Are Axl's current vocals enough?

A joke, that's what Axl has turned into. Too bad.

Axl still has incredible charisma, so he is hardly a joke. He also has a great sense of humor.

He's nothing but a sad joke. Don't care about his charisma, he's a singer, not a comedian.

I hope he gets his shit together for the upcoming tour - whether that be a reunion or a new line-up, I don't care - so we can enjoy him in full force again.

No, they are not enough. I've been going to shows since Vegas 2001 and he hasn't sounded good since 2006 in all honestly (some in 2010). He turns the instruments up so loud at some shows that it drowns out his voice on purpose. If he gets in SHAPE, I think he could sound great again.

Yeah, Rio 2011 was horrid, but it was the first show of the tour. I can't really judge Axl's vocal ability based on his first show or shows of the tour. He does not prepare. Better to judge based on mid to end of the tour shows, after he had a chance to warm up his vocal chords.

Edited by Rovim

According to the only info we have about Axl's current state, is Slash's brother apologizing for calling him fat etc saying: Axl is on a strict diet and training regime (or something like that).

In fact, having been on this board for 10+ years, that exact apology was what convinced me that something big is going on.

According to the only info we have about Axl's current state, is Slash's brother apologizing for calling him fat etc saying: Axl is on a strict diet and training regime (or something like that).

In fact, having been on this board for 10+ years, that exact apology was what convinced me that something big is going on.

The Axl on a strict diet thing was just a snarky remark about Axl cause Ash got tired with the Guns questions. He apologized for his comments cause Slash was pissed off about his brother jeopardizing his new found friendship with Axl, cause he knows Axl is a "sensitive" guy.

• Like 1

I've cleaned up a lot of this thread, I also spent a great deal of time last night cleaning up other thread derailments in D&N.

Just to be clear to everyone involved, Little Emo Annie is no longer a member here, ANY deliberate bumping of her posts or discussion about her will result in warning points been given.

Let's all move on and enjoy some quality discussion over the coming weeks.

• Like 4

When he sounds good, I say he sounds good, but when he sounds shit, then I can't be delusional and say he sounds amazing, he does sounds awful here and thats a FACT. And Philipm787 is not my long lost brother :lol:

If he lost weight and improved his breathing/stamina, he would do so much better.

It's funny, like a Ricky Gervais cringeworthy comedy, but it's also sad to see what he's become. Hopefully working with Slash and Duff will light a fire in him.

I've cleaned up a lot of this thread, I also spent a great deal of time last night cleaning up other thread derailments in D&N.

Just to be clear to everyone involved, Little Emo Annie is no longer a member here, ANY deliberate bumping of her posts or discussion about her will result in warning points been given.

Let's all move on and enjoy some quality discussion over the coming weeks.

Fuck yeah, finally

Great to see some sense in moderating :headbang:

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for my behaviour towards you and Russ in previous PM's and posts

--------

On topic:

Wat if Axl came out with a 2006 voice?

is it even possible for him on his 50's?

Remember: the most miraculous voice change happened between 2002 and 2006

Edited by Strange Broue
  • Like 2

2010 was the best imo. Power and grit for days. Days! I think it's possible for him to be more consistent with enough preparation, but he doesn't like to work out. Maybe the sheer awesomeness of what's happening right now with Guns will make him want to go jogging with Duff.

Edited by Rovim

I prefer 2006 vocals to 2010 vocals by miles.

2006, he had incredible range and fairly good control. He could nail the high notes in Sailing, show off in KOHD, and get gritty in IRS. Rasp when called for, clean non Mickey vocals when needed and everything in between.

2010 was too much rasp and a lot of times sounded like a raspy, wounded frog. Rasp on everything. Not needed and too many times he would just scream random lines.

2006 all the way.

Could he do that now?

Why not? Most thought he was done after 2002

All the talk of who is in any reunion line-up or what is any setlist are all secondary to me.

Because #1 is Axl best have spent the past year getting himself back in shape. Not 1992 shape, that's unrealistic. But 2010 shape should not be that big a stretch.

All the Slash and Duff in the world won't mean dick if he still sounds like garbage.

I prefer 2006 vocals to 2010 vocals by miles.

2006, he had incredible range and fairly good control. He could nail the high notes in Sailing, show off in KOHD, and get gritty in IRS. Rasp when called for, clean non Mickey vocals when needed and everything in between.

2010 was too much rasp and a lot of times sounded like a raspy, wounded frog. Rasp on everything. Not needed and too many times he would just scream random lines.

2006 all the way.

Could he do that now?

Why not? Most thought he was done after 2002

Indeed.

09+ is where the consistently out of breath bit crept in and became the norm too.

The poor performances of recent years are more from laziness (IMO) than physical limitation.

• Like 1

Indeed.

09+ is where the consistently out of breath bit crept in and became the norm too.

The poor performances of recent years are more from laziness (IMO) than physical limitation.

Agreed.

And I'd love 2006 vocals too, but that might be one miracle too far.

In the videos I've seen from 2014 he has mostly found balance though he seems to have problems with vocal distortion on the higher notes. In songs like Welcome to the Jungle that is very noticeable. I don't know how noticeable that would be live unless you were listening for it.

I think his vocals can be "good enough", but whether they will be is something else entirely. As many have mentioned he seems to be really up and down on how he does depending on the tour & where at in the tour. It is doubtful he is going to be as good as everyone in their hearts want him to be. He has used and abused his vocal chords massively over the years. Not to mention the problem of just plain getting old. But he can most likely be good enough if he puts some effort in.

As others have said - if he sounds like he has in the past years, it would be a bit of a disappointment. And a shock to casual fans, who may not be aware of his vocal changes over the years. That would be a real shame, not just for the audience, but for Axl. I would imagine that he'll want to come back strong, and show the world what he's made of.

He does have it in him. He sounded great at the concert I attended in Manchester in 2006. He has managed some decent, even good performances more recently than that. I don't think anyone will expect him to sound like he did in the 80s and 90s (though some critics will no doubt have a stab at him, as that's what they do). Would be amazing if he could sound like that, but we have to be realistic.

2006 Axl would do, for me. If he can get back to that, the reunion would be great.