Pitman out of the reunion?

I can see here a new trend starting during the up coming shows. If Pitman, Frank or even Axl, Slash and Duff (nobody will get a free pass) fuck something up in some way at some point. The lame ass justification will be Hey! it's not a fuck up just slight alterations.

:lol:

34 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The ''alteration'' chestnut was used for many years when discussing Robin Finck's tuneless string bends.

I never cared for finck, but I genuinely haven't seen frank 'fuck up' a song, if somebody would like to point a case of this out to me, I'm all ears

2 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

I never cared for finck, but I genuinely haven't seen frank 'fuck up' a song, if somebody would like to point a case of this out to me, I'm all ears

Brownstone, Rocket Queen , You Could Be Mine...

Never cared for Finck either.. I was all behind NuGuns at the beginning too.. I went and saw them in 2002 and he was fucking brutal. The whole show was pretty much a joke.. We left early.. Axl was good that night but it wasn't enough to make up for the circus act.

• Like 1

I don't think the NuGNR members could ever win this argument. If they played the songs exactly as they were on the album, there were those who accused them of trying to be Slash clones and claimed that they didn't have any talent/originality. If they played the songs with their own spin and technique, they were said to be fucking up or doing things that "didn't belong" in the band.

9 minutes ago, stella said:

I don't think the NuGNR members could ever win this argument. If they played the songs exactly as they were on the album, there were those who accused them of trying to be Slash clones and claimed that they didn't have any talent/originality. If they played the songs with their own spin and technique, they were said to be fucking up or doing things that "didn't belong" in the band.

I loved Bucket when I saw GNR in 02. I think he got unnecessary hate due to his gimmick but as a grown ass man I've never cared what another grown ass man wears or looks like.I think he put cool spins on old GNR tunes without straying too far from what made the songs great in the first place.

19 hours ago, RussTCB said:

That's a great point about Madagascar as well. I was only throwing it out there because I always hear Pitmans name closely associated with it. 

On Madagascar which he's listed as a co-writer for example. 

- He plays Keyboard (No Dizzy at all)

- Bass with Tommy (Not Sub Bass)

- Sub Bass (Not the same as bass)

- Drum Programming, Drum Arrangement, Digital Editing and Orchestral Arrangement.

On If The World it's all above (except Tommy isn't listed as playing bass at all on it.) with 12 String Guitar, MPC Drums and the String Machine.

If you don't like those 2 tracks for example, that's fine. No one can argue though that he doesn't do anything on them.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2016 at 10:15 PM, paranoyd androyd said:

to old folks like myself who were around in the beginning it does

just can't support this 'reunion' if it doesn't feature the original 5

speak for yourself man, ive been here for the entire ride and this is a good enough use of the word reunion for me!.  you stay home  and type on here and ill go to the show!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

'Sub-bass', a load of bollocks. Whatever happened to a bass, a drum and a couple of guitars?

Sub bass is normally the rumbling crap that I clear out of my mixes! It may work in other genres and I will say that Alter Bridge did a good job with whatever sine or other wave they layered under every 8th kick in Farther Than The Sun, but I can't see personally how it can enhance GN'R's music.

6 hours ago, Subtle Signs said:

I loved Bucket when I saw GNR in 02. I think he got unnecessary hate due to his gimmick but as a grown ass man I've never cared what another grown ass man wears or looks like.I think he put cool spins on old GNR tunes without straying too far from what made the songs great in the first place.

Buckethead is in a whole other league to guys like Finck and DJ though. Never got into the nu band at all, but when Buckethead was there I got pretty into it. He has a great sense of melody, unbelievable guitar skills, and he did make cool spins on the old songs!

7 hours ago, Subtle Signs said:

I love Buckethead. I didn't get to see him with GnR but I've seen a bunch of his live solo shows, and he's always been brilliant. And I totally agree, I think that a lot of people just couldn't get past the weird factor or the way he dressed. Shame, because he was great. Finck and Ashba also seemed to run into a bit of that too. Ashba wasn't my favorite guitarist ever in the world, but I always wondered how much of the hate leveled at him was about his character/looks vs. his actual playing ability.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Asia said:

Why do people want to look in way that will make everybody in the world hate them?

Why would people be shallow enough to hate someone based on the way they look or dress? If you're an adult you mind your business, dress the way you want and let everyone else do what they want in that respect.

16 minutes ago, stella said:

Why would people be shallow enough to hate someone based on the way they look or dress? If you're an adult you mind your business, dress the way you want and let everyone else do what they want in that respect.

Great but the world isn't perfect and will never be so my question remains valid...

Besides we're not talking about judging based on the looks (whether somebody is pretty or ugly or whatever) but if someone deliberately chooses a certain style, I assume they do it on purpose and actually want to convey some message.

Edited by Asia

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Buckethead's act is a gimmick, like a Kiss or Slipnot type thing. It is quasi-conceptual, an outgrowth of his fondness for Japanese culture, horror films and chickens.

smth like Lady GaGa - she can have great voice, artistic songwriting - but she chose to be a circus act and she is selling it - because of that, I can not take her for great vocalist or artist. Same way as KFC advertising pillar will never be guitar player in eyes of average audience...

I just don't see the need for Pitman at this point. Sorry for the people who are fans of his, I'm just not into him. Nothing that he has done since he's been in the band has swayed me otherwise. 

9 minutes ago, cooker said:

I just don't see the need for Pitman at this point. Sorry for the people who are fans of his, I'm just not into him. Nothing that he has done since he's been in the band has swayed me otherwise. 

I'm not a fan of his per se, but I do like the CD material a great deal. That's the only reason that I care if he's there or not. If they can play CD material without him, then by all means.

Just now, RussTCB said:

I'm not a fan of his per se, but I do like the CD material a great deal. That's the only reason that I care if he's there or not. If they can play CD material without him, then by all means.

I don't know if I want to hear the CD material at these shows. I'm conflicted here. 

1 hour ago, Asia said:

Great but the world isn't perfect and will never be so my question remains valid...

Besides we're not talking about judging based on the looks (whether somebody is pretty or ugly or whatever) but if someone deliberately chooses a certain style, I assume they do it on purpose and actually want to convey some message.

Of course they do want to convey a message -- all of their looks are carefully thought out. But perhaps they're not choosing that look based on whether they think anyone will approve or not, but whether it feels genuine to them. Perhaps they're using that to actually *try* to make people uncomfortable, or to inspire dialogue or thought on one subject or another (Marilyn Manson's done this a lot).

Someone like Buckethead who dresses exactly as he pleases, even though he knows it might put some people off, is a bit preferable IMHO to someone who dresses to try to please the fans in a way that is fake or uncomfortable for them. I'm thinking specifically of those musicians who show a lot of skin (both male and female) but seem very uncomfortable with it. Nobody's look is ever universally hated or loved, either, which is probably another good reason for someone to say "the hell with it" and wear whatever they want.

In terms of Buckethead specifically, I've heard from various people who have worked with him, and read in other places, that he really is extremely shy, and that the character and mask he's created give him the courage to get onstage and face the audience. Without that costume, maybe nobody would ever hear him play live at all.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

That's where I feel like Dizzy could handle all keyboard duties just fine. If they throw in Madagascar I'm sure with the horn part going and Slash shredding we'll forget all about Pitman's legendary sub bass.