Eddie Trunk's Vegas recap

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

First of all; Thank you to the OP for listening and writing up a detailed recap! 

As for the "I know something you don't" shit from Trunk, I get both sides of it but it's more irritating then not. 

My biggest problem is the complaining about t-shirt prices. News flash Ed.... Concert t-shirts have been floating around the $45 mark for over a decade. It has nothing to do with reunions being about money. It has everythi to do with the crash in album sales and every artist charging more for other things to make the money they're losing on album sales.

I agree with this. I complain about high *ticket* prices but the t-shirt and merch prices are totally in line with what concert merch usually costs. It's pretty much unheard of to find a concert t-shirt at a large show for less than $40 and most of them are far more.

Concert merch has always been somewhat overpriced -- even when album sales were profitable. At the UYI tour I remember the tie-dye shirts were something like $30 or $40 and that was in 1992 money.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stella said:

I agree with this. I complain about high *ticket* prices but the t-shirt and merch prices are totally in line with what concert merch usually costs. It's pretty much unheard of to find a concert t-shirt at a large show for less than $40 and most of them are far more.

Concert merch has always been somewhat overpriced -- even when album sales were profitable. At the UYI tour I remember the tie-dye shirts were something like $30 or $40 and that was in 1992 money.

In 1991 I bought a UYI tour shirt for $20....my ticket was $22.50 (lawn seat at Deer Creek 05/28/91).  Pavilion tix were $27.50. $20 for a t-shirt then was ridiculously expensive as is $40 now for a t shirt.  Tickets however have sky rocketed obviously and you can thank the god damn Eagles for that.

• Like 2

I listened to a podcast with the guy that did the Mitch Laflon interview and he hates Axl but he thought the Vegas shows were incredible! He hated on Axl being awkward and looking weird but said the guy was on only bc he sat in a chair. Which brings me to my point on this Trunk interview...Axl sounds good moving around too! He was probably better at the Troubadour then in Vegas

and that radio guy said Eddie Trunk tried to follow him around in Vegas and it was awkward bc he doesn't like Trunk...sounded kinda douchy 

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well I've never paid more than £20 for a t-shirt and the last one I bought was only a couple of years ago, Neil Young.

I like Neil Young very much. Saw him about 7 years ago and he put on a great show. My daughter was named after a song I first heard on The Last Waltz where he played with The Band in San Francisco 1978. 

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

In 1991 I bought a UYI tour shirt for $20....my ticket was $22.50 (lawn seat at Deer Creek 05/28/91).  Pavilion tix were $27.50. $20 for a t-shirt then was ridiculously expensive as is $40 now for a t shirt.  Tickets however have sky rocketed obviously and you can thank the god damn Eagles for that.

I don't remember how much my UYI ticket cost but I do remember that it didn't break the bank. I think it was $30 for GA or something along those lines. I do remember that I couldn't afford the t-shirts and I ended up getting a silly bandana because I was determined to get *something* from the merch stand. I am pretty sure the tie-dye shirts cost more than the others.

Edited by stella

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I like Neil Young very much. Saw him about 7 years ago and he put on a great show. My daughter was named after a song I first heard on The Last Waltz where he played with The Band in San Francisco 1978. 

Your daughters called 'Helpless'? Well, he also played 'Four Strong Winds' at that concert but it isn't on the film.

I'm seeing Neil in June, Leeds.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Your daughters called 'Helpless'? Well, he also played 'Four Strong Winds' at that concert but it isn't on the film.

I'm seeing Neil in June, Leeds.

Nah it was Evangeline by Emmylou Harris. Same show though. :lol: 

There's a 4 disc CD recording of the whole show with all the other songs though if I recall.

Edited by Dazey

6 hours ago, cooker said:

Trunk isn't a bad guy, just a shameless self Promoter. What better way to sell the product of Trunk, wave around how in the know you are. 

