07/19/16 - Foxboro, MA - Gillette Stadium

downzy

I struggle to fathom the sort of "Why has there been no SLither!?!" thinking.  Each to his own obviously! But man, if I ever went to a GnR REUNION gig and heard a fucking Velvet Revolver song I'd be so pissed. Decent band in their own right, sure, but the fact is Chinese Democracy is just as Guns N Roses as the current line up is Guns N Roses. They were all recorded by a band that at some point were known as GnR, no different to if the current lineup recorded today and called themselves GNR. If in 5 years we get the AFD 5 back in the studio, would we then disregard a hypothetical recording by the current GUNS N ROSES lineup? 

Also,  I think during the recording of CD there were points where Axl would have been happy for Slash to play on a few songs. 

Colloquially we might call them NuGnr, but what exactly demotes the "nu"-ness? Is it simply Slash's inclusion? I dunno, 'tis an interesting topic and I suppose one that will never get an answer since it's all down to opinion! 

1 minute ago, Silent Jay said:

No denying that but very slim chance for obvious reason. Pretty Tied Up maybe with Izzy one day?

There is no obvious reason...other than they haven't rehearsed them it doesn't seem.    Same could have been said with Catcher prior to Today actually.  

23 minutes ago, Yibrano Hudson said:

It's not scary...ChiDem is part of GnR's story, so it's not bad at all that those songs are part of the set

It Is part of Axl's story, not GNR'S( and no Axl Is not GNR. The tour numbers prove that). What Is really cool Is the fact that Axl didn’t have to tell Slash anything about working on the Chinese Democracy songs or how to play them he just embraced them and worked really hard, according to Axl.

1 minute ago, cremefraiche said:

I struggle to fathom the sort of "Why has there been no SLither!?!" thinking.  Each to his own obviously! But man, if I ever went to a GnR REUNION gig and heard a fucking Velvet Revolver song I'd be so pissed. Decent band in their own right, sure, but the fact is Chinese Democracy is just as Guns N Roses as the current line up is Guns N Roses. They were all recorded by a band that at some point were known as GnR, no different to if the current lineup recorded today and called themselves GNR. If in 5 years we get the AFD 5 back in the studio, would we then disregard a hypothetical recording by the current GUNS N ROSES lineup? 

Also,  I think during the recording of CD there were points where Axl would have been happy for Slash to play on a few songs. 

Colloquially we might call them NuGnr, but what exactly demotes the "nu"-ness? Is it simply Slash's inclusion? I dunno, 'tis an interesting topic and I suppose one that will never get an answer since it's all down to opinion! 

CD was Axl's solo project under the GNR name

VR had 3 Guns N' Roses members

Like that Slash's solo band is also Guns N' Roses, it has one GNR member SLASH like how CD had one GNR member AXL.

We should appreciate the music and see what cool songs VR, Slash, Duff, Adler and Izzy have made over the years not under the Guns N' Roses name. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tsinindy said:

There is no obvious reason...other than they haven't rehearsed them it doesn't seem.    Same could have been said with Catcher prior to Today actually.  

Yes I agree anything can happen at this time. I think Axl just want to test the waters, if the band can pull ChDm off. Next time I hope we could have a few UYI deep cuts, like The Garden and yes Pretty Tied Up with Izzy on board.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cremefraiche said:

I struggle to fathom the sort of "Why has there been no SLither!?!" thinking.  Each to his own obviously! But man, if I ever went to a GnR REUNION gig and heard a fucking Velvet Revolver song I'd be so pissed.

Why?  I cannot fathom being so pissed off at one VR song being played lol, like come on it makes sense to include at least Slither because Slash and Duff helped create it.  Don't get pissed off, just enjoy the music Slither is a great tune

4 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

It is interesting, Catcher was not on any of the setlists as an alternate song I wonder what prompted the band to pull it out?

