cryptic tweets from official GNR page

I think it's the super bowl. I don't think it's been officially announced yet, but in years past we have known way ahead of time who is playing. This year has seen rumors and offers to Bruno and Maroon 5...I feel like those are just cover ups though. The super bowl is always one of those gigs everyone thinks GNR will play when they reunite. I know it's a long shot but if they reunite anything is possible.

I hope not! Literally everyone in the world watches that event. If Axl's voice chokes (which it likely will), any chance GnR ever had of regaining their street Cred will be lost forever.

Plus the instrumental section of the Super Bowl performance is always pre-recorded. I don't want to see Slash and Duff faking their playing while Axl sings like shit.

They need to do a few surprise acoustic club shows as warm-ups, followed by the tumored festival spots, and then a proper tour if all that build-up goes well

It's go big or go home! He's either going to be ready or not.

There's no way Axl will have any pre recorded parts, especially after making fun of RHCP a couple years ago and notoriously wanting so many people on the illusion tour in order to replicate the album perfectly. They won't do the super bowl if it comes to that. But I think the NFL might make an exception for one of the last big reunions of our time.

I think it's the super bowl. I don't think it's been officially announced yet, but in years past we have known way ahead of time who is playing. This year has seen rumors and offers to Bruno and Maroon 5...I feel like those are just cover ups though. The super bowl is always one of those gigs everyone thinks GNR will play when they reunite. I know it's a long shot but if they reunite anything is possible.

I think Bruno Mars has actually been offered the gig ... Never in a million years would the nfl let GNR anywhere near the halftime show, due to axls history of tardiness, and the possibility of anything happening which the NFL can't control ...

I always thought the same thing, and you're probably right!

I'm simply going off feeling. I want it to be the super bowl and after trying to figure out who got the super bowl gig this year nothing concrete seems to have happened. Just offers. The NFL usually lines these things up ahead of now. It's a long shot but it might be the greatest opening of any halftime if WTTJ is played.

It's crazy that all this madness began with a Swedish or whatever interview with Slash.

I hope not! Literally everyone in the world watches that event. If Axl's voice chokes (which it likely will), any chance GnR ever had of regaining their street Cred will be lost forever.

Plus the instrumental section of the Super Bowl performance is always pre-recorded. I don't want to see Slash and Duff faking their playing while Axl sings like shit.

They need to do a few surprise acoustic club shows as warm-ups, followed by the tumored festival spots, and then a proper tour if all that build-up goes well

It's go big or go home! He's either going to be ready or not.

There's no way Axl will have any pre recorded parts, especially after making fun of RHCP a couple years ago and notoriously wanting so many people on the illusion tour in order to replicate the album perfectly. They won't do the super bowl if it comes to that. But I think the NFL might make an exception for one of the last big reunions of our time.

It's cold during February, so they run the risk of their instruments getting warped if they do in fact do the gig and the NFL allows for it to be all real with no pre-recorded stuff. Idk If either GNR or the NFL would wanna risk that Edited by rocknroll41

I think Bruno Mars has actually been offered the gig ... Never in a million years would the nfl let GNR anywhere near the halftime show, due to axls history of tardiness, and the possibility of anything happening which the NFL can't control ...

There was a Petition online over getting Metallica to play the halftime show and it gained a lot of steam with millions of signatures. But it's allegedly getting thrown away because the person in charge (a stereotypical younger generational woman) wants Bruno Mars. So Bruno Mars it probably will be.

Figure

It always amazes me how people think that they will see GNR or other classic rock bands play at the Super Bowl anytime soon. Bruno Mars delivered 115MM viewers during this Super Bowl halftime performance, second only to Katy Perry last year with 121MM viewers. They draw bigger audiences than GNR ever would. Plus I am assuming that the halftime show will once again be sponsored by Pepsi. Do you really think Pepsi wants to target middle-aged men with the halftime performer? No, they want some one who reaches a younger and impressionable audience.

There was a Petition online over getting Metallica to play the halftime show and it gained a lot of steam with millions of signatures. But it's allegedly getting thrown away because the person in charge (a stereotypical younger generational woman) wants Bruno Mars. So Bruno Mars it probably will be.

