BREAKING: Scott Weiland dead

KeyserSoze

p_zps9iacukj7.jpg

I read Duff's book, as I'm sure many of you did. He felt closer to Scott than anyone else and tried harder than anyone else to get him clean. But ultimately an addict has to want to get clean, and Scott never reached that point. It's sad.

It's also sad because you can see his phases. He was on crack/heroin/etc. most of his life, but in the last few years, it was xanax and alcohol. That's why he kept defiantly claiming he was "clean," but he was bloated and a good 20 lbs heavier towards the end of his life than he'd been since his early 20s. He did an interview with Spin (I think) back in 2011 where he showed up hours late to the photo shoot and discussed how he had kicked drugs by doing alcohol instead, and he was drunk the whole interview and saying stupid stuff and being an asshole. He talked about how his wife had left him and how he had re-discovered alcohol or something, but that he knew it was going to be his undoing. I'm paraphrasing but it was something like that. I knew when I read that four years ago that he wouldn't live very much longer.

RIP Scott.

You had me up to "20lbs heavier towards the end of his life than he'd been since his early 20's".

ER, you old dog you.

Who isn't heavier at 45 vs say 25?! Blew your entire argument right there.

Scott makes Axl look like a walk in the park. If GNR doesn't get back together... how could Axl be any more fucked up than Scott?! I guess the only argument to that is, at least Scott seems 100% genuine with everything. He makes Axl look fake. Seriously...

p_zps9iacukj7.jpg

I read Duff's book, as I'm sure many of you did. He felt closer to Scott than anyone else and tried harder than anyone else to get him clean. But ultimately an addict has to want to get clean, and Scott never reached that point. It's sad.

It's also sad because you can see his phases. He was on crack/heroin/etc. most of his life, but in the last few years, it was xanax and alcohol. That's why he kept defiantly claiming he was "clean," but he was bloated and a good 20 lbs heavier towards the end of his life than he'd been since his early 20s. He did an interview with Spin (I think) back in 2011 where he showed up hours late to the photo shoot and discussed how he had kicked drugs by doing alcohol instead, and he was drunk the whole interview and saying stupid stuff and being an asshole. He talked about how his wife had left him and how he had re-discovered alcohol or something, but that he knew it was going to be his undoing. I'm paraphrasing but it was something like that. I knew when I read that four years ago that he wouldn't live very much longer.

RIP Scott.

You had me up to "20lbs heavier towards the end of his life than he'd been since his early 20's".

ER, you old dog you.

Who isn't heavier at 45 vs say 25?! Blew your entire argument right there.

Scott makes Axl look like a walk in the park. If GNR doesn't get back together... how could Axl be any more fucked up than Scott?! I guess the only argument to that is, at least Scott seems 100% genuine with everything. He makes Axl look fake. Seriously...

Matt, Scott was skinny - bordering on looking anorexic - for most of his adult years. I think at times it was a direct result of his drug use, but I think he also did it because he was fashionable and aspired to have a Bowie-style look.

it was only in the last couple years, especially just the last few months, that he began looking bloated and puffy. To me, that's a direct indication that the alcohol was taking its toll on him. And for a guy who always cared very much about his public appearance, he began to look haggard, bloated and unwell -- it was just one more warning sign in a long list of many, and I don't put it down to "getting older." I think he avoided hard drugs by substituting alcohol and it killed him quicker than anything else. I would not be surprised if it turns out he mixed too much alcohol and xanax or another "lesser" drug the morning he died.

Cardiac arrest with cocaine as a contributing factor.

My dad died from liver cancer caused by alcohol. When my dad stopped drinking he would usually gain weight because he would get an increased appetite. When he was drinking heavily he would lose weight from not eating. In the final few months of his life he was ridiculously thin, even before he knew he had cancer.

Not saying that this is/was true for Scott, but I figured I'd put my experience out there.

