any word on Steven

16 hours ago, timkerr37 said:

I dont understand why people are continuously saying Adler only played on Appetite/can only play the Appetite parts and not the Illusion parts.  What about Lies and Live like a Suicide.  Also, everyone mentions Civil war.  BUT (although he didnt record the songs on Illusions) he did play on many of the songs (eg Back off Bitch, Live and Let die etc) as they were playing them in their live shows even before Appetite was recorded!  I wonder how many of the songs on The illusion albums  Adler did play on just didnt record!

Also is it just me or does anyone think Adlers Back from the Dead would be a great GNR song with Axl signing it?

i heard him on locomotive, don't damn me and dust and bones - sounding fucking wicked - album would've been 100 times better 

• Like 2

To "replace" Steven Axl used Sorum and years later said he doesn't like the drums in Illusions.

For Chinese, to replace Adler, the classic sound of the band, he used 3 drummers to achieve what he wanted.

It's kinda like how in order to replace Slash he needed Robin and Bucket, and for Izzy it's Paul and Fortus.

Think it just shows the value of perfect musical chemistry. The personality of the musician is reflected in his musical ideas and playing. If it worked once like it worked on Appetite, I wonder what Use Your Illusion would have sounded like if Steven wasn't that high.

I remember he said he wrote "the most delicate drum parts for Don't Cry" or some shit and how he never got to realize his ideas for the song.

I think a lot of people think that just because he was high while they recorded the Illusions, Steven is just not capable technically to record something like UYI. I think that's horseshit. He would have played it his way. Perhaps more simplistic compared to Sorum, but it doesn't matter. Could have still sounded better.

Even more than that, say Axl tries Steven live just for Appetite, just for a few shows and he fuckin' nails it, I think it would be very wise to use him on a few tunes if they intend to record an album together.

Just a couple of tunes that rock hard with Izzy and Steven on a reunion album seems like a good idea. 2 rockers and a ballad with Adler.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I just got a fridge delivers from Lowe's. Started going on about music with one of the delivery guys after he commented on my Howlin Wolf poster. Then we started talking about shows and I told him I was going to Gn'R's first show back in Vegas. He looked at me and the first thing he said was "Are Izzy and Adler going to be there? I am still waiting on the news about that. To see the whole band would be... oh man..."  He was only 27 years old..

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I just got a fridge delivers from Lowe's. Started going on about music with one of the delivery guys after he commented on my Howlin Wolf poster. Then we started talking about shows and I told him I was going to Gn'R's first show back in Vegas. He looked at me and the first thing he said was "Are Izzy and Adler going to be there? I am still waiting on the news about that. To see the whole band would be... oh man..."  He was only 27 years old..

I know exactly how he feels! I'm 26, never had a chance to see the old band. I was literally in tears of joy after finding out axl and slash were buds again. I really never thought there was ever a chance in hell they would reunite and I had come to grips with it, mostly because I had no choice since the situation is completely out of my hands. The chance at seeing all original 5 members on stage together at some point? I'll honestly lose my mind and would pay anything to see that.

New music would be great but first things first, get on stage and play. And I'm gonna have to take a million pictures and look at them a million times over, hopefully I'll believe it isn't a dream at that point lol. I have a couple of friends who are a little bit younger and even though they're not into GNR quite like I am, they're excited to see them live too knowing the significance. This is a very cool thing..

Edited by Billsfan
  • Like 1

Honestly, from a 31 year old fan, i can say the true GNR is made by the first 5 guys. They have the right chemistry, they fit together. The AFD album was the most sold releasing album in the history of the USA. For a reason... Back to Steven Adler, he must be there. He is crucial. The show is called reunion, so he has to be there. The Hall of Fame 2012 proved he could play with his eyes closed. Several videos on the web shoing him playing rocket queen on studio, exactly as theoriginal version. He deserves a second chance. Axl is having a second chance, Slash amd Duff too. Steven deserves it. If this reunion is for money only, ok, put Axl and Slah and it will go. If GNR is considering the fans, Steven should open the show with them playing welcome to the Jungle and all the rest.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

The man was only 27 years old, and he gave a shit about Adler.

I think it's ironic Axl seems to care a whole bunch about drums, yet the best sounding drummer for Gn'R is a goofy hairy man that post stroke is still the only drummer that can give a Guns tune something no other drummer in the world can manage to come up with. (probably)

Steven just naturally fits with Gn'R music. Civil War is a pretty epic song, drums are simplistic, but just shows that maybe it was best for Guns at the time Adler was fucked up to keep him as a collaborator at least cause even Brain Freeze can't replace his qualities as a drummer.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan said:

Man. Imagine being in Vegas at the start of the first show, hearing the opening Riff to welcome to the jungle, then the pyro hits and seeing all 5 original guys on stage. That would be a hell of a way to start the tour!

I would definitely have to call a doctor.. my boner would certainly last over 4 hours..

• Like 1

Alright I know I'm new here, and I don't want to ruffle feathers, but WOW. Not sure how much is trolling/messing around or serious, but I am just amazed at how many ignorant comments are being made here about Adler's DRUMMING. 'nothing more than a metronome'??? Are you people f'n serious? Or just deaf?

Say what you will about his drug problems etc but he is an amazing, tasteful, MUSICAL drummer. His parts are well thought out and ALWAYS compliment the song. Not to mention his FEEL. His passion explodes through every single hit. He is the X factor to the true GnR sound. 

All the NuGnR guys are all technically great players, but they are hired guns with no emotional attachment to the songs. It is quite literally a Vegas lounge feel with Frank, for example. At least from what little I've heard on youtube vids of recent live performances by NuGnR. Just way too laid back, no push, no ROCK.

What do AC/DC, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Ramones and GnR (and many others) have in common? All some of the biggest rock bands of all time, all have simplistic, non-flashy POCKET drummers who played parts perfectly complimenting the songs. Ringo is forever 'the shitty Beatle' to the average joe, but just like Adler, he brought a uniqueness and feel that simply can't be replicated.

I'm going to night 1 in Vegas, and I really hope to see the original 5.