Figure

While I do think Bruno makes more sense for the Super Bowl, it'd still feel kinda weird since he just played it a couple of years ago.

Whatever happened to that Weird Al petition?

It always amazes me how people think that they will see GNR or other classic rock bands play at the Super Bowl anytime soon. Bruno Mars delivered 115MM viewers during this Super Bowl halftime performance, second only to Katy Perry last year with 121MM viewers. They draw bigger audiences than GNR ever would. Plus I am assuming that the halftime show will once again be sponsored by Pepsi. Do you really think Pepsi wants to target middle-aged men with the halftime performer? No, they want some one who reaches a younger and impressionable audience.

People watch the halftime show regardless. I mean I get the targeting to a younger audience thing and what not, but to say GNR wouldn't be a big halftime show is crazy. It would something everyone would want to see regardless of their age. Their music will continue to cross into every generation. WTTJ is the most played song in sports stadiums. This would be the biggest reunion in our lifetime.

I think it's something all generations would appreciate. But who knows, maybe it would be a flop. It's still a big what if.

People watch the halftime show regardless. I mean I get the targeting to a younger audience thing and what not, but to say GNR wouldn't be a big halftime show is crazy. It would something everyone would want to see regardless of their age. Their music will continue to cross into every generation. WTTJ is the most played song in sports stadiums. This would be the biggest reunion in our lifetime.

I think it's something all generations would appreciate. But who knows, maybe it would be a flop. It's still a big what if.

When Tom Petty played I was with a bunch of dumbass young kids who thought it was lame lol.

I remember after the Timberlake/ Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction they started to use "safe" old nostalgia acts for the halftime show but I think that started to wear itself out after a while (as seen in my example above).

I think The Who was the last time an old nostalgia act was used for halftime, right? And iirc that was considered a boring-ass flop. Which makes sense cause since then it's been all modern day Pop acts again, and that seems to be working better now for the show runners so they'll prbably just stick to that

Edited by rocknroll41

Don't take this the wrong way, but that is a pretty inaccurate statement. As I said Katy Perry and Bruno Mars drew the biggest halftime show viewing audiences ever. In this day and age where networks are concerned with fragmented viewing, cord cutting, piracy, illegal streams etc. they will latch onto artists who can draw those large audiences. If you think that a 13 year old girl will tune in to watch any guest from That Metal Show perform at the halftime show the same as she would Bruno Mars or Katy Perry you'd be very unpleasantly surprised. Let's just say that those artists featured on VH1 Classic in general skew slightly older.

I have spent the majority of my working life in media research for cable television. There is a lot more that goes into partnerships than some one saying "Hey Welcome to the Jungle was played to pump up the crowd at the game last week, let's have them play!". For a decision this big that literally has tens of millions of dollars riding on it, you better believe that Pepsi and whoever is carrying the Super Bowl is thinking long and hard about who is going to perform. They are likely spending hundreds of thousands of dollars gathering data to make this choice. Pepsi wants an artist to play who reflects their brand and will promote the show on social media, do interviews, etc. and a 53 year old Axl Rose is not that person.

• Like 1

Don't take this the wrong way, but that is a pretty inaccurate statement. As I said Katy Perry and Bruno Mars drew the biggest halftime show viewing audiences ever. In this day and age where networks are concerned with fragmented viewing, cord cutting, piracy, illegal streams etc. they will latch onto artists who can draw those large audiences. If you think that a 13 year old girl will tune in to watch any guest from That Metal Show perform at the halftime show the same as she would Bruno Mars or Katy Perry you'd be very unpleasantly surprised. Let's just say that those artists featured on VH1 Classic in general skew slightly older.

I have spent the majority of my working life in media research for cable television. There is a lot more that goes into partnerships than some one saying "Hey Welcome to the Jungle was played to pump up the crowd at the game last week, let's have them play!". For a decision this big that literally has tens of millions of dollars riding on it, you better believe that Pepsi and whoever is carrying the Super Bowl is thinking long and hard about who is going to perform. They are likely spending hundreds of thousands of dollars gathering data to make this choice. Pepsi wants an artist to play who reflects their brand and will promote the show on social media, do interviews, etc. and a 53 year old Axl Rose is not that person.