I'm sorry to hear that, but how long did your dad drink for? If he had liver cancer from alcohol, I'm assuming it was for a very long period of time. If you're a chronic alcoholic who drinks for years and you aren't eating very much food, then yes, going cold turkey is going to result in your metabolism not being able to handle the excess calories from a proper diet. You're going to initially gain weight when you begin nourishing your body with nutrients. Scott didn't drink his entire life. He did other drugs. Whenever he would quit them, he began using alcohol because the legality of it made it seem like it was OK. I'm paraphrasing him -- he's said this in interviews. Not too long ago he said that alcohol ended up being worse for him than anything else and that he couldn't believe it was legal. He certainly wasn't fat at the end of his life, but he was fuller and more bloated than he had been since his 20s, and as someone who's been there and done that, it was apparent to me from his physical appearance that the alcohol was taking its toll on him. And ultimately it's not like I'm even speculating here -- Scott himself made numerous comments about the alcohol destroying him in the last few years. I mentioned it already, but that Spin interview from around 2011 -- where he showed up hours late to his photo shoot, then did the interview while drinking and talking about how he had become addicted to alcohol -- was depressing. I remember reading it in 2011 and knowing that he would be dead within a few years.

http://www.spin.com/2010/06/stone-temple-pilots-scott-weiland-reunited-thriving-june-2010-cover-story/

It’s two hours past his call time, and Weiland still has not shown up at Hollywood’s Roosevelt Hotel for the SPIN cover shoot. The hotel needs to turn over the first floor of the penthouse, so the sandwiches are transferred to the roof, where they bake in the sun, the cheese leaking out the sides. He finally arrives at 3 p.m., clutching two packs of cigarettes. He smokes one after another, lighting each from the last. He asks his assistant to get him four glasses of Scotch, neat.
“This is bulls**t,” Robert DeLeo tells me. “Look at him. He can’t go on tour. He needs help.” Robert thinks Weiland is abusing prescription medication. “He thinks he’s clean just because he’s not shooting heroin. But he’s popping pills.”

Its weird that it still hurts so much.

I wonder if, as people have mentioned, because he was kind of this force you thought had seen it all and not died yet that makes it harder. He was a Keith Richards type that you think "if he's still here now, he's not going anywhere." I think what makes it harder is he isn't a Kurt Cobain or a Jim Morrison or a Jimi Hendrix. Those guys were kids compared to him. Not that it makes it more understandable that they died, but in a way they were still immature. Dealing with a lot of feelings they just didn't know how to get through. I think when someone like Scott dies at nearly 50, you would hope he's learned enough to stop himself. You read that Spin interview about him talking to his kids, and it hurts more because you know he has other people to live for.

Obviously Kurt had Courtney and his daughter, but it was still a lot of pressure at a very young age. I think you hope with someone like Scott that they saw how those other guys handled it and they have more life experience and commitments to pull through. That they're mature enough to get the help you need, instead of feeling helpless in your late 20s or just partying a little too hard. I think to me thats whats saddest. And thats not to criticize anything Scott did or didn't do. Addiction is just so impossible to break. But I relate him to someone like Artie Lange. Thats gonna be really sad if he passes, but it wouldn't shock me at all. And you hear him talk about speaking to his heroes like Bruce who tell him "stop doing this!" and you hope that seeps in. That even with all that encouragement they don't fuck it all up. That they've lived enough life to pull it together and be what others couldn't.

I don't know. Just thinking out loud during a terrible football game. But I think thats why its got such a lasting affect. You just hoped at 50 they wouldn't die on a fucking tour bus.

• Like 1

Talking about someone other than himself is pretty tricky for Sorum. But with a bit of effort he partly manages to make Scott's death about him.

Matt's amazing. Piss off.

He's a cunt. I'm not buying one thing he says, never have. I want to hear from Duff. That's the only guy from VR that will be genuine adressing the subject of Scott IMO.

The man's in tears talking about a former band member and you think he's a cunt?

