I don't believe in CD2 with the old musicians

Slash, Duff and Axl will be working on completely new material. Axl may have lyrics from CD2 he uses but the music will be given a completely fresh release. They will never release a proper version of Silkworms as that was Pitman's baby and there's no way Axl will pay him a dime.

31 minutes ago, SlashMartin said:

Slash, Duff and Axl will be working on completely new material. Axl may have lyrics from CD2 he uses but the music will be given a completely fresh release. They will never release a proper version of Silkworms as that was Pitman's baby and there's no way Axl will pay him a dime.

Silkworms was to become Pittman's magnum opus. Alas, it wasn't to be... :cry: I'm crying, hand me a towel...

Edited by action
  • Like 1

Just now, action said:

Silkworms had to be Pittman's magnum opus. Alas, it wasn't to be... :cry: I'm crying, hand me a towel...

haha, if slash and duff did work on chinese material, hopefully they do leave silkworms out of it 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2016 at 0:39 PM, action said:

you are talking as if Axl is king and emperor, and he alone decides who, or what, will be on the next album. a bit like king kanute commanding the waves.

In fairness, I did say that all parties involved will need to compromise i.e. Axl, the band and the record company.

the reality is, a new record needs to be approved by a record company to ever have a chance of being released. Money needs to be made, preferrably huge truckloads of it. Slash + Axl is where the money is, that much is a certainty these days. Now that Slash is back in the band, no record company will want to release an album without him featuring to a huge extent.  well, not a company that wants to make money that is. (which is incidently, what all companies want to do.)

Right. And I totally agree and I did make the point that when e.g. BBF and Frank came in, they weren't in a position to say "I want to be all over the record." And likewise, the record company wouldn't have demanded that either. It's obviously different now with Slash and Duff. Everyone is going to have to compromise quite a bit and maybe more than each party would like. But let's just say it comes down to a case of, for the sake or argument, e.g. the record company and Slash demanding that 50%+ of the songs are new songs written with the current band and Axl says e.g. 50% of the songs will feature Slash on lead but not necessarily on newly written songs. From the record company and Slash's perspective, it it's a case of doing what Axl wants or there being no album at all, do you honestly think they're going to stand their ground over it? Even if the record company were being difficult, I can honestly say I think Slash would support Axl at this point anyway. Just look at the compromises they've made in the live shows! 

the truth of the matter is, CD was a flop already. and it was released with the fans desperate to hear something new after 15 years of nothing. well, they have, and the reactions were mixed to put it mildly. Imagine how much of them will buy another album featuring these same musicians.

Kinda getting into separate issues here but imagine if CD had been promoted by all parties the way e.g. U2 and their record company promote their albums. 

4 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

excellent point

"Robin's work on the next (albums) is done." Axl - 2008

Plenty more quotes since then including him thinking of the next record as the second half of Chinese. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The thing about the whole CD, and this goes back to 1999 or whenever he returned from sabbatical, is Axl did not and never had the first possible clue about the whole thing and was speaking mostly gibberish in those old Chinese interviews. You cannot factor in replacements for instance (and their musical contributions) as if it was all some part of a preordained 'Axl scheme'; Axl had not even met any of these guys until the guy they were replacing had gotten sick and buggered off - nor can you factor in the reunion. Axl said a load of bollocks about 'trilogies', which then suddenly morphed into a ''double album'' then disappeared without a trace leaving only the one album.

Face facts, he was making it up as he went along haha.

23 hours ago, Free Bird said:

This thread is so... :facepalm:

I won't say Axl will or will not release CD II because I don't know. I said there won't be a reunion but there is, I said Slash won't play CD tunes but he does, so who am I to say what will happen?

But some forum members are way to self opinionated. Axl said this, Axl said that. Bullshit. First at all Axl said there won't be a reunion before he or Slash will die.

To me they look both pretty alive. And that says it all. Axl doesn't care what he said once. And GNR never did something everybody was expecting. Never. So don't be so sure, guys, about what will happen or not, because you just don't know, as much as you may want it.

