Tommy Stinson OUT ? (new interview)

Don't bother. He still believes that Sorum came up with the notorious UYI drum fill.

Precisely: that damn repetitive tom-tom fill was all Axl. Matt was playing around and hit that fill, and Axl was all "use this fill!" It's stated in interviews.

That fact alone makes me wonder how different UYI would've sounded with Steven. Stevie just doesn't play fills like that, so Axl would never have heard it.

wat

Duff wrote the YCBM drum fill

Who is talking about the YCBM fill?

It is the November Rain/Estranged/Don't Cry fill.

Axl told Sorum to play it because they heard it on an Elton John song as they were listening to it and Axl had liked it.

Steven wasn't bare bones, though. His kit was only bare along with his style because of Duff and Izzy.

You can be plenty fancy with a kit his size and smaller. Steven's kit was pretty much this (from memory, I could be wrong) - kick (double bass pedal), snare, high tom, floor tom, ride cymbal, 2 crashes, chyna cymbal, cowbell.... that's a regular sized kit, and no bigger than Matt (Matt might have had 2 floor toms). Bare bones isn't a insult, sometimes it's exactly what's needed, like AC/DC etc. You can play on a small kit and bring big ideas, and finesse. ultimately John Bonham (no double bass pedal) used a similar set up and he was not stuck for ideas, or hindered technically or musically for not having more drums.

Edited by Tom2112

Steven wasn't bare bones, though. His kit was only bare along with his style because of Duff and Izzy.

You can be plenty fancy with a kit his size and smaller. Steven's kit was pretty much this (from memory, I could be wrong) - kick (double bass pedal), snare, high tom, floor tom, ride cymbal, 2 crashes, chyna cymbal, cowbell.... that's a regular sized kit, and no bigger than Matt (Matt might have had 2 floor toms). Bare bones isn't a insult, sometimes it's exactly what's needed, like AC/DC etc. You can play on a small kit and bring big ideas, and finesse. ultimately John Bonham (no double bass pedal) used a similar set up and he was not stuck for ideas, or hindered technically or musically for not having more drums.

While that is true, there is no doubt that a smaller kit is limiting.

Regrading Steven, Duff and Izzy didn't want any of the fancy drumming. They felt it was too metal at the time.

I must be the only one that hated Matt's solos. He seemed all over the place. He's great for a groove but it's not like he was all that great.

While that is true, there is no doubt that a smaller kit is limiting.

Regrading Steven, Duff and Izzy didn't want any of the fancy drumming. They felt it was too metal at the time.

I must be the only one that hated Matt's solos. He seemed all over the place. He's great for a groove but it's not like he was all that great.

If you don't have the musicality a smaller kit will limit you. Look at Mike Portnoy in the Winery dogs, playing a kit half the size of his usual behemoth and he still does all the fancy stuff. You have more options tonally with a bigger kit, undeniable! but you can do almost any type of gig on the set up I described in my last post, metal (maybe add a 2nd high tom), Rock, Jazz, Funk, Pop, Country... you really have everything you need. Having the extra high tom is nice or adding extra tuned rack toms is good too but if you're creative with your limitations you're playing can be just as potent.

I hated Matts live drum solos :D

If Steven's contributions were so minimal, why is no one able to capture the groove of the classic songs the way he did?

Are we seriously going to claim that a smaller kit doesn't have it's limitations?

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Steven, he wasn't EXPECTED or asked to be hitting something on every 16th and 32nd note.

• Like 1

If Steven's contributions were so minimal, why is no one able to capture the groove of the classic songs the way he did?

Are we seriously going to claim that a smaller kit doesn't have it's limitations?

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Steven, he wasn't EXPECTED or asked to be hitting something on every 16th and 32nd note.

Izzy said it best:

"Yeah, a big musical difference. ... [Our songs] were written with Steve playing the drums and his sense of swing was the push and pull that give the songs their feel. When that was gone, it was just...unbelievable, weird. Nothing worked. I would have preferred to continue with Steve, but we'd had two years off and we couldn't wait any longer."

No we're not saying it doesn't have limitations... we're saying limited capabilities lead to limited results. Steven was great on AFD, he played to the songs and gave them exactly what they needed... he didn't even use the majority of his kit on most of the songs anyway, mainly using - kick, snare, hats crash and ride, so I'm not sure what you're point abut a bigger kit is.

No we're not saying it doesn't have limitations... we're saying limited capabilities lead to limited results. Steven was great on AFD, he played to the songs and gave them exactly what they needed... he didn't even use the majority of his kit on most of the songs anyway, mainly using - kick, snare, hats crash and ride, so I'm not sure what you're point abut a bigger kit is.

Because they actually reduced his kit for the band?

Guys guys guys, this thread is about Doctor Stusson himself, the "LONGEST SERVING MEMBER OF GNR"

I formally submit that Stusson's leaving GNR is a hugely good thing. He always hated GNR and made no bones about it, but when that mainstream-rock paycheck was dangling in front of him, you better believe he saluted Mistress Beta and said "get stuffed" to the indie scene.

OTOH, I was listening to AFD the other day, and I was really stunned at Duff's basslines. He played some really great rhythmic counterpoint to Slash and Izzy's guitars!

• Like 2

Because they actually reduced his kit for the band?

It's not like they left him with just a Snare, kick and h-hat. I think you are over selling the story of them taking SOME of his drums away (a funny story). He has / had what many consider a full kit, in fact what he had was more than what some drummers use.

They minimised his kit because it looked gawdy and he was playing too much - too much double bass, and too many tom rolls (delicious but fattening). If he had his full kit recording the album, maybe Paul stanley would have got his wish and there would have been drum rolls throughout the record.

Anyway, I'm losing track of what we're bickering about :P so I call a truce.

Not bickering about anything. People are trying to downplay Steven and his style and I mentioned that he changed his style when the band wanted something different and they went to the drastic measure of reducing his kit to make him fit their mold. Considering the time of generic hair metal drums, he fit the GNR mold well.

tldr; Steven was not meant to be pounding every 16th and 32nd note. He did what was asked. We'll never know what he could have done differently.

• Like 1

This is probably the worst drum solo (by a professional) that I've ever heard.

Edited by DR DOOM

I don't think anyone in the original band would ever say that Steven had minimal contributions.