25 years ago

I remember the day quite well. I was a broke college kid and didn't have the cash to go buy 2 albums that day, and was kinda bummed out. My roommate however was pretty well supplied with cash, and he surprised me when I got back from class. He had been to the record store and bought both! We fired up the bong & listened to them a couple times. So many great songs & the difference from Appetite was our impression I remember. Then we wore those albums out for the next couple years. Good times!

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I miss those days :( 

I loved to have a browse through and sometimes I'd buy albums just because I thought the album cover was cool. 

I'm lucky enough to still have a record store in my city. It's doing quite well too. I always make sure to swing by whenever I'm home for a visit

• Like 1

There's a record store downtown where I live that deals mostly in used CDs and vinyl. I've picked up just some awesome albums that I took a flyer on for $3 or something. When you can buy an album that cheap, it doesn't bother you if it blows... 

In fact, I was in there last night & they had UYI 2 in there for $5...

14 hours ago, xBrownstonex said:

...on this day, history was made. Use Your Illusion I and II saw the light of day and influenced the lifes of millions of people.

Thank you for everything

Some of the people in that video either were paedos or grew up to be paedos. You can just tell.

13 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I'm lucky enough to still have a record store in my city. It's doing quite well too. I always make sure to swing by whenever I'm home for a visit

we have a few here where i live. i got some cool AC/DC albums but now i need to find a needle for the stereo i have!

Appetite for Destruction is most likely the greatest rock'n'roll record ever made. I say ‘most likely’ only because let’s face it, neither you nor I have heard every single rock album ever recorded. There’s always a chance we missed something. But I don’t say most likely because I think, say, the White Album is better. It’s not. Sure, The Beatles are better than GN’R, I’m not a fucking madman, but they never released anything as consistently excellent as Appetite. Nobody has.

It was the ultimate, declarative, turn-out-the-lights-we’re-done-here statement on every single reckless and righteous rock n’ roll cliche ever concocted, a Nagasonic teenage warhead of belligerence and bluster wrapped around sleaze-metal guitars so gnarly and toxic you could contract an STD just from whiffing the vinyl. Appetite was about the loss of innocence, there’s and ours, and it dragged an entire generation of hair-bear goofs into the stark realities of life on the streets. It made rock'n'roll dangerous again. It made the people who played it dangerous to the public and themselves. It made you dangerous just from basking in it’s sinister neon glow.

But I mean, that was it. The band was poor and hungry and skinny when they made it, living in a storage shed somewhere and subsisting on whatever crumbs their various girlfriends brought around. By the time they were contracted to record their follow-up, forget it. They were drug-addled millionaires who had thoroughly lost the plot. And so they created an unwieldy beast of a double-album so bloated and unmanageable that no one could even make heads or tails of it.

Use Your Illusion I&II is exactly what too much money and too much privilege does to a band and not only did it cause the bedrock of GN’R’s core to crumble, it betrayed the very essence of what made GN’R great in the first place. A lion doesn’t have to explain he’s a lion. And a lion would never have madeEstranged. The lethal charm of Appetite is that it was the work of sharp-eyed predators, predators who created an album so perfect no one can touch it even thirty years later. Predators who were lean and mean and possessing of keen feral intelligence. Illusion sounds like something fat dummies would make.

But all is not lost. Deep within the stacks and stacks of Illusion’s so-so’s and eye-rollers there exists a great rock'n'roll record. NotAppetite great, but certainly, you know, Van Halen II great. We just need to do some surgery. Here, then, is the Illusion that could’ve been.

Side 1

You Could Be Mine

This was the Illusion project’s first single but for some reason it was buried on II. It is the most obvious successor to Appetite on both albums and makes the perfect introduction to the new big-budgeted, space-age version of GN’R. It’s just as snaky and venomous as anything on the first record, only it’s bigger, louder, and clangs like a giant robot in a airplane hangar. It whets the appetite (ahem) for the destruction that is surely to come. Load it in up front and you’ve got one hell of a party-starter.