But nobody including me has quoted or referenced anything Axl said back in 2002 about a trilogy or anything along those lines. The furthest i've gone back is 2008 and everything he's said has been consistent right up to the China Exchange interview where he said he has played Slash and Duff some of the new material and they liked it and it's up to them whether they want to work on things. 

So there is nothing to support the "self-opinionated," as you call it, wish-thinking of those stating that the next album will be an all-new collaboration with the current lineup and plenty to back up what i'm saying, as i've outlined. Is it absolutely impossible that Axl will completely change his mind, as you're implying? Of course not! But there's nothing to suggest he will. 

Edited by Jordan Rose
  • Like 1

It's not that difficult to see that if they were to release a new album that it would include Slash (if he wanted to do it, according to Axl himself) and it would include songs already written by Axl (again, according to Axl himself) but redone by Slash...EXACTLY like they are currently doing NOW with the CD songs.

Anyone that thinks they will keep 10 -15 year old, outdated material from other musicians, on a new album which features Slash, is just being nonsensical.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

But nobody including me has quoted or referenced anything Axl said back in 2002 about a trilogy or anything along those lines. The furthest i've gone back is 2008 and everything he's said has been consistent right up to the China Exchange interview where he said he has played Slash and Duff some of the new material and they liked it and it's up to them whether they want to work on things. 

So there is nothing to support the "self-opinionated," as you call it, wish-thinking of those stating that the next album will be an all-new collaboration with the current lineup and plenty to back up what i'm saying, as i've outlined. Is it absolutely impossible that Axl will completely change his mind, as you're implying? Of course not! But there's nothing to suggest he will. 

All I said is you just don't know.

If Guns would release a full album tomorrow with nothing but completely new music Axl would find 3647 excuses why he choosed to drop the old stuff. That's the world Axl lives in.

And you would be the first person who eould believe him.

• Like 1

Everyone in favor of the band starting from scratch realizes that process will most likely take multiple years to complete? It's not a band that historically releases material in quick fashion, and most albums contain songs that had been worked on for years. Also to add, the last time these guys tried to write an album, it broke up the band. They couldn't agree on the vision. Why take that risk and revisit? 

You have songs now that are ready, with lyrics, that Axl wants to work on and release. Slash and Duff can come in and add their spin to them. They might even have more of a creative license to rearrange/add different riffs, etc... since no one has heard the other versions as of yet and there are no expectations on what it should sound like. That is a more attractive scenario for the label, who wants to capitalize on the momentum that is out there now/in the next 18 mths....not in 3/4years in what could be a saturated market. For Slash/Duff, what they lack in writing credits is made up by another reason to perform live over the world again and make touring revenue. 

• Like 1

Since this is seen as not a reunion, but "old members rejoining", there's more freedom to keep some of the stuff slated for CD2.  Just add Slash's guitar solos (and possibly replace Paul Tobias's guitar parts with Fortus's parts) and add Duff's backing vocals, maybe splitting bass tracks with Tommy's old tracks.   

"What I heard was something that he had painted over too many times."

"So, by the time I heard it, the original content was lost and it was just a highly produced piece of something." (Bob Ezrin, HitChannel, 04/12/12)

I hope they heed the words of Bob Ezrin because otherwise we're gonna get the same mess!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

Everyone in favor of the band starting from scratch realizes that process will most likely take multiple years to complete? It's not a band that historically releases material in quick fashion, and most albums contain songs that had been worked on for years. Also to add, the last time these guys tried to write an album, it broke up the band. They couldn't agree on the vision. Why take that risk and revisit? 

You have songs now that are ready, with lyrics, that Axl wants to work on and release. Slash and Duff can come in and add their spin to them. They might even have more of a creative license to rearrange/add different riffs, etc... since no one has heard the other versions as of yet and there are no expectations on what it should sound like. That is a more attractive scenario for the label, who wants to capitalize on the momentum that is out there now/in the next 18 mths....not in 3/4years in what could be a saturated market. For Slash/Duff, what they lack in writing credits is made up by another reason to perform live over the world again and make touring revenue. 

