANTED to record new music with Axl................why sit on all that music?

It's like being a 20-year-old kid who is 6-foot-10, can dribble like Alan Iverson, can shoot like Larry Bird, can dunk like Dr. J........being picked number one in the draft and given a 20-million dollar a year contract...........but then you decide NOT to play and instead stay home and twitter about cats and elephants and just play an occasional game at the outdoor hoops at the local park.

I wish Axl listened to fans like you. Just my opinion, but it shouldn't be this difficult for a very rich musician to release music. He doesn't trust us with updates so being kept in the dark makes it shittier then it needs to be.

I don't ask this myself but I have one for Axl apologists. If the old band was so problematic, why didn't NuGNR succeed? Axl had EVERYTHING in his hands to make it work and it didn't. Why is that?

This one is super easy. Rock bands like GNR were passe by 2002. Short of a reunion, GNR had no chance of being a huge band again. Even then, it would have been an early 2000s Aerosmith run at best, as the old guard sticking around for one last big album. By 2002, hip hop, pop punk, and nu-metal had completely eclipsed rock bands like GNR. Then you add in Axl's voice in 2002 and his circus freak looking band. GNR essentially died in the US after 1995 and nothing was ever going to bring it back. Not even a reunion. A reunion NOW would probably draw more than it would have in 2002, as GNR went from rad to joke and is now back to a nostalgia trip. NuGNR never could have worked if you're comparing it to the success of the original GNR.

Five guys came out off the sunset strip only known to the people that visited the shows, in 3-4 years they would become some of the most famous entertainers on the planet, from the ugly streets to five star hotels & caviar. My question is...how much did the Illusion tour take out of the band physically & emotionally? Slash & Duff didn't seem bothered that they signed the rights to Axl..at the time, the mammoth touring and the partying and all the while, being the envy of other bands because your just that famous but did the Illusion tour your finish off the classic lineup or could they honestly not top the Illusion records in terms of grandiosity & trying to stayin touch with the fan base.

Edited by wkuk04