Dead Horse

Both Illusions are stuffed with Emperor’s New Clothes moments, most of them courtesy W. Axl who, according to all known accounts, was acting about as rationally as Scarface during the recording sessions. So we are obviously deleting all those embarrassing moments forever. I mean, was there no one around to tell this dude that “I’ll kick your bitchy little ass” is about the most bitchy little thing you could possibly say? Anyway, this was the most authentically rock'n'roll song Rose composed for these albums. It’’s a great metal-y Stones rip-off, and keeps things flowing nicely.

Don’t Cry

The 80’s were over, sure, but a great power-ballad is still a great power-ballad. Originally tracked at song number four on part I, I’d cinch it up one to provide a short breather for the ruckus to follow. It’s also the last time we need anything soppy from these dudes. If you’re that much into November Rain, you can have it on a b-side or a bonus EP or something. This is not a Queen record, man.

Pretty Tied Up

Another ferocious glam-slammer shoved into a corner in part IIPretty Tied Up is a fantastically sleazy little number that harkens back to the band’s salad days. It sounds like the work of dangerous men with disturbing proclivities, and it rocks like crazy. As the 90’s wore on, songs like this became the province of Scandinavian action-rockers like The Hellacopters which is fine and all, but it’s kind of a drag that Guns traded in snarly rockers like this one for whatever Queensryche/NIN bullshit was going on in Chinese Democracy. They had more of this in them, I’m sure of it.

Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door

You gotta acknowledge that the band is older and wiser at this point (well, older at least), so this one pretty much does exactly that. No way the Appetite version was sitting around listening to Dylan, but now? Sure, why not? It’s also got “classic rock” stamped all over it, in a way that never existed for Guns before. It’s what they sound like with all the punk drained out. It’s also just a great song, no matter who sings it.

The Garden

Why not close side one with a surprise cameo? Alice Coooper pops up outta nowhere on this delightfully bonkers ode to drugs, strippers, New York City and other forms of madness that finds the band wandering into psychedelic metal territory, and thoroughly nailing it. As with Knockin’, it shows maturity with restraint. And it’s fun, even if it’s about being fucked-up on heroin

The article-

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-09-17/hey-guns-n-roses-we-ve-fixed-use-your-illusion

my use your illusion album (tracks in no particular order) would be:  perfect crime, dust n' bones, bad obsession, double talkin' jive, garden of eden, dead horse, coma, locomotive, estranged, you could be mine, civil war.  in my opinion, that album would have been on par with appetite.  tons of tunes i love that i left off the list........at the end of the day, i'm happy they released it as 2 albums.

You could also include some of the Spaghetti Incident songs that were recorded during the UYI sessions.

It would have been a double album (they were still putting vinyl out but it wasn't a priority to make 20 minutes a side anymore) because they would have filled up a 78 minute CD, but Coma, Locomotive, Civil War, Estranged would have taken up half the album, or would have resorted to editing 2 minutes out and have the single mix of November Rain on the album, and probably would have put out the full version as a 12" mix and cassingle (remember those?). They were still selling a lot of singles and we probably would have the other UYI songs turned into b-sides or put on EPs. Either way, they would have found a way to release the songs. 

The anniversary was the same day I went to the AC/DC show, and I REALLY wanted to wear a UYI shirt to mark the event. Problem is, I don't have one. All of the really good ones (like from the tour) are out of print and cost SO much money to buy online. Anyway I ended up wearing a GnR shirt to the show but would've been nice if I could've carried out my original plan. Oh well, one day I'll get myself one.

I just love these records, and just as they are! I don't think I would change anything about them, and I've never been able to choose which I love more, 1 or 2. So, my question to all of you is, which one do you like more and why?

back in the good old record store days , i was in sams records (toronto) i remember picking up kill em all and something caught my eye i picked it up and called my buddie over and said look at these hot chicks .... it was the first poison album , no exaggeration  whatsoever ...

when the illusions were comming out in my area nothing topped it in terms of massive hype and massive line ups at midnight .