I wonder if, as people have mentioned, because he was kind of this force you thought had seen it all and not died yet that makes it harder. He was a Keith Richards type that you think "if he's still here now, he's not going anywhere." I think what makes it harder is he isn't a Kurt Cobain or a Jim Morrison or a Jimi Hendrix. Those guys were kids compared to him. Not that it makes it more understandable that they died, but in a way they were still immature. Dealing with a lot of feelings they just didn't know how to get through. I think when someone like Scott dies at nearly 50, you would hope he's learned enough to stop himself. You read that Spin interview about him talking to his kids, and it hurts more because you know he has other people to live for.

Obviously Kurt had Courtney and his daughter, but it was still a lot of pressure at a very young age. I think you hope with someone like Scott that they saw how those other guys handled it and they have more life experience and commitments to pull through. That they're mature enough to get the help you need, instead of feeling helpless in your late 20s or just partying a little too hard. I think to me thats whats saddest. And thats not to criticize anything Scott did or didn't do. Addiction is just so impossible to break. But I relate him to someone like Artie Lange. Thats gonna be really sad if he passes, but it wouldn't shock me at all. And you hear him talk about speaking to his heroes like Bruce who tell him "stop doing this!" and you hope that seeps in. That even with all that encouragement they don't fuck it all up. That they've lived enough life to pull it together and be what others couldn't.

I don't know. Just thinking out loud during a terrible football game. But I think thats why its got such a lasting affect. You just hoped at 50 they wouldn't die on a fucking tour bus.

I think the tour bus thing is what makes it even sadder. The man had so many chances to make lasting and meaningful relationships in his life, and yet for one reason or another, he dies alone on a tour bus in the middle of nowhere, performing to small crowds with his solo band after having had so much success in his life. It's such a lonely, sad situation all around, and it makes me really wonder just how bleak his mindset might've been this last year or two. I've felt the same way about him you did - it seemed like if he made it to 48, then shit, he's not going anywhere any time soon.

I think finally getting the boot from STP once and for all was the true beginning of the end for him, seeing them move on with another singer must've confirmed to him that that bridge was burned once and for all. He mentioned in a SPIN interview in 2010 that before they reunited the last time, that he felt they were just on a break and that they'd eventually get back together, and I could see that being the thing that kept him going after VR and his marriage fell apart. But on the other hand, those guys in STP gave him so many chances, for so many years, I can't put any blame on them for finally having enough either.

• Like 3

I think the tour bus thing is what makes it even sadder. The man had so many chances to make lasting and meaningful relationships in his life, and yet for one reason or another, he dies alone on a tour bus in the middle of nowhere, performing to small crowds with his solo band after having had so much success in his life. It's such a lonely, sad situation all around, and it makes me really wonder just how bleak his mindset might've been this last year or two. I've felt the same way about him you did - it seemed like if he made it to 48, then shit, he's not going anywhere any time soon.

I think finally getting the boot from STP once and for all was the true beginning of the end for him, seeing them move on with another singer must've confirmed to him that that bridge was burned once and for all. He mentioned in a SPIN interview in 2010 that before they reunited the last time, that he felt they were just on a break and that they'd eventually get back together, and I could see that being the thing that kept him going after VR and his marriage fell apart. But on the other hand, those guys in STP gave him so many chances, for so many years, I can't put any blame on them for finally having enough either.

I totally agree, although I would think in some sick way Chester leaving STP just last month would provide some good relief for him. Cause clearly, it shows that didn't work. That they couldn't replace Scott. So he very easily could have gone back. Maybe it never would have happened, but in his mind I don't know how he didn't see that as a win. They tried, and failed, to move on without him, while Scott just keeps doing his own thing. I totally agree that that probably was what started the deep depression, but its surprising of when everything happens. Scott goes downhill all year, Chester leaves STP in November, Scott dies in December. There was still so much time for things to turn around and, despite all odds, really work out in his favor even after the chances he's been given.

• Like 1

If anyone has or can get may 22, 2005 in Charlotte NC with VR, I'd love you forever. That was my first big rock concert.