But but...its Guns N Roses...

After watching the MTV comeback performance by Axl there is no way the super bowl would have GnR perform. Especially with the knowledge that - for whatever reason - Axl might not be "ready" to perform when it was halftime.

I think Motley Crüe has been able to sell out most of their shows on their retirement tour. If those boys can sell 20,000 tickets a night then surely a GnR reunion will as well. Especially if they get a great opening band. They need to get a classic old band that is respected and a younger band that is really popular right now.

Being Irish I wouldn't know much about the Super Bowl, but surely the major demograph watching the game at home and in the stands are middle aged men and women?

Most of those guys would have been rocking out to Welcome to the Jungle at those great tailgating parties you guys have back in the day.

Also, I though WTTJ is still a fan favourite when played in major sports events?

I think the first show of a reunited GNR being in the super bowl would be huge. How could it not be? Its football - football and rock music have always been together.

I cannot envisage it being a flop because the audience had too many teenage girls and young soccer moms watching the game while pining for Bruno or Katy at the same time.

Doesn't sound right to me.

Surely Katy and Bruno were there because of industry decisions built on money (i.e. pay to play) rather than anyone actually caring what the audience would most prefer?

They need to get a classic old band that is respected and a younger band that is really popular right now.

Who?

I hear Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators may be touring next year.

So they are touring without Slash... I am pretty sure they will have a lower fan attendance than Hookers N Blow...

Could "between the lines" could be a reference to the Super Bowl halftime?

I believe that in NFL betting, the odds are also known as 'lines', and include halftime lines. Therefore, it could be a reference to them playing between the lines? Or perhaps more literally, the lines of the sports field.

I believe that in NFL betting, the odds are also known as 'lines', and include halftime lines. Therefore, it could be a reference to them playing between the lines? Or perhaps more literally, the lines of the sports field.

You might be stretching a bit, it would be cool though. The 50th Super Bowl, just a couple of days after Duff's and Axl's birthdays, the original lineup returns..

not a chance.

Metallica are already booked on the night before and speculations are on Maroon 5 for the hald time.

Edited by Silent Jay

not a chance.

Metallica are already booked on the night before and speculations are on Maroon 5 for the hald time.

It's sad to think could of have Guns " N " Roses instead you get Maroon 5

Maybe 50 cent and Em will show up.

Fuck the Superbowl I don't wanna see GNR lipsync to music

This.

If GNR were booked for the Super Bowl half time they'd just be miming anyway, so it wouldn't be all that exciting.

I literally have no understanding of American football and I don't watch the superbowl but are all these shows lipsynced then?

Yeah.

Not in the traditional sense. Like, they wouldn't be miming to the original studio cut of Jungle or anything, but the audio would all have to be pre-recorded days in advance. So you'd basically be watching GN'R mime along to a live track they recorded a week or so earlier.

I can totally see Axl and Slash hanging out and laughing about all this speculation on the internet / twitter, etc...

They are going to make over half a billion with this reunion. If the Police made $360 million then a reunited GnR will be twice that easy.

Seriously?

A GnR reunion tour will "easily" make over 720 million dollars?

You do realize this isn't 1996 and the follow up album/tour to the Illusions. Right?

To suggest that is ludicrous.

If Slash and Duff hadn't been extremely active in touring and releasing albums over the last 20 years. And if Axl hadn't released CD and toured off and on over the last 20 years. Then you could start thinking in the hundreds or millions of dollars. But in 2016? There is no way.

Casual rock fans stopped caring. Go to any rock music forum and just chat with people about a potential GnR tour. It's more negative than positive.

Thank you! 720 million dollars?!? So basicaly it's gonna be the highest grossing concert tour in the history of popular music? My fuckin' arse :lol: They never even approached that shit in their heyday, never even cracked the top ten highest grossing tours even then.

But ah, they weren't overweight then either, perhaps thats gonna be the clincher, more gut for your buck :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

Bruno Mars and Katy Perry are shit. Surely there are millions of football fans that love classic rock.