BREAKING: Scott Weiland dead

KeyserSoze

I'm not surprised at all. I'm surprised so many folks were surprised when it finally happened.

I feel terribly sad for his kids he left behind.

He was a talented guy. What a waste.

I don't think it is "surprising" I think most of us knew this day would come. Doesn't make it any less shitty at least for me.

• Like 1

One of my favorite solo Weiland songs. This is one that I feel could've been done by STP unlike "Sometimes Chicken Soup"

Where's your man
He's lost and gone again
What is your name?
The name behind the shame
Where's the cup,
It was filled, now
Broken up
Where's your man
He's lost and gone again

As I get behind the wheel again
Pray to live a million years
You know I lied but
If it makes you glad
I'll tell you what you want to hear

Edited by Subtle Signs
  • Like 2

p_zps9iacukj7.jpg

I read Duff's book, as I'm sure many of you did. He felt closer to Scott than anyone else and tried harder than anyone else to get him clean. But ultimately an addict has to want to get clean, and Scott never reached that point. It's sad.

It's also sad because you can see his phases. He was on crack/heroin/etc. most of his life, but in the last few years, it was xanax and alcohol. That's why he kept defiantly claiming he was "clean," but he was bloated and a good 20 lbs heavier towards the end of his life than he'd been since his early 20s. He did an interview with Spin (I think) back in 2011 where he showed up hours late to the photo shoot and discussed how he had kicked drugs by doing alcohol instead, and he was drunk the whole interview and saying stupid stuff and being an asshole. He talked about how his wife had left him and how he had re-discovered alcohol or something, but that he knew it was going to be his undoing. I'm paraphrasing but it was something like that. I knew when I read that four years ago that he wouldn't live very much longer.

RIP Scott.

p_zps9iacukj7.jpg

I read Duff's book, as I'm sure many of you did. He felt closer to Scott than anyone else and tried harder than anyone else to get him clean. But ultimately an addict has to want to get clean, and Scott never reached that point. It's sad.

It's also sad because you can see his phases. He was on crack/heroin/etc. most of his life, but in the last few years, it was xanax and alcohol. That's why he kept defiantly claiming he was "clean," but he was bloated and a good 20 lbs heavier towards the end of his life than he'd been since his early 20s. He did an interview with Spin (I think) back in 2011 where he showed up hours late to the photo shoot and discussed how he had kicked drugs by doing alcohol instead, and he was drunk the whole interview and saying stupid stuff and being an asshole. He talked about how his wife had left him and how he had re-discovered alcohol or something, but that he knew it was going to be his undoing. I'm paraphrasing but it was something like that. I knew when I read that four years ago that he wouldn't live very much longer.

RIP Scott.

You had me up to "20lbs heavier towards the end of his life than he'd been since his early 20's".

ER, you old dog you.

Who isn't heavier at 45 vs say 25?! Blew your entire argument right there.

Scott makes Axl look like a walk in the park. If GNR doesn't get back together... how could Axl be any more fucked up than Scott?! I guess the only argument to that is, at least Scott seems 100% genuine with everything. He makes Axl look fake. Seriously...

Matt Sorum talks about Scott

“I don’t know how I felt initially. I can’t say it was a shock, but it was definitely … I wasn’t expecting it because I felt like Scott was gonna be here hopefully longer than this,” Sorum said, describing his reaction to first hearing the news of Weiland’s passing.

“When I started to kind of process the feelings -- I mean, people know that, in the end, obviously we had our differences and the band split up. But the wave of emotions that you feel is more like a family member. It’s like if you had a family member that maybe you didn’t get along with great, but you still love them. That’s the feeling,” he explained.

Recalling the beginnings of Velvet Revolver, he praised Weiland for making the band’s music “come to life.”

“Being in a band obviously in my career has never been a perfect ride, but the reality of it is rock ‘n’ roll is never a perfect ride, real rock ‘n’ roll. I think Scott Weiland was that guy. He was complicated, yes, but the artistry was magnificent,” said Sorum.

“In the end, I just want the world to know that I feel like I made my peace with him,” he added later in the conversation

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6785936/scott-weiland-death-matt-sorum-made-peace-tribute-velvet-revolver

• Like 1

Talking about someone other than himself is pretty tricky for Sorum. But with a bit of effort he partly manages to make Scott's death about him.

Matt's amazing. Piss off.

I actually think that's a pretty fair assessment of Matt lol I remember watching that behind the scenes short documentary about the building of Velvet Revolver when it first aired and my brother and I couldn't get over how childish Matt acted and how Duff would always have to patiently put him in his place. It was funny.