I'm devastated. I feel really lame for it, and I'm not handling it like an adult, but fuck. This sucks.

Being human and having human feelings ain't nothing to feel lame about ;)

i gotta ay i feel like a baby as well with this, its just so sad

Talking about someone other than himself is pretty tricky for Sorum. But with a bit of effort he partly manages to make Scott's death about him.

He's a cunt. I'm not buying one thing he says, never have. I want to hear from Duff. That's the only guy from VR that will be genuine adressing the subject of Scott IMO.

The man's in tears talking about a former band member and you think he's a cunt?

Yes. Hearing him I can't help but think he's 'acting'.

All of a sudden things were patched up and he's there praising Scott.

It was too soon, especially since VR had a difficult break up and that those guys said bad things about each other in the media. Then nothing for years and now suddenly everything's good.

Yes. Hearing him I can't help but think he's 'acting'.

All of a sudden things were patched up and he's there praising Scott.

It was too soon, especially since VR had a difficult break up and that those guys said bad things about each other in the media. Then nothing for years and now suddenly everything's good.

Well he made up with Axl, so maybe Matt's not the type to hold a grudge? I can believe he might of made up with Scott sometime since VR's demise but, who knows. It's not like it would have been front page news if they did bury the hatchet.

Sorum was genuinely upset, I think. Regardless of his differences with Scott, they were colleagues for quite some time. In addition, as many have noted here, the circumstances surrounding Weiland's last years, struggles with addiction and death are truly sad . Even if Matt wasn't BFFs with Scott, he may have honestly felt upset about how things ended.

• Like 1

We're all speculating about Scott's death. People are bound to do that because of the way he lived. It's not particularly respectful, but it is what it is.

Sorum on the other hand is likely concerned that he'll be seen as the guy who had an ongoing beef with a well-known frontman at the time he died. That's why he's the only acquaintance of Scott's who is doing a radio interview within a couple days of his death. Matt cares about Matt - that's why we're hearing from him. Tears and all.

During the past few years I had actually almost forgotten how much I like, or love, his music. These songs were the soundtrack to my late teens/early adulthood, especially Contraband.

I've been listening to his solo stuff, STP and VR all weekend. Started reading his book again (I've read it once before). It is emotional. But for me, it's the best way to understand this situation. I guess this was inevitable. It doesn't make it any less sadder, but maybe his journey was meant to be what it was. I always hoped his story would have a happy ending. It seemed that even when he was troubled or depressed, he still was looking for the future and always interested in new music.

I read Mary's book and gives a good insight. And reasons why and how basically inevitable it is. As in you can beat drugs but you can't beat bi polar. I think your average person just gets sick of drugs. But pi polar just keeps pushing someone back into them. That's my impression I get anyway.

• Like 1

We're all speculating about Scott's death. People are bound to do that because of the way he lived. It's not particularly respectful, but it is what it is.

Sorum on the other hand is likely concerned that he'll be seen as the guy who had an ongoing beef with a well-known frontman at the time he died. That's why he's the only acquaintance of Scott's who is doing a radio interview within a couple days of his death. Matt cares about Matt - that's why we're hearing from him. Tears and all.

What's not respectful is some random on the internet claiming they know how Matt feels and claiming that Matt is only looking for publicity and only looking to make sure his name is clear. Seriously STFU.

Says the random guy on the Internet always saying what everybody in GN'R is doing, and for what reasons. And always displaying some agressivity while doing so.

We're entitled to our opinion. I do believe Matt's trying to portray himself in a good way.

I mean, the closest people in SW's life are being quiet at the moment (shall I say, respecting the family's wishes). Duff, Slash, STP all published a very short moving note offering their thoughts and prayers and remembering their bandmate. Given the difficult history in those bands, Matt should have done the same. From what we know Duff was the one that was the closest to Scott, or tried to reach him etc. and he's not saying anything. Now is not the time, that's all.

Sorry for the off-topic mods.

• Like 1