Well I just discovered it's Brian May's birthday today but seeing as his contribution was replaced I'm assuming it's total coincidence. :lol:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Well I just discovered it's Brian May's birthday today but seeing as his contribution was replaced I'm assuming it's total coincidence. :lol:

The books 65th anniversary was 3 days ago. That's coincidence too haha

• Like 1

Everyone has a different opinion. This is hilarious to try to follow:wow:

Sure it will be great when Slither gets played. It will be played when it's played. They are not obligated to play it. 

Just be happy that we have gnr featuring more than one member and they are throwing different songs in. Maybe everyone's needs and opinions will be addressed when all is said and done 

Edited by Top-Hatted One

Just now, Slash787 said:

CD was Axl's solo project under the GNR name

VR had 3 Guns N' Roses members

Like that Slash's solo band is also Guns N' Roses, it has one GNR member SLASH like how CD had one GNR member AXL.

We should appreciate the music and see what cool songs VR, Slash, Duff, Adler and Izzy have made over the years not under the Guns N' Roses name. 

I totally get where you're coming from and I'd be happy to see that show, but as you pointed out, just not under the Guns n' Roses name please. I don't buy a ticket for Guns N Roses and expect to hear Velvet Revolver funnily enough.  There should a special exception for songs like This I Love if the argument is based on numbers of original members in the band at the time the song was written. 

Slash's band is not Guns N Roses because he doesn't have the legal right to call it that.  Did AC/DC stop becoming AC/DC when Bon died? Or Phil Rudd left the first time? Or second time? Ofcourse not in a legal sense, but only in the OPINIONS of very few fans.

You can also argue concert attendance during the CD era, but they had more people at their shows most of the time than Velvet Revolver, or Slash's snakepit ever did. I think the majority are happy with hearing the songs done justice by decent musicians. Just like Smashing Pumpkins, Faith No More, The Rolling Stones, The Who, AC/DC, Queens of the Stone Age, Nirvana, The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters etc etc none of whom have/had all of their original members all of the time. 

I'm not denying the blatant fact that Slash and Duff are a huge draw as is evidenced by this tour, but I think it's a step too far to think of VR songs in the same vein as CD songs. 

Imagine if Led Zep reunited and they chose to put a Yardbirds song in their set? There'd be so much hate!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cremefraiche said:

I'm not denying the blatant fact that Slash and Duff are a huge draw as is evidenced by this tour, but I think it's a step too far to think of VR songs in the same vein as CD songs. 

Imagine if Led Zep reunited and they chose to put a Yardbirds song in their set? There'd be so much hate!

I think Slither was a bigger mainstream splash than any of the CD songs combined, plus I think 90 percent of the people there would know it better than CD songs actually.  All in all I feel like the names of bands in this case is a red herring, Slither is a great song and it would be awesome to hear this lineup rock out on it!  

For Zeppelin they actually did play a Yardbirds song in their setlists back in the day - Train Kept A Rollin'.  Back in the late 60's and even on their 1980 tour I believe.  I don't think there would be a lot of hate if they reunited and brought that out just like the old days

And all that being said, I feel Slither has more a place in the setlist than The Seeker lol

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 3

Just now, WhazUp said:

I think Slither was a bigger mainstream splash than any of the CD songs combined, plus I think 90 percent of the people there would know it better than CD songs actually.  All in all I feel like the names of bands in this case is a red herring, Slither is a great song and it would be awesome to hear this lineup rock out on it!  

For Zeppelin they actually did play a Yardbirds song in their setlists back in the day - Train Kept A Rollin'.  Back in the late 60's and even on their 1980 tour I believe.  I don't think there would be a lot of hate if they reunited and brought that out just like the old days

Train Kept A Rollin' was originally recorded by Tiny Bradshaw in 1951, the equivalent almost of GnR's Live and Let Die - a cover that has actually become synonymous with the band. 

I totally see your points though! Me personally, I couldn't even hum the tune to Slither to be completely honest I don't think i've ever properly registered hearing that song, but this is just it - it all comes down to personal preference. Ya can't please everybody, but you're right I imagine i'd be in the minority to be a bit gutted that they chose a VR song over GNR. I think Contraband and Libertad actually did fairly well here in NZ.  However, it'd never be enough to ruin the gig for me or anything like that! I'd just be quietly gutted