Appetite was written in just over one year and recorded in about a month.

• Like 1

I don't think we will see CDII anytime soon, to be fair i don't know if we will see a Guns N Roses album anytime soon, albums don't make the $$$$$ unfortunately<_<

I sometimes think that the next time you hear any new Axl material is when he sadly passes away and someone who owns the estate decides to sell something to make a quick buck!! ... well unless Angus decides on a new AC/DC album and Axl is the man to be the frontman.

But then this is just me, by November we could have something about a new album..... maybe Appetite 30th Anniversary with maybe 3 to 4 new songs that were written at the time and recorded recently , but who knows!!!! 

34 minutes ago, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

any word on CD2 from Axl? 

Going by what he said in the china exchange interview which is his latest cd 2 statement I think... not soon which could be years. Will probably take years if i had to guess. 

On 8/1/2016 at 4:18 PM, Slash787 said:

So why din't he write anything during the CD era? he was there since 2002, Bumblefoot who joined in 2006 has more contributions to CD than Fortus. 

I think Richard said that he had a lot more to do with the songs that aren't on CD, supposedly the 20-30 other songs have more Richard.

ANYWAY! there's no reason for you or anyone else to run the guy down at every opportunity. I understood DJ, because he couldn't play the material and he looked liked a tool, but Richard is doing a fantastic job, and he is a killer guitar player from whatever angle you try to look at it from. 

He doesn't have the writing credits for many released GnR songs, but I'm confident he could work well with Slash, Duff, Axl, Dizzy, Frank and Melissa and create something that I'd like to listen to as a GnR fan. 

I think it's likely that we get the remainder of the best bits of CD, with re-recorded / re-written parts by Slash / Duff etc. as well as MAYBE a handful of new songs. It is also quite possible that Axl would say "I really like the energy of what's happening now, I want to make a completely brand new record with this band". My point is that we're all guessing!

I want Slash and Duff contributions to a new record, just like I wanted the last line-ups contributions to be on a record... obviously didn't happen. Current line up should feature heavily on a new record, with cross over from the past... no point throwing away potentially great songs.

Wow, it's 2016. Slash and Duff have returned to the band and there are still waiting for CD2?

Throughout the thread, I had to read some stupid comments I hadn't read in a while, like:

GNR historically takes time to release albums - Axl's solo album took a long time to be released. GNR released a lot of music from 87 to 93.

The label didn't promote CD - Please, stop rewriting history to justify CD's lack of success. Stop lying to yourself, CD failed because the music was not good. Because it was Axl selling his music using the GNR name. It was very low from him, justified by money and greed. Just stop.

"Axl said this, Axl said that" - Well, when Axl is pressured with the hard questions he will eventually lie. He can't stand the pressure and he's not mature enough to say "well, I screwed things up with the old band, I'm unable to release music without adding 90 layers of synth to them, etc." He will say he has the intention, he's looking very seriously in that regard, blah blah blah. He's a compulsive liar when it comes to releasing music. Or as Rovim used to say, He lies but he's still brutally honest. :lol:

Axl fanatics still amuse me with their completely insane beliefs. Here's a tip, fanatics: Enjoy this nostalgia tour, enjoy Axl doing what he's able to do, perform old songs and nothing else, enjoy Slash adding rather generic (but still good) solos to Axl' solo songs they cover during the shows because that's all we will get from GNR. All these years I've been saying it was either reunion or retirement for Axl and I was right. Next step? As sad as it sounds but it's retirement time.

• Like 2

Actually, I think CD is a very underrated album with some really good musicianship in it. The biggest problem with the album is the fact Slash and Duff and the old members weren't featured on it. Lots of fans got discouraged by that very fact. It was one of those crippling 'labels' attached to the album and no matter how good it was, it was never really bound to be hugelly accepted by either fans or reviewers.

I believe CD2 might have some good stuff in it..and it would be good to have Slash and Duff working on it i.e. adding their signatures to it.

Edited by Kenan
  • Like 3