What is his product? He appears to be a guy who talks about music, but mainly just hints that he talks about it with others

I balked on the $45 shirt and then bought a rip-off "Not in this Lifetime Tour" shirt for $10 from a dude on the corner after the Friday show. He only had XL and XXL but I'm an L and you can shrink that shit in the wash.

I ended up giving it to my friend, who is a big GNR fan but couldn't make it.

Just now, GibsonLP said:

What is his product? He appears to be a guy who talks about music, but mainly just hints that he talks about it with others

His show, his merch, anything that pertains to his making a living. It's not a bad thing, it is what it is. 

16 minutes ago, cooker said:

His show, his merch, anything that pertains to his making a living. It's not a bad thing, it is what it is. 

Yeah. I'll acknowledge that at least he has told us there is a lot to look forward to, and that has me amped as shit. Just bought a new Les Paul after seeing the Vegas shows

• Like 1

Just now, GibsonLP said:

Yeah. I'll acknowledge that at least he has told us there is a lot to look forward to, and that has me amped as shit. Just bought a new Les Paul after seeing the Vegas shows

You're still flying high. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cooker said:

You're still flying high. 

Yeah I am. Hoping they make it down to New Zealand so I can see it all again

1 minute ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

Really don't understand the hate for Trunk....

Who else promotes rock/metal music this much nowadays? 

He has a love for the music

I don't hate him at all, I'm sure he's a great guy. Just after such a long wait I'm worn out on hints. Not his fault though because he's being respectful. And I really respect the band for giving us solid info when they give info, rather than maybes. This is just going to get better and better as we go along

I don't hate Eddie Trunk but his last interview with Axl and Dj (who wouldn't stop talking :P) was terrible. Axl would be talking about interesting things (like the Illusions tour) and he wouldn't ask anything, like he was too worried about Axl getting mad and leaving or something.

Hopefully, next time he'll make the questions and leave it to Axl to decide whether he wants to answer them or not.

7 hours ago, RussTCB said:

My biggest problem is the complaining about t-shirt prices. News flash Ed.... Concert t-shirts have been floating around the $45 mark for over a decade. It has nothing to do with reunions being about money. It has everythi to do with the crash in album sales and every artist charging more for other things to make the money they're losing on album sales.

Exactly. For a guy who makes a living off of bands and watching concerts, it's odd that he didn't know that $45 is average - to - low - for concert T-shirts these days. And the little dig, suggesting this shows reunions are about money, was just - uh - weird. Does Eddie think this is the '80s, where bands make millions of dollars from record sales?  Doesn't he realize that merch, shows and sponsors are the way bands can make money - or even break even - these days?  Just all round strange comments. 

I've always liked Eddie though. And I think people are being a little hard on him for not disclosing everything he was told. If he made promise to Axl or other band members not to share some info for now, he needs to keep that promise. And I think letting fans know there are surprises to come is just meant to get fans excited - not to brag. jmo. 

4 hours ago, stella said:

If I can find mine from hat tour, I will be wearing it!

15 minutes ago, fabrph5 said:

If I can find mine from hat tour, I will be wearing it!

I still have my tie-dye Illusions shirts from back in the day too. 

The quality of the fabric was better back then too. 

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I've never come across t-shirts that have been $45 before, which would be about £30. I bought a t-shirt at a Neil Young show and it was around £20 ($28). £18-£20 is how much they cost at the shows I've been to.

Guns, AC/DC, Maiden and Motley were all $40 these last tours 

1 minute ago, GoBucky said:

Guns, AC/DC, Maiden and Motley were all $40 these last tours 

But I live in the United Kingdom and the Neil shirt I bought certainly did not exceed £20, nor did any of the others.

I think you yanks are being ripped off!

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

But I live in the United Kingdom and the Neil shirt I bought certainly did not exceed £20, nor did any of the others.

I think you yanks are being ripped off!

That's possible, but Neil Young isn't an arena act over here anymore, so his shirts would be a tad cheaper. Btw, the man rocks!