Anyway it's good to hear Matt speak about Scott in those terms. And I know he must be hurting right now. Velvet Revolver was kind of lightning in a bottle and not really built to last. It's really nice to see people on this board reexamining VR these last few days and finally appreciating how fucking good they were!

Watch "Velvet Revolver Used To Love Her" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/KP1pa4n-LyQ

Edited by TOS--LOA

Talking about someone other than himself is pretty tricky for Sorum. But with a bit of effort he partly manages to make Scott's death about him.

Matt's amazing. Piss off.

He's a cunt. I'm not buying one thing he says, never have. I want to hear from Duff. That's the only guy from VR that will be genuine adressing the subject of Scott IMO.

Matt called in on Sirius XM and talked for 20 minutes about Scott.

Pretty rough to listen to. Matt has a very hard time and is really fighting his tears through the whole interview.

Good to hear he and Scott made up.

Damn. Right in the feels. And by the hands of Sorum no less.

Edited by Rovim

p_zps9iacukj7.jpg

RIP Scott.

You had me up to "20lbs heavier towards the end of his life than he'd been since his early 20's".

ER, you old dog you.

Scott makes Axl look like a walk in the park. If GNR doesn't get back together... how could Axl be any more fucked up than Scott?! I guess the only argument to that is, at least Scott seems 100% genuine with everything. He makes Axl look fake. Seriously...

p_zps9iacukj7.jpg

RIP Scott.

ER, you old dog you.

Matt, Scott was skinny - bordering on looking anorexic - for most of his adult years. I think at times it was a direct result of his drug use, but I think he also did it because he was fashionable and aspired to have a Bowie-style look.

it was only in the last couple years, especially just the last few months, that he began looking bloated and puffy. To me, that's a direct indication that the alcohol was taking its toll on him. And for a guy who always cared very much about his public appearance, he began to look haggard, bloated and unwell -- it was just one more warning sign in a long list of many, and I don't put it down to "getting older." I think he avoided hard drugs by substituting alcohol and it killed him quicker than anything else. I would not be surprised if it turns out he mixed too much alcohol and xanax or another "lesser" drug the morning he died.

• Like 1

p_zps9iacukj7.jpg

RIP Scott.

ER, you old dog you.

p_zps9iacukj7.jpg

RIP Scott.

ER, you old dog you.

Matt, Scott was skinny - bordering on looking anorexic - for most of his adult years. I think at times it was a direct result of his drug use, but I think he also did it because he was fashionable and aspired to have a Bowie-style look.

it was only in the last couple years, especially just the last few months, that he began looking bloated and puffy. To me, that's a direct indication that the alcohol was taking its toll on him. And for a guy who always cared very much about his public appearance, he began to look haggard, bloated and unwell -- it was just one more warning sign in a long list of many, and I don't put it down to "getting older." I think he avoided hard drugs by substituting alcohol and it killed him quicker than anything else. I would not be surprised if it turns out he mixed too much alcohol and xanax or another "lesser" drug the morning he died.

At the same time, I remember a few interviews back when he was promoting Happy in Galoshes where he talked about being glad that he's not obligated to a major record label anymore and one of the reasons was that he didn't have to worry about "being a certain weight".

In 2005, Scott Weiland sat down with Esquire Writer-at-Large Mike Sager for perhaps the most revealing interview of his life. On Thursday night, Weiland was found dead on his tour bus. Here, reprinted in full, is the original story from 10 years ago, "The Devil Gives You the First Time for Free."

Scott Weiland: 'This Is My Life, a Cautionary Tale. Maybe Somebody Can Learn from It.'

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/news/a40198/scott-weiland-interview/

p_zps9iacukj7.jpg

RIP Scott.

ER, you old dog you.

p_zps9iacukj7.jpg

RIP Scott.

ER, you old dog you.

Cardiac arrest with cocaine as a contributing factor.

Matt needs to shut the fuck up. Participating in some lacrimose phone-in three days after Scott's death is not appropriate. He has kids.

Just like when they disagreed after that gig, Matt is addressing the issue through the media so that he can paint himself in a particular light. Scott thought he was a dick then, and he's being a dick now.

• Like 1

p_zps9iacukj7.jpg

RIP Scott.

ER, you old dog you.

p_zps9iacukj7.jpg

RIP Scott.

ER, you old dog you.

Cardiac arrest with cocaine as a contributing factor.

My dad died from liver cancer caused by alcohol. When my dad stopped drinking he would usually gain weight because he would get an increased appetite. When he was drinking heavily he would lose weight from not eating. In the final few months of his life he was ridiculously thin, even before he knew he had cancer.

Not saying that this is/was true for Scott, but I figured I'd